cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mixed emotions

8 REPLIES 8
poemsgalore

Re: Mixed emotions

By all means keep in touch. Also, when you do begin chemo, it would be a good idea to join one of the monthly chemotherapy threads which are here: http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/bd-p/Chemotherapy_monthy_thread...

There is already one for January 2014 set up, but there will be more after that if you don't begin chemo by then. I'm a February Valentine (2013) and being part of a group who were all having chemo at roughly the same time was a real boost. We are all still close and planning a big meet up (via our private facebook page) in February next year. 

If you need to send me a PM on here, that's ok. hugs Kath (poemsgalore) xxx

rosie112

Good luck on your journey and keep positive. Big hugs Suzanne xxxx
Grannyjacks

Hi ladies. The title of this thread caught my attention as it really describes exactly what I feel. 'Mixed emotions'. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel biopsy 2 weeks ago and got my treatment plan today. I'm having quite a few sleepless nights and at times it is so hard to keep positive. I've been terrified, relieved, anxious, sad, hopeful, up, down and sometimes just numb. This forum is a tremendous support and thanks everyone for reminding me that I'm not alone in this journey and helping me find the strength to keep positive.
rosie112

Thank you for your kind and helpful advice, it has given me hope and courage.  It seems that everone has different experiences with chemo but as long as I get to live longer I don't care.  I will keep in touch if that is ok because it makes me feel better and not so alone.  Keep well and stay strong.  Big hugs Suzannexxxxxx

poemsgalore

Hi Suzanne,

I am very sorry to hear of your diagnosis and the choice you have to make. I was DX with ductal invasive cancer last November. I had MX and sentinal node biopsy at the same time. Tumour was 36mm, grade 3, ER/PR  positive and I had 1/3 nodes affeced. It was stage 2b. Believe me, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Whether you have chemo first to shrink the lump (which many women have done successfully) or having MX with or without reconstruction followed by chemo is really a matter of personal preference.  I didn't have recon after MX, but I had chemo. First one was Feb 5th and final one May 23rd. It was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. I am now on Tamoxifen and just had my first annual mammogram and I'm feeling fine. My other health problems are now causing problems, but not the cancer DX. 

You will find that whatever decision you make regarding when to have chemo - before or after - that when your treatment begins, you will begin to feel more positive. I'm sure you will see your sons to grow into fine young men with families of their own.

Sending hugs and good wishes. poemsgalore xx

rosie112

Hi, thank you for replying and I hope all goes well for you especially as you have found love again.  Do they do the chemo first or opperate. I have to ring for a scan appointment so thats the next hurdle as I am worried it has gone elsewhere.  I will keep in touch and thanks again. Big hugs Suzanne  xxxx

Lucy_BCC

Hi Rosie112

Welcome to the BCC forums where you will continue to find support and shared experiences from your fellow users, please also feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support. Lines open during the week 9-5 and 10-2 Saturday on 0808 800 6000

Here's a link to the BCC 'Just diagnosed' area of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas which you may find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care

Lucy BCC

Woowoowoo

Hiya,

I have just started chemo, I am on my 2nd dose. My nurse told me that if you going to get cancer - this is the place to get it. As they are so good these days at getting rid of it.  I have been told that they are going to kill it first with the chemo (total 18 sessions) I am totally confused as nurse said it is 6 of FEC and 6 of the other which my maths says is 12. It's confusing lol. then I am having the boob off and the lymph nodes out. Then radiotheraphy then pills for a few years. 

I have trouble sleeping, and you probably are going by the time you posted.  Doctor gave me some gentle sleeping pills, which I informed her were smarties a couple of days later.  She said that they gave me a very light dose, but have now doubled them, and I manage to sleep to around 5 am. Which is a massive improvement.  I have a thyroid problem and I am on thyroxine. I was reading the leaflet which came with the steroids and it says don't take them if you have thyroid.  Only problem with that is that I had already taken them.  Lol.  I am scared about this journey, but I am trying very hard to be positive.  I have 2 children 18 and 16.  A new husband. He  is an ex of mine from 30 years ago, we got back together last year, so I very much want and need to get better. Also my young 18 year daughter has a baby (didnt want her to have baby so young, but wow she is a great tonic everytime I see her).

Hope to hear back from you.

rosie112

Mixed emotions

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer which is also in my lymph node. I have been told I can have chemo in the hope of shrinking the lump and having my lymph nodes out or having a masectomy and lymph nodes out and chemo.  I feel like my head is in overdrive and terrified of it all.  I have a lovely supportive husband and two boys age 17 and 19 and cannot bear the thought of not seeing them grow further in life.  I have to wait for an MRI scan CT scan before they decide what stage its at but I am really scared there might not be light at the end of the tunnel.  Any advice would help. Love Suzanne