cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More mature post menopausal women

susanmary

Re: More mature post menopausal women

Hi everyone,
Hope you are all okay and have had a good week. Hope I am not repeating myself, but I have had my first taxol and so far the only new s/e is feeling achy. I had a reaction to taxol and so will not be having herceptin on Tuesday, just taxol again to see what happens.
Have any of you seen the film about herceptin? Living Proof. I also have the book about its development, not started it yet.
Its my daughters b-day tomorrow and we are going out to lunch and then watching a girlie DVD.
Jen, hope your first herceptin went okay last week.
Take care
Susan x
Kayteeb53

Thank you Leah
Lola65

Hi Leah,

I have emailed Lizzie Cook to say I am willing to share my experiences. Thanks for the nod about this.
Leah_BCC

Hi everyone

Thought you might be interested in this inquiry into how older people with breast cancer are treated and cared for.

The inquiry is being held by the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Breast Cancer. The aim is to find out where and why there are barriers to patients diagnosed with breast cancer having access to the services, treatments and care likely to benefit them most, regardless of their age.

We at Breast Cancer Care are supporting this work together with two other charities, Breakthrough Breast Cancer and Breast Cancer Campaign.

The APPG is a cross-party group of MPs and peers who highlight breast cancer issues in Parliament. We work closely with the group, and last summer presented our report on older women and breast cancer at one of its meetings

For the upcoming inquiry, the APPG wants to hear from people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer over the age of 65 within the past five years. By sharing your experiences you can help shape the recommendations that will be made to the Government on improving the treatment and care of older people living with breast cancer.

If you would like to share your experiences or those of someone you know, or you want some more information about the inquiry, contact Lizzie Cook at Breakthrough Breast Cancer* on 0207 025 0277 or at lizziec@breakthrough.org.uk

(*Breakthrough Breast Cancer provides secreteriat support for the APPG.)

Lola65

Great to hear this more positive news, Jen, and good luck for next week.
Kayteeb53

Good to hear your positive news Jen
hugs to all

kay x
Lavenderlassie

Ooops! That doesn't make sense! Obviously thinking about the tennis too much!
Hurray instead of Murray and the rest I hope is obvious.
Good to be a Primary (if we have to be something) and thank goodness herceptin came along.
Will be interesting to hear what the radiologists make of comparing your Xrays and your Mum's
Lavender (about to check her spelling)

Lavenderlassie

Jen, That sounds an improvement on what they thought before. Murray for being put back to eing a Primary and Hurray for Herceptin!
Lavender
xx

H144

Jen - at least the news was more positive than negative! Also it's good thay are checking further & comparing with your mother's scans but does sound as though it's not bone mets. Good luck on Thursday.
Hilary x
jenanne

My breast care nurse rang yesterday regarding bone mets: rheumatology & cancer people are still not sure what is in bones, but 1 radiographer is pretty convinced it isn't cancer, 3 others think it may not be!
They now want to compare my mother's x-rays/scans (she has bad arthritis in hips/lower spine) with my scans to investigate the bone thing further.
So they have to go forward on the assumption that I haven't got bone mets, and are treating me as a primary BC patient - I start Tc with Herceptin on Thursday 31st. Jan.
Thankyou all for your kind words!
Kayteeb53

Thinking of you Jen x
H144

Jen - hope the phone call went OK today and there was no worse news- had my fingers crossed for you.
Hilary x
Lola65

You've gotta laugh!!!!! My b****y bowel cancer screening letter arrived this morning!!! As if I didn't have other things to worry about!

