cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More waiting

49 REPLIES 49
Poppyfields

Re: More waiting

Drain and bandaging removed today at hospital check up. No sign of infection and looking good so far. I'm sleeping well and not much pain now. Got my sports bra on now and much more comfy!! I'm in good spirits actually, I feel I'm being very well looked after and better out than in!!
Xx
SLou296

Good to hear that its all done.  Its bit of a shock when it doesn't go to plan but also good to know that they are doing everything they can to make sure you are ok.

Hope the drain isn't too uncomfortable and that you are managing to sleep ok.

Sarah 

Poppyfields

Thank you Helena,  im getting lots of rest.

Best wishes.

Xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Poppyfields

I have just seen your post.  Glad to learn that you are through the surgery albeit it sounds as if you have been through the mill a bit.

No wonder you are feeling a bit weak and emotional after all of that, but get plenty of rest now and build your strength back up.

Helena xxx

Poppyfields

Hi Sarah, ive posted here as well cos not sure you