1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More mature post menopausal women

Lavenderlassie

Re: More mature post menopausal women

Thinking about you tomorrow, I had the Mx, axillary clearance and no recon, as was not allowed to have such a long anaesthetic.
I mind being lop sided sometimes but you forget about it for most of the time and learn to shop differently for clothes as needed.
I was relieved not to be having immediate recon as I felt any complications with that might hold up the chemo which i was going on to have.
Look up the pages
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/diagnosis/your-pathology-report
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/diagnosis/questions-you-may-want-ask
as I found these really helpful, and use them as a bsais for talking to your surgeon, breast care nurse and oncologist.
And call in here again!
It is not good, all this, but it's doable. And handbags on the floor.....!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mezzo and Lavender
Sorry I have not commented on your suggestions but my iphone has been upgraded and trying to set it up caused my computer to crash! It never rains but it pours! I have been to the GP about the aches and pains and she has diagnosed a possible cartilage tear in my right knee plus is testing for Polymyalgia Rheumatica which I know I have not got. This is all because I suggested that perhaps I might try the original Arimidex as opposed to the generic one. I suspect the original is expensive. Still, at least she is looking into it and I am having an xray on my knee tomorrow. None of this helps with the weight loss though. I might try asking to go on the exercise programme you suggested - surely that won't cost the surgery too much.
Mezzomamma

Hi Madjock, waiting and not knowing are really difficult parts of this BC lark. Lots of people find information hard to take in when they're just trying to take in that big bad word. They will test the tissue they remove in your operation and use this additional information, along with factors like your general health, to work out the best treatment for you.
It's a good idea to write questions down as you think of them and then take it along--I had a list nearly every time I saw a doctor, nurse or anyone else. Some people find it's best to have someone go with them to help remember the questions and the answers. Your Breast Care Nurse is another good person to take questions to, as well as being the person to phone if you are worried or if you have any problems following surgery. You can ask them about the bone scan, for example: was it just to check your bone density? I had to have a scan just to make sure it was ok for me to take an anti-oestrogen, for example.
If you weren't a bit nervous about the whole thing, you'd be more than a little daft! Take as much pain relief as you need, no false heroics, and don't be shy about asking about things or asking for help.
Best wishes for a good recovery.

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening ladies
I’m a woman of the more mature persuasion - 65 years old and will have a mastectomy with ANC tomorrow 29th (no recon).
I haven’t been told what other treatments, if any, I will need. They tell me the cancer is in the lymph nodes but not sure how many so I suppose it will depend on how many nodes are affected as to what my treatment will be, am I correct in this assumption? I’m sure over the next few weeks I will need a lot of help and advice about what’s going on, as when I get to the hospital I can’t think of anything to ask. I obviously put on a good show of understanding every word the doctor says to me, but I don’t really, just want to get out of the place asap because I know that this is not happening to me, it’s a bad dream and I’ll wake up laughing about it – I do laugh now and then.

I had a bone scan on Thursday and it would have been nice if someone had bothered to tell me the results but I don’t suppose it really matters at the moment one less thing to worry about.

I’m not usually such a grumpy old woman, think I’m just getting a wee bit nervous as the only time I’ve ever been in hospital was childbirth and as most of you know that pain is worth it and soon forgotten or we would all be one child families.

Ah well going to pack my bag as I have to be at the hospital at 7.30 (‘silly o’clock’ my daughter says) and I hope to be out the following day.

Well ladies it’s dancing round the handbags time to join in with Gloria Gaynor singing ‘I Will Survive’

Thank you all for listening to me.

Mezzomamma

Hi all. I know someone who is '21 + VAT '=100 earlier this year!

Mini, I've been lucky with Arimidex, although I did find it seemed to make some of my existing post-menopause aches and pains and the night sweats a bit worse for a while. I understand that some people react differently to different fillers and coatings in medications, so it might be worth asking your GP or oncologist about a different formulation. And don't forget to ask about help with the pain and stiffness in themselves.

I've just seen my GP about medication to help with some of the longer term problems I've been having--pain from my 2 surgeries in autumn 2010 and resulting sleep problems, plus the tiredness that seems to hit just when you think you're recovering from all the treatment (chemo and rads following surgery). A low-dose antidepressant seems to be helping, and we're trying to work out the optimum level. I've also asked to be referred to the NHS exercise programme, to help with regaining fitness and losing my menopausal weight.