Good luck with the phone call today, Jen. xxx
jenanne

Thanks everyone for your support!
Well, tomorrow (Thursday) my oncologist will ring me about whether/not I have bone mets and what this means for future treatment - I expect I will still get Tc (Taxotere/cyclophosphamide) then the Herceptin for a year (due to being Her2+ now). I really hope that onc. doesn't have any worse things to tell me since the recent MRI scan on spine/pelvis for the bone investigation. I, obviously, will be happy to hear any good news re. my bones!
Although d/g with primary & bone mets at the same time, I've only had some trouble with my left hip/femur (so had just 1 rad. for it, and due to some stiffness and aches/pains 1 rad again a year later - to same area + 1 rad to sacrum.
But since breast tumour regrowth this year they questioned the lack of activity/spread which they would've expected with secondaries in bones.
Quite a lot of snowfall here in S.Wales yesterday & today...I think it's finally stopped!
Jen x
Kayteeb53

Oh Jen, you have been through the wars haven't you? You will find support and kindness on this thread as you move forward
Take care and stay warm all
Kay x
H144

Hi everyone
Still feeling OK since FEC3 only problem besides usual sore mouth & feeling a bit nauseous is tingling feet but still on steroids and SEs usually kick in when steroids finish!
Susan - my lump has also reduced a little & I agree it does give you a good psychological boost.
Some good news is that my husband is starting to be mobile again. The week after I was diagnosed at the end of November he had to have surgery to have his foot restructered. He had polio as a child & the foot is on the affected side so is taking a long time to heal. It is still swollen but he has now managed to find an old pair of shoes he can wear and thinks - when the snow goes! - he will be able to drive. He has hated not being able to take me to appointments and that we have to rely on others to take me as I am not allowed to drive his company car while he is off sick & my daughter has to have my car for teaching practice as it's not on a bus route. I think it also upset his male pride that when he has come with me he has been the one in the wheelchair! In 33 years of marriage we have never been together so long in the house! We are still speaking - probably because we spend most of the time in different rooms!
Hope you are all managing to keep warm & dry!
Hilary x
Lola65

Thanks for the welcome ladies, and pleased to meet you all!
As far as HER2+ is concerned, I have been advised the Herceptin is the "wonder drug" and although HER2+ cancer is the most aggressive, the Herceptin does its job brilliantly, so like Susan, I am clinging to this! It's just a shame it doesn't work as well on its own and has to be administered with the chemo.
Sorry you are having such a bad time, Jen, but hopefully the Herceptin will sort you out.
Take care everyone.
susanmary

Thank you for the welcome Lavender and Kay.
Like you Hilary I am having chemo first to shrink my tumour, and so far it is doing so. For me its psychological good to know its working and was probably the main reason I decided to have chemo first.
Like Lola and Jenanne I am also HER2+ and starting taxol nest week the and herceptin and taxol the following week. I was told that although HER2+ BC is more aggresive it responds quicker, so thats what I try to focus on.
Hope you all have a good week, and it stops snowing soon.
Take care ladies
Susan x
jenanne

I am now HER2+ following m/x in November - pathology report on removed breast tissue shows HER2+ cells. The proposed treatment now is 4 Taxotere/cyclophosphamide, then 1 year on Herceptin.
My BC has taken an unexpected path - please look at my profile note for an idea of where i am with this.
I am very concerned now about being HER2+ because, like Lola65, I now have to have more chemotherapy & Herceptin treatment.
poemsgalore

Hi Lola
I too was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal, but there the similarities end. Mine was 3m and out of 3 sentinal nodes removed, one was affected. Cancer is er+ and pr+ but her2- but I do need chemo and radiotherapy. Then I will be put on anastrozole (I think). Very glad you are recovering well from surgery. Good luck with the rest of treatment.
pg xxx
Kayteeb53

Welcome Lola! So sorry you have had to join our little band, but be assured that there is always a willing ear on this page happy to hear from you and to help where we can.
glad your lumpectomy went well, mine was wire guided too. Difficult time now, waiting for results, be keeping my fingers crossed for you.
my BC had not spread onto the lymph nodes but was aggressive so am undergoing chemo (FEC x 6) and my last one will be 6th Feb followed by 3 weeks of radiotherapy and 5 years hormone treatment (oestrogen receptive).
we are all at different stages in the 'journey' and you do find that people pop back to provide support even when they are in the land of NED (no evidence of disease)
feel comfortable to be yourself on here - we all have a rant and maybe a few tears sometimes
kay x
Lola65

