More Surgery :-(

I was diagnosed at the beginning of August. Had lumpectomy and a few nodes removed a few weeks ago. I hated being off work to recover, but was pleased I did, as it meant I healed well. Saw surgeon for results at the beginning of the week. The breast was clear, BUT they found cancer cells in the lymph nodes they removed :frowning:

I was so sure that if I needed more surgery it would of been on the breast. I never imagined it would be on the nodes. On the ultrasound prior to surgery, they had looked ā€˜normalā€™.

So now waiting for an appointment for surgery to have all the nodes removed. Also have been told I need to have a CT scan and Bone Scan to check it hasnā€™t spread. She said it was just precautionary and she doesnā€™t expect to find anything?! Why do I find that so hard to believe now?

On the start of this journey I was thinking surgery then radiotherapy! Thatā€™s not so bad, I could cope with that. But itā€™s clearly not that simple, and I am now realising that this could be a long hard battle.

Iā€™m not really sure why I am writing this. Just felt I needed to off load. I suppose I am also hoping that some of you might be able to tell me that things could still be okay?! I just feel so scared and fed up right now, and I feel having more surgery is like a step backwards. I want to be moving forward. I want to know what treatment lies ahead!

I just want my boring but normal life back.

Hi Nanny_Sal

I am sorry to read of your diagnosis and the tough time youā€™re having.Ā  Iā€™m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their advice and experiences.Ā 

In the meantime you might find it helpful to give the BCC helpline a call and talk things through.Ā  Here you can share your feelings and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.Ā  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Nanny-Sal,

Ā 

Just wanted to send you encouragement and support. You are just getting your head round the fact that it is a long haul, and finding out you have to have more surgery is tough. I might be that last person you want to hear from as I have had breast cancer twice (I have a brca mutation so I am rare and unusual for all the wrong reasons!) The second time, like you had to go back for lymph node removal when a tumour was unexpectedly found. The reason I wanted to reply to you was that I could remember thinking that I could not do more surgery. I remember complaining to my doctors that they were trying to kill me, not cure me (wasnā€™t I horrible?!) But you know what, I got through it and you will too.

Ā 

I would work out a little plan for yourself. It sounds like you want to keep things normal and you can. Ring the Helpline, they are great. Talk, talk. Give yourself treats. This time next year you will be in a very different place.

Ā 

Good luck, Rattles xx

Ā 

Hi,

Ā 

I had a WLE and sentinel node biopsy this Wednesday.Ā  Back home and coping ok but worried as told I have 40-50% chance of needing further surgery because of my circumstances.Ā  I donā€™t really understand why my circumstances increase the chances but it is something to do with having chemo first and the lump shrinking and the fact that I have only had sentinel nodes removed.Ā  Really donā€™t want to go through another op but I canā€™t find reference to anyone who hasnā€™t needed a second one.Ā  Hopefully will know this week but may be another week if results not backā€¦

Ā 

Any words of wisdom for me?

Ā 

Jo

x

Thanks Nanny Sal.Ā  My surgeon is also on holiday next week so they said if it is clear cut I can see the registrar next Thursday but if borderline and need a decision made will need to wait a further week for consultant to be back.Ā  Not great!Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™veĀ been off work since 1st May asĀ I am a teacher and couldnā€™t be in a class full of children whilst on chemoĀ due to immunity issues.Ā  Feels like foreverā€¦Ā  Trying to keep it in perspective - it will be worth it to be beat the cancer but it is such a long and draining process.Ā  All the best for your second op - hope you get a date soon. x

Hi Sal,Ā  Have had no internet for a couple of days so havenā€™t been able to post my news.Ā  The results are in and they are all good! Ā  They got good margins with the op and there was nothing found in any of the lymph nodes removed.Ā  So no second op needed and (drum roll) they have told me I no longer have cancer!Ā  Of course, I still have to have rads and ther ongoing herceptin treatment but these are preventative only now.Ā  Phew - big relief.Ā  I have now been told it will be about 6 weeks after op for rads to start which seems a long time, but hey hoā€¦Ā  Hope you get to hear soon too.Ā  Jo.Ā  x

Me tooā€¦I was diagnosed at mid July had lumpectomy and node removal I too now need further surgery to remove further lump and margins. Share the same feelings as you and feel a bit ā€œGroundhog dayā€ā€¦best of luck x

Sal,

Ā 

Great that your op is so soon, better to get it over and done with.Ā  All the very best for Tuesday, I will be thinking of you.Ā  Let me know how you get on.Ā  Jo x

<li-spoiler>Hi Sal, no other treatment as yet - have to have all surgeries and recovery complete first which is very frustrating. I do have control issues which donā€™t help so all my well planned lists and arrangements have been thrown into disarray. I go for the next surgery on October 9th possible 10 week recovery BEFORE radio can begin just because 2 surgeries to the same area in a a short space of time. Very small possibility of third surgery depending on pathology resultsĀ  - I did suggest they just perform a Mastectomy to be sure and also because I cannot tell you how sick and ill I am following anesthetic - for about 4/6 days following surgery I am a total mess and to be honest that is what scares and upsets me the most. I do hope your surgery is a success and that you too are soon on the road to recoveryĀ  - virtual hugs to you and yours x x</li-spoiler>

Ā 

Nerakq - Are you having a mx now then? Surely it is your decision?

Sounds promising.Ā  Donā€™t worry you will be fine and it will all be worth it toget rid of your alien!Ā  All the best - hope no delays due to cold. x

Crazy time for posting Sal - but congrats and yippee - 1st step complete.Ā  The drain will be gone soon and you can start to recover ready for the next stage - chemo?Ā  What are you having I may be able to give you some tips. x

Best of luck with your recovery Sal and keep in touchto let me know what is happening.Ā  x

Hi Sal,

I am in exactly the same position as you are, had a lumpectony and a node clearance but cancer cells were found in one of the nodes they removed so i am back in surgery again next Wednesday for the full node clearance then it is the awful wait to see it more are infected. I think this is worse than the thought of my chemo or radiotherapy and i just want these next few weeks to be done and gone :frowning: xxx

Sam

Aroha - the waiting is always the worst part in my experience.Ā  I worried loads before starting chemo and again before op but once it is underway you feel calmer.Ā  I had a biopsy before treatment because one of nodes seemed enlarged but it was clear. Then when I had SNB this showed no infected nodes of the 6 removed.Ā  Either way they can deal with it so feel secure in the knowledge that lots have gone through the same before you.Ā  All the best. x

Hi Sal
Well back home now after this second surgery. Feeling fine but a little uncomfortable as the drain is huge, like an old fashioned milk bottle but there is little in it and before I left hospital today the nurses said it could be out in a day or two so that would be great. Until then I will sit on my sofa watching TV s d drinking g tea. I should have my results for this by the 22nd so will know more then.
Hope you are ok
Sam xxx

Hi Sal
When is your scan ?
Sam xxxx

Hi Sal, ill be thinking about you tomorrow , I know it will be scary, Iā€™m dreading mine but it is part of this process and we need to have it done for peace of mind.
Crossing everything for you for tomorrow and Monday :slight_smile:
Sam xxx

Hi Aroha
How are you xxxx
Sam

Glad you are back home Sam.Ā 

Ā 

Sal good luck for bone scan today.Ā  I have never had a bone scan in my treatment!

Ā 

Ā