No grandchildren yet, so I'm so jealous of you grannies!

Lavenderlassie

Haven't tried cycling for years-we met a Dad with his little girl on a seat behind him on the bike when we were out walking yesterday and it looked lovely. I would have a go if there was a towpath but we live in a very up and down area of Sussex so too hilly for me to cycle. The long walk yesterday was quite an achievement for me as I have lung problems as well, scars on my lung from a smokers' disease in a non smoker, so it reduces what I can do. But even with that, the more I do, the more I can do.
Re the SEs of arimidex, I can't help from direct experience- but do know the misery of flushes and joint aches associated with an early menopause.
I don't know how long you have been on the forum here, but there have been threads about SEs with hormone therapies, as I looked them up for a friend a few months ago. This is the only one I can find at the moment, we need the team to get the new search facility going.
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/undergoing-treatment-hormone-therapy/arimedex-weight-gain
Again, it is for a different reason but I put on two and a half stone with long term steroids, and have reduced that by 15lbs by the walking, only (counts on fingers and gasps) to go. If I had kept up more this spring it would have been better.
What complimentary treatment have you been having?

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Lavender
Thanks for your encouragement. I feel very lucky so far but I am struggling with the SE of the pills - hopefully my body will eventually get used to them. I'd like to encourage you to get back on the treadmill (not literally) as I am sure you know exercise helps in many ways not least in lifting depression. The feel good factor is worth the effort even though at the moment I am finding it rather painful. I have a few friends who keep prodding me into action, bless them so that helps. Have you tried cycling? There are lots of new cycle paths fairly near to me so I have started using those. Most of them are alongside canals and rivers which means no hills! In good weather it is a really pleasant way to exercise. I hadn't ridden a bike for 30 years until last year and they are right - you never forget how!
Good luck with the return to fitness.

Mini
x
Lavenderlassie

Hallo, Minimavis!
Thank you for posting on this thread as it made it appear in latest posts and I can add it to the collection of posts I get reminders about, again!
I am 67, had mastectomy and ANC in late July 2010, followed by chemo. Triple Neg so no hormonal therapy.
I felt I was getting back to previous "normal" by autumn 2011 so you are doing fine. The combination of rads and then side effects of hormonal therapy must take a bit of getting used to/over. I find a walking programme helped to get me fitter- then after a chest infection in January I fell off the virtuous wagon, and am now struggling to get fitter again.
Best wishes
Lavender
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,
I am 66 and had a mx in August 2011 with full node clearance. Have completed Rads and am lucky not to have chemo - just Anastrazole (arimidex). The SE are horrendous! Hot flushes I can live with but the joint and muscle stiffness is causing a lot of problems as is the weight gain. I have tried some complimentary therapies to no avail. I have a newish granddaughter (17 months) who I love to play with but find getting up and down to her is a nightmare. I think a forum for the more mature sufferers is a very good idea and would love to hear from anyone who has any ideas. I really enjoy walking for exercise but find that increasingly difficult - perhaps it is just old age!
Reading all your posts has been a tonic in itself. Thank you!
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ch280, Thankyou for your thoughts X Maver

ch280

Hi everyone,
I have now got the date for my planning session - next week on May 2nd and the rads start on 15/5.
Lemondrop, sorry to hear that you have also suffered with an ovarian tumour. I also take my arimidex at bed time and hope that this means that if there are any nasty SEs I am blissfully unaware of them! My husband and I laugh about the hot flushes - he says it is kind of the NHS to reduce our heating bills!
Maver, so sorry to hear that your treatment plan has been turned on its head but hopefully things will be clearer after the MX. I am thinking of you.
CH280

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello again everyone, ch280 my situation sounds very similar to yours. I am having my 12th rad today so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have not had any sweats etc. with Arimidex but I did not during the menopause either.I also had a laperotomy just over 5 years ago following ovarian tumour so had a total hysterectomy then and did not have any sweats after that either. I am expecting them this time though! Do you take your Arimidex at night? I find I sleep through most of the side-effects this way. Hope you all have a good day. Are any of you in the Birmingham Q.e. for your rads? Thinking about you all. xxPam.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Everyone, I am as you put it one of the more muture! I'm 64 nearly 65. live in Essex, Recently had a lumpectomy, Nodes were clear, was supposed to have one of the hormone theapy's after, then RADS, But am having a MX middle of May instead as they think they didn't get it all, Surgeon said prob wont need RADS after, other treatments so far has not been mentioned, so not sure what to expect now as my treatment plan has been turned on its head. I have 4 Granchildren ages from 1 to 11 Lovely to meet you all Maver