Hello ladies!
I am 65 (just!). I was diagnosed in December following a routine 3-yearly mammogram, and was totally stunned. The biopsy showed a grade 3 invasive ductal primary of 10mm. with no obvious signs of vascular invasion, and the ultrasound showed no obvious sign of lymph node abnormalities. I am double hormone negative, but HER2 positive and have been told I will need chemo plus Herceptin, and radiotherapy.
I had my surgery yesterday - wire guided lumpectomy and SNB. My results appointment is 30th January - so an anxious time ahead. I am fine after the op - a bit sore but not much, and no drain to worry about. I know my diagnosis may change for the worse when I get my results - this does seem to happen a lot from what I read on here.
I still can't believe all this, but am trying to be realistic yet positive. My husband is a tower of support - brilliant in fact. Also our daughter, who is married with 2 teenage children. I am lucky they live close by.
I'm pleased to find this group as I was beginning to think I was the only oldie reading this forum! Anyone else with a similar diagnosis?
Lola xxx
Lavenderlassie

Welcome to Hilary and Susan Mary,
I too have had the problem of writing and even thinking I have posted replies-and hey presto -there's nothing!
I had chemo after surgery,the advantage of chemo before is that you can actually see that the chemo is effective which must be helpful .
Kayteeb, you do sound tired, I was very droopy by the end of chemo, and this wweather reminds me of that time, wondering whther or not we would be snowed in etc. I spent half my time falling asleep over DVDs. Just getting out into the garden with Rio will be good for you, you don't have to do marathon walks.
Lavender
xx

Kayteeb53

Hello and welcome Hilary and Susanmary. Really pleased to have you join us.
I have just had 5th FEC. And have found I get more tired and breathless with each one. ONC thinks its the gradual reduction of red blood cells, when you are at your lowest you have the equivalent of four pints less blood circulating. That's why they sometimes give you a blood transfusion as it works quickly.
i also have Filgrastim injections for 10 days as was in hospial following first chemo with low neutrophils and DVTs from my PICC line, also hav to have Tinzaparin injections until May. OH does them for me, bless him.
keep safe and warm all
lavender, I play with the dog in the garden, too breathless for walks!
kay x
H144

Hi
I am also popping over but from the December thread. I'm 56 and also well past the menopause. I was diagnosed on 22 November following a mammogram in October. My last post never appeared so I'm hoping it will this time!
I'm having chemo before surgery. Had my 3rd FEC today - was dreading it & made worse by the snow! I always feel like I want to run away & hide! Now just got to see what SEs happen! Have been quite luckily with SEs for the first 2 - heartburn, tingling & after the 2nd extremely tired but no high temperature, no sickness & mouth not too bad. Can't believe I can keep being this lucky!
My next 3 treatments are FEC-T - & I think it's supposed to worse. The 1st one is 8 Feb & then district nurse should be coming in for 8 days to give the injection to boost white blood cell count - couldn't face doing it myself! Then it's radiotherapy & tamoxifen.
Hope you can all keep warm & just enjoy looking at the snow - it's pretty when you don't have to go out in it!
Hilary x
susanmary

Hello ladies, I am popping over from the pumpkins thread as I am older (57) and well past menopause.
I was diagnosed last October and just finished FEC chemo and due to start taxol and herceptin on 29th Jan
Are any of you having chemo before surgery?
It would be nice to have some company on this journey.
Keep warm.
x
Lavenderlassie

Hi Kayteeb,
That is interesting/good idea of your onc, no one showed me what the rads would have done for me, perhaps just as well as I couldn't have them. I had decided ahead of everything that the surgery did the biggest part and then it was what after treatment one could have to mop up the strays.
How is Rio? Are you still able to get out dog walking? Good for keeping you going or rehab when you feel up to it!
Sending waves of good cheer to everyone on this thread.
Lavender
xx

Kayteeb53

I didn't feel pressured, my ONC showed me a chart which showed the reduction in cancer recurrence afforded by each of the treatments and I just figured I would throw everything at it.
just had 5th chemo, one to go, then onto rads - 15 sessions over 3 weeks. Then hormone drugs and I'm done, I hope.
dreaded the chemotherapy more than the rads
kay x
poemsgalore

mike_jo
I have to admit, I too find the thought of rads pretty scary, but I'm not as brave as you and will probably do it, hoping it won't be as bad as I thought. I have to say that I don't personally feel pressured, as the choice to have chemo was definitely mine, based on advice given by oncologist. But I wonder what she would have said if I had refused.
mike_jo

I'm 62 and have just WLE op with lymph nodes removed and am recovering fairly well apartfrom fluid build up. I went in today to get the pathology report and it sounded to me quite good tumour shrunk to 18mm by taking anastrozole, all tumour removed only 1 out of 10 lymph nodes affected. I was just feeling good when my surgeon started to list treatments: radiation, chemo plus herceptin.. I said I did not want radiation having read all about the side effects plus for me it is an 80 mile round trip away.. she became really unpleasant I thought and made me feel like I was the naughty child in school for even daring to think about refusing anything plus even said I'd be sorry to be sitting there in a years time with the BC back, wishing I'd had the rad. I have also been reading the stories on the Secondaries forum - all seem to begin "I had radiation, chemo, herceptin XX years ago but now my cancer is back" Does anyone one out there feel that they are under pressure to take treatment , I'm feeling really unhappy right now, not to mention dreading having to meet the Breast Care nurse again and ask for more fluid to be withdrawn - will she start to press me to accept treatments? Help. jo
poemsgalore

What would I do without lovely ladies like you to reassure me? Thank you.
Kayteeb53

Hi PG , I have 10 days of cell booster injections after each chemo. The ONC says that keeps me out of hospital (the first chemo saw me in hospital for 5 days)
if need want o say something it's not waffling its sharing!
kay x
Lavenderlassie

Waffling? I see no waffling!
They give the white cell booster injections to a lot more people these days-not everyone but scary people like you and me are dead certs for it!
Love from Lavender
xx

poemsgalore

Thanks Lavender,
Onc is writing to my RA consultant in case she wants to take me off weekly Methotrexate injections while I'm going through chemo, and she made sure I was going to have my lungs checked over before too. Could have gone to hospital clinic, but decided to go to my chest nurse at doctor's surgery (closer to me) she will give me a full spirometry test, peak flow, oxygen levels etc., just like hospital would. Onc is just worried in case my immunity will get too low (already low due to methotrexate) which will mean psudomonas might wake up and begin to play, so she is arranging injections of something to boost immunity (or is that usually what they do?)
Sorry you needed to use your HEAT card when you were doing it. I was told there will be lots of phone numbers to hang onto AND USE if necessary, including one for transport (have I already mentioned that in another post?) Waffling now, so will shut up. Except to say your support has been invaluable and put my mind at rest THANK YOU, THANK YOU.
pg xxx
Lavenderlassie

Thanks, Jo!

Jo_BCC

Hi Lavender lasssie,

Sorry you're having posting problems, I'll make sure it gets reported.

Jo, Facilitator

Lavenderlassie

Hurray that seems to have got through!

Lavenderlassie

This is now my third time of trying to post on this thread today-where are my posts going???
Madjock, hi there, definitely phone the BCNs and ask how they deal with it.
I have still not found a good answer 2 years down the line, so def advise going through the BCN so you can swop. They spent ages trying to help, I just ended up with a prosthesis that was too big for me and bulged out of my bra which is not a good look.
I asked for a stick on one at my 2 year follow up but didn’t get on with it, and have had to go through a complicated swop system, was singing before Christmas "All I want for Christmas is my fake boob back" I have a sort of bean bag one that I got by post from Nicola Jane and it feels fine, just doesn't quite look right, in winter clothes I don't care.
You are doing well otherwise, keep going!
Poemsgalore, I have tried to answer twice as mentioned above, I wanted to give you a response ASAP. I am now copying this in case.
Pleased for you that the oncologist gave you a vote of confidence to start chemo, and seemed to have taken in your problems. I understand that your OH finds it scary, it shows he was listening. The chemo “learning session” is very helpful as are all the members of the chemo nursing team all the way through. Our team had a “Call early, if you are not sure CALL” attitude which helped enormously and some of us helped them make a teaching DVD about what can go wrong and how to prevent it. There is a HEAT card which you should get for presenting at any A&E department which effectively says “See and treat me quickly or else” and it came in really useful for me once.
Bestest to everyone