ch280

Hello Everyone,
It is good to see a thread specifically for those of us who are 'more mature'. (I'm 60). I was diagnosed in March, had WLE and SNB on March 20 which fortunately was clear so no need for chemo. I also have been prescribed Arimidex and so far have not had any bad SE- just a few hot flushes, in the evenings mostly, so not bad at all. I am hoping that when I see my GP for a repeat prescription he will agree to keeping me on Arimidex, rather than changing to a generic as I really don't want to have any other SE.
Due to start 3 weeks of rads soon though I haven't got the date for that as yet. Saw the oncologist last week so am expecting my appointment for the planning session soon. Don't really know what to expect from the rads but will be pleased to get it done. It is certainly good to have the support of so many - knowing that you are not alone with your BC is really helpful ~( though it is a shame that it gets so many us!)

jiggyjoo

Love the '23' with 40 years life experience. Will also use that one as I'm similar age!

Just wondered if any of you ladies are on Tamoxifen and what SE if any you are getting? I had WLE and SNB last year,fortunately clear but because of high grade of tumour had to have chemo and rads. I was originally put on Arimidex but because of low bone density was changed to Tamoxifen with Ad/Cal and Alendronic Acid. I have lots of hot flushes and also a very dry throat.

Have a good day.

x

hazelmary

Hello Lemondrop,

Just saw your post about self-funding of Arimidex, I am assuming that you are only being offered generics. I posted on another topic about generic drugs which I have cut and pasted below

"I went to see my Onc on Wed and the subject of generic drugs came up( I am on Letrozole).

He said that a number of his patients are having problems with generic versions and had had a letter from a GP asking him why they had to prescribe Femara and not the cheaper version. He said that if it was purely down to cost he would agree as the NHS needs to save money but where the patients are experiencing severe side effects on these drugs that they did not experience on Femara and it is affecting the quality of their lives they should be offered the expensive drug. Sensible approach I think"

He was quite determined that we should not have to put up with the increased side effects and knowing my Onc he won't let it go.

Hazel

Guest user
Not applicable

Good Moring Everyone, Lavender Lassie, sorry for the confusion, sadly I have not yet sorted my Arimidex, I am self-funding the second month whilst doing battle with the P.C.T. Kit20 I do not envy you a journey on 3 buses each time. Hello to GrannyC, Araminta9 and Loula it is nice to meet you all. xx Pam P.S. Hope I have got everyone's name and number right.

loula

Hello everyone and welcome to the newcomers.
Grannyc - I agree that you should have been told the purpose of the rads meeting, sounds like sheer thoughtlessness on someone's part, so moan away, you've every right to!
Lemondrop - I liked the 23 with 40 years experience of being 23, I'll remember that one for future use!

Love Loula

araminta9

another one here - I'm just short of 60 and was diagnosed lsat April with lobular cancer in one breast. Had a WLE and SNB and happily the nodes were clear, so 3 weeks of radiotherapy and now Femara for five years and everything crossed. I've just had my first mammogram post-treatment and it was clear. Nice to meet you ladies

kit20

Hiya I went into menopause at 36 and was on hrt for 17 years. I really wish now that I had just suffered the hot flushes then as I have them now anyhow. Still I was diagnosed in december and have had surgery, am nearly finished RADS and am on femara for 5 years. BC is no fun at any age and every age group has differnt problems to contend with. My main one has been that I cannot drive because of bad eyesight and have to get three buses to the hospital each day. It does make you appreciate living though and the support of loved ones.

Lavenderlassie

Hallo Pam and welcome-apart from confusing my ageing brain with sums re your age!
Glad that the battles for Arimidex were successful and wishing you well as you go
Lavender
(slightly worried I have pressed the wrong button as didnt post first time)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello Everyone, would you mind if I join you too? I already post on the "starting rads in april" thread but it is nice to find one for us mature ladies. I am 23 with 40 years experience of being 23. Just over half way through my rads and all going well. WLE in early March, clear lymph nodes, didn't need chemo so I know I am very lucky. I started Arimidex a month ago and it has not been too bad so far, apart from battles with my G.P. and P.C.T. over whether they will supply it. It is nice to have contact with others in this way and if I can support anyone else than I would be glad to. Thanks for listening Pam.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Loula,
How lovely to receive your reply. I feel part of the "family" already. No I will not need chemo first which is great. Your comments on tiredness are really encouraging . Funny how we tend to listen to negative things when we are worried. So I will now wait and see how it goes.
I have been trying to work out the abbreviations for myself. You can tell me If I have got them wrong.
dx- diagnosis. rads - radiotherapy. Bone mets - metasteses. SE - side effects. MX - mastectomy.

I had a frustrating day today. I was sent a clinic appointment at our very large hospital in Aberdeen. Being disabled I had to walk a Very long way as there were no blue badge spaces left. Had to wait 30 minutes only to find it was not a normal post-op appointment - just a doctor wanting to învite me to join a radiotherapy study. He knew nothing about my medical history. Just anxious to get me to join the trial. I got home 2 hours later Very tired.
I now have to wait for 2/3 weeks to start rads when I expected to start now. I feel I should have been told the purpose of the meeting So I could decide whether to go. Sorry for moaning. Sometimes we are made to feel very small and unimportant.
Kind regards, Grannyc.

loula

Hello GrannyC and welcome to the forum.
Will you be having chemotherapy before the radiotherapy? I had a WLE and SNB (Sentinel Node Biopsy)followed by four cycles of chemo and then 20 sessions of radio (every weekday for four weeks). The oncologist told me that about 50% of patients experience tiredness with the radiotherapy but it wasn't inevitable. I wasn't looking forward to it as it involved commuting to a central London hospital - 5min. car journey, 35min. train, 15min tube and then a 15 min. walk
but it wasn't bad at all. After the first session, which was longer as they have to take a lot of measurements, each zapping took only 5 mins, so afterwards I'd go for a coffee and then a bit of retail therapy before heading home. Three days a week I'm a hometutor after school and was never so tired that I had to cancel a lesson.
The oncologist also advised me against booking a holiday straight after the radio finished in case I was too tired to enjoy it, but I would have been perfectly all right.
So I hope your experience is as good as mine was!
Are there any particular abbreviations you need help with?

Loula
Loula

Janet_BCC

Dear nannycobb

I am glad you are finding the forum supportive. I have attached a link which explains some of the abbreviations used on the forum:

http://share.breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/abbreviations-and-acronyms-used-on-the--forum-t24993.html

I hope this helps

Very best wishes

Janet
BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello to you all,
Have just found this forum for my age group which is a great idea. I am 69 and have my first oncology appointment tomorrow. I have coped Very well with my operation (a wide local excision) and going back in to hospital with a complication. But I must admit to being nervous about tomorrow.
I am quite disabled with arthritis and have been granted hospital transport for the radiotherapy course. But I dread the expected tiredness as I am already finding getting through each day quite hard. Hope it turns out to be better than expected. I wonder If someone could tell me What all the abbreviations used on the forum mean?
I feel such a newbie in the world of breast cancer but am glad to be able to share with you all. Regards GrannyC

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone.

Have just found this thread today and hope it's OK to join. I'm 59. Originally had diagnosis of BC i Oct 2000. Had Mx and ANC followed by E-CMF and rads. Was clear for 8 and a bit years and recurrence in lymph glad in my neck and bone mets. Was commenced on Letrozole and IV Zometa. Three years later letrozole is not working anymore and I grew another lump in my neck - aren't I clever! Am now on Chemotherapy -Taxotere x 6 cycles. Hopefully this will put me back into remission. What worries me is once I'm back in remission I won't be screened regularly to check for recurrence - not recommended by NICE and SIGN guidelines, but onc will see me at clinic and will assess me on how I am feeling. If I feel unwell then she will scan me. Every time I've had BC or recurrence I have never felt unwell so that doesn't seem to be anything to go by. Sorry to go on but we're all trying to beat this disease.

I try to keep positive. I normally work full-time and I have 2 beautiful grandsons and I want to see them grow up.

Regards to all of you. Take care. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mary and Loula, thanks for replying. Really great to hear from others of around the same age!! I was beginning to think I was the eldest on the forum. Great to hear of people coming out the other end - just wish next week was over with and I knew all the facts. Will keep you posted. thanks again. xx

loula

Hi scaredycat,

As Mary M says,you'll soon be wondering why you were so scared. I had a WLE and SNB in mid December 2010, fortunately two days after diagnosis,so there wasn't time for me to work myself into a state. As I have a coronary stent fitted, I had to stay in hospital overnight, otherwise it would have been a day job. I don't remember any pain and apart from being a bit tired, was able to carry on with normal life once I was home, including all the usual Christmas preparations and having family to stay. I'm 69, by the way.