poemsgalore

Hi Madjock
When I went to breast clinic for results of op and snb, the prosthetics nurse practically jumped on me before I'd seen the doctor. The only thing I can think of is to have a word with your breast nurse and see what she says. She might give you a phone number for the prosthetics nurse so you can ring her and arrange an appointment. You can buy them online, but they're quite expensive and might not be the right kind for you and why should you pay for one when you can get one free!!
Regarding Anastrozole, I never had any menopausal problems when going through it naturally, so I won't be very happy if I get some when I start pills. I still have chemo and rads though so not too worried yet.
All the best.
pg xxx
Madjock

G’day girls
Hope you are all feeling well and the new year has been good to you. I don't know how you ladies cope with your other physical problems on top of the BC, you're all tougher than I am (deliberately didn't say braver).
Have now finished chemo and rads and feeling good. I am now on anastrozole. Don’t have a problem as yet with the pills (only been taking them for a couple of weeks so early days yet).
A qeustion - when would I normally see someone about a more permanent prosthetic or do I have to chase for this myself. My next appointment at the hospital is mid February but that is with the oncologist (well I think it’s with the oncologist as I actually have 3 appointment cards with different names (onc, rads guy and surgeon) for the same time and same date. I do have a softie but that’s really pretty useless and usually ends up round my collar bone so am inclined to wear looser clothing to hide this. I understand why they would leave prosthetic fitting until after rads and am just trying to plan ahead. Any idea if/when I would be likely to have a follow up with surgeon/bcn – last time I saw the registrar was way back in June when dressings were removed. BCN gave me a softie at this appointment and that was the last I had any contact with surgical dept.
Just a thought to make you all jealous – my hot flushes seem to have stopped since chemo – not boasting too much about this as I know the anastrozole might well bring them back but I’m enjoying the cool days. Not saying I don’t get hot with exertion but don’t have to carry a cloth to mop my face when I’m out. Even started wearing a bit of makeup again.
Have a good day ladies and I hope 2013 is kind to you all. Take care
Maggie

poemsgalore

Hi Lavender
Hope things are going well for you. Well, saw the onc yesterday. She really laid it on the line about the problems I could have on chemo. OH isn't very happy, but I said I would give it a try. If it makes me too ill chestwise etc, she will take me off it. So I'm now waiting to hear from the chemo suite staff so I can have my visit. Might chicken out at last minute!! If I go through with it, I shall be on FEC - T.
By the way, I'm wearing my bra with prosthesis in. It feels a little odd, but I've got to get used to it.
Lavenderlassie

Thanks, poemsgalore.
You are obviously doing things well, shrinking your seroma on your own, that's the way forward!
Thinking about you for tomorrow, remember to plan in a treat on the way home if at all possible
Lavender
xx

And an extra wave for Scottish Lassie, not sure where it was that we spoke about this, but it looks as if I am following in your footsteps with neck arthritis pins and needles stuff, thank you again for your encouraging posts
xx

poemsgalore

Thank you Katie and Lavender. I'm so glad to hear your news Lavender. I've had a terrible headache this afternoon - obviously a brain tumour!! It's probably my sinus's in reality. On a lighter note. I've had a bit of a seroma since op. It's not been painful at all, just rather uncomfortable, but its shrinking. It felt a bit like I had a cushion under my arm at first. Now it's all squidgy, like a balloon that is slowly deflating. Be glad when it has gone as I will be able to wear my nice new mastectomy bra and prosthesis.Good luck to you both, might be able to join a chemo page when I get more details tomorrow - gulp!!!
pg xxxx
Lavenderlassie