So,hope all goes well for you next week and let us know how you get on.

Love Loula

Guest user
Not applicable

hello scaredycat,
hopefully you will soon be notsoscaredycat!
Having what I had in January ...but you've got two years on me ...so You'll be fine, spring chicken.
best wishes

Mary M

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, another golden oldie here. I am 64 and will be going into hospital next Wednesday (25th Arpil) for a WLE and SLN biopsy - and I'm terrified!! Have been looking on this site since diagnosed but didn't realise there was this specific one for the more mature posters - so really glad I have now found it. xx

Foxy

Thanks for that! After having wallowed in self pity yesterday I've just been to pilates and feel much better and more positive. That must have been what I needed - although the wine last night was quite nice.

xxxxx

Lavenderlassie

Hi Foxy,
Well done on the trip to Nepal!

I haven't had this problem exactly but did have DCIS around the original cancer, where the DCIS was not visible on the mammogram.
And I too was glad of a decision to have Mx as a WLE would have had to be repeated to excise the wide area of DCIS.
I asked at annual review when my mammogram was negative, how they could be sure that I didn't have X Ray invisible DCIS on the other side. After a Multi Disciplinary Team meeting, was sent for an MRI which was normal, and I am back to mammography only follow up.
While waiting for results, I checked out the rate of cancer developing in the contralateral/other breast. It happens but not frequently.
So chances are hgh that you will be OK. We just find it hard to go with that when we have already had a not-good result.
House cleaning? Wine and choc and tissues?
If it had been earlier in the day, would have said, clean first, choc and wine after!
keep talking whatever
Lavender

Foxy

Can I join you ladies? I'm feeling a bit fragile at the moment.

I'm 62 and I had an mx in April last year and had a tissue expander put in at the same time. I was told I had DCIS - which didn't turn up on my routine mammo but they did an ultrasound and a biopsy "just to reassure me" because I'd mentioned a hard lump like a grain of rice which seemed to come and go. I had the mx because the DCIS was behind the nipple so that had to go, I've got a family history and anyway when you are a 36AA there isn't much left once they've done a WLE! It turned out to be the best decision because the pathology showed invasive cells and a further area of DCIS on the chest wall where they couldn't get a clean margin, so I then had lymph node sampling, which was clear, and 15 sessions of rads. I can't have the reconstruction finished until next year because of the rad, my surgeon wants to be sure the skin condition is at its best. I sailed through the operations and the rads, no adverse effects other then a little redness, and went on to Letrozole. I even went trekking in Nepal in October and was feeling pretty smug.

Now it all seems to be going downhill. I could cope with joint pains, hot flushes and dizziness but not my hair falling out and my skin itching like mad. My onc says it may or may not be the Letrozole and to stop taking it for a month, if it doesn't get better to go to my GP for blood tests, if it does he'll switch me to Tamoxifen. Then on Monday last I went for my first year mammo. Not worried at all as it was only the "good" side they were going to do, got a letter on Wed calling me for a mammo guided core biopsy on the Friday. Apparently it's microcalcifications and 85% are benign, but hey, I was only supposed to have DCIS last time round. May or may not get the results this Friday as apparently the path lab is backed up. Anyone else had this?

Sorry to go on a bit! I'm veering at the moment between wanting to clean the house from top to bottom in case I have to have another mx, and retiring to bed with chocolate, a bottle of wine and a big box of tissues.

Mezzomamma

Great news, Chris! May you have many more celebrations to come.

Mezzomamma.

Lavenderlassie

Hurray! Chrissy, it is lovely to have good news to celebrate.
Lavender
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi i have not posted on here since nov 2010 enjoyed reading the post congratulations chrissy 16 on having good results its lovely hearing good news.congratulations jaybee 46 on the birth of your grandaughter i am doing well now and post when i have a worry but i still come on the thread to see how everyone is ,and hello and good wishes to all the ladies who post on here.missmessy

chrissy16

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! I had my mammograms just over a week ago (1 year check up) and I had a letter today to say that it was "ALL CLEAR" no cancer detected at all. I am so HAPPY!!!!! Now for a celebration, going out to get that all important bottle of wine.....lots of love chris xxxxxxxxx

Mezzomamma

Ann, I'm so sorry about your recurrence. I had a DCIS a couple of years before the more recent occurence. It's no less a shock, is it?