Well I have something to celebrate today, my bone scan has been reported normal, so aches and pains and pins and needles are from wear and tear old age stuff-truly more mature and post menopausal!
Lavender
xx

Kayteeb53

Good luch Poemsgalore. Hope appt goes well 🙂
LavendeLassie, my goodness both of you really deserved a round of applause having o cope with so many things.
look after yyourselves kay x
Lavenderlassie

Fingers crossed for you for Thursday!

poemsgalore

Well, got a phone call from the oncologist's secretary this morning, asking me to go in for my appointment on Thursday 10th January. So hopefully should know a bit more after that. I suppose it's too much to hope that treatment sees off the psudomonas as well as cancer - no, that would be too easy. Thank you once again Lavender
pg xx
Lavenderlassie

I was given similar dire warnings pre surgery- no recon allowed as too long an anaesthetic, but I was absolutely fine after Mx and axillary clearance. I didn't have radiotherapy as they thought it might make my lung scarring worse, and I am Triple Negative so no Arimidex/other hormone therapy or Herceptin to help, so I was quite keen to have chemo, mad as that sounds.
Pseudomonas colonisation, now that's a problem I don't have, you really do need to get them all talking about you!
The surgery does most of the work, they work out what percentage benefit rads or chemo will give you and then work out what the risks of it are for you. It can be quite a fine balance and they take their time to discuss it at multi disciplinary meetings to get it right for you.
Lavender
xx

poemsgalore

Thanks Lavender. Lots of useful info there I think my rheumatologist is pretty well up on chemo, so would probably be willing to talk to onc. Doctor seems to leave everything to hospital anyway. They only seem to be worried about my lungs. But then most medics seemed to think I wouldn't be able to have mx anyway due to bronchiectasis with psudomonas colonization. Anaesthetists surprised everyone by giving my lungs a bit of a clear out whilst I was under. I hardly coughed for a couple of days, it was great. Almost worth having my other one off just to get the lungs clear - noooooooo, not really. You have certainly put my mind at ease, bless you.
pg xxx
Lavenderlassie

Poemsgalore,
The easy bit is to say Go Cake is a fruit loaf made with so much dried fruit that it helps you to "go" when the drugs make you bunged up.
I take your point re methotrexate and its possible interactions with chemo. I completely understand this as I was on/am still on steroids and hydroxychloroquine for pneumonitis which is possibly autoimmune in origin. The oncologist was initially reluctant to give me chemo as on paper I sounded such a frail old thing and a bad risk for chemo. I persuaded him to discuss it with the respiratory physician who was reviewing me-it took a while, he wasn't keen, kept saying they won't know about chemo. Plus it was difficult for the one specialist to be free to talk to the other at the same time. In the end he was pleasantly surprised with how well informed they were (!) and they came up with a plan together. I needed less of the daily dose of prednisolone throughout chemo as the chemo and doses of dexamethasone every cycle were having enough of an immunosupressant effect. When the chemo was over I went back to the usual dose of steroids with no blip at all. I actually ended up feeling my lungs were a bit better and the lung function tests were a little better for a few months. However the regime I was on and the disease are different from you and yours.
May I suggest that you contact your rheumatology consultant and ask them to be ready to discuss it with your oncologist? And if you are doing it by writing a letter copy it to your GP and the oncologist? Perhaps ask your GP for advice re who to approach? They may be able to see a similar but different compromise that looks after your RA and lets you have the chemo without pushing your white cells down too much, which is usually the biggest worry. I had white cell booster inhjections throughtout chemo, funny reaction to them in first cycle then just boring. Lots of people have them now, they cost a lot but not as much as the cost of a hospital admission if you get an infection.
Wow, just realised it is exactly 2 years today from my last chemo session. I had slept through most of Christmas and almost the biggest worry was would we be snowed/iced in as the weather was so bad. So much time wasted worrying about things that didn't happen! But some time usefully spent looking at things ahead of time and working out what to do to prevent problems.
Hope you have that onc appointment soon and that they work out a good plan for you
Lavender
xx