I've recently read a book called 'The emperor of all maladies' by Dr Siddhartha Mukherjee, which was recommended in a couple of the threads here. It's subtitled 'A biography of cancer'--very well written--and he writes, among other things, about how the understanding of cancer has been developed (and we can all give thanks for the improvements in treatment). I'd really recommend this book for a better understanding of what a complex issue cancer is. Towards the end, he discusses what is currently known about the role of cell DNA in cancers, and how this can contribute to recurrences and mets.

I do hope that your next round of treatment will get the 'embu99erance' once and for all.

Hugs

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks, Mary M. As always, people on here are so supportive and truly understand.

Ann x

ragamuffin

Thanks Cheryl - made me chuckle and I can relate to all of it!

Guest user
Not applicable

Dear Ann 04 - have read your other post about the swollem lymph glands -just wanted to send you a virtual hug....
Mary M.

Guest user
Not applicable

Annie - I SO identify with what you said. I, too, was a perfectly 'healthy' individual (well, except for a thyroid problem) but now, I face the rest of my life under a cloud, as I have just been diagnosed with a recurrence in my axillary nodes and 'suspicious' areas in my bones.

After two years, just when I was moving on, I am now back to thinking about bc all the time. I have always been an optimistic person but it is hard to find a bright side to all this. I know it could be worse, but the fear is that it may well be at some point.

Ann x

Mezzomamma

Ok, here goes! Let me tell you, I've got a real collection of bumps and dents.

If my body was a car, this is the time I would be thinking about trading it in for a newer model. I’ve got bumps and dents and scratches in my finish and my paint job is getting a little dull …
But that’s not the worst of it.

My headlights are out of focus and it’s especially hard to see things up close.

My traction is not as graceful as it once was. I slip and slide and skid and bump into things even in the best of weather.

My whitewalls are stained with varicose veins.

It takes me hours to reach my maximum speed. My fuel rate burns inefficiently.

But here’s the worst of it –
Almost every time I sneeze, cough or sputter, either my radiator leaks or my exhaust backfires!

Cheryl

ragamuffin

Hi Janet
Good to hear from you again and that everything is going well for you. Congratulations on your new grand-daughter - enjoy her lots!

All the best Diana x

PS
Mezzomamma, post the joke we can always do with a laugh. x

Mezzomamma

Thanks for starting the thread, Janet. It's been really helpful, especially in the early stages.

Annie, are you in the mood for a bit of silly humour? If so, I'll post one of those jokes that goes round the internet, but only if you're in the mood.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

HI
I am the lady who started this thread about16 months ago.I do not post very often now but regularly look to see how everyone is doing.I am happy that this thread is still going and that many of you are getting support from it still - I did when I most needed it.I finished my treatment in July and since I am triple Negative I have no further medication.I am quite well and apart from the occasional day of tiredness I am getting on with my life.My daughter has just had a beautiful baby girl (Lily Elizabeth )soI have alot to look forward to.Very best wishes to the Golden Girls and I look forward to reading this thread and sometimes contributing in the future.
Janet

Annie22

Glad I found this thread as some of you might understand and say 'ahhh'. I had mx (end 2009), then more cancer, then chemo, another op, rads (mid 2010/11), herceptin and arimidex now. Then a blood clot from the drugs (in hosp over Christmas). All do-able. Am over that.

THEN I had an eye test last week: Got cataracts and will need an op next year. (Good news though as just read about a new really quick op that is non-invasive, so that'll be good). So, that's do-able too. No problem

But NOW (having gone to GP for lower back pain) I need an op for a prolapse, caused by damage sustained 20 years ago from child number 1. 'It will only get worse if you leave it' said the consultant helpfully.

I am actually falling apart. What happened? In 2009 I was running 3 times a week, healthy, eating well.

I think the menopause had thrown me off the 'normal life' cliff into some horror movie that involves enforced sitting in hospitals having treatments.

Does anyone else feel that it is one thing after another?

Annie

Mezzomamma

I think post menopausal is the main requirement. Being sedate, matronly or any of the more boring versions of mature is not.
There's life in the old girls yet!

Guest user
Not applicable

how old do you have to be to post here?
I cant say I'm mature but I am 65.

Mary M (other Marys are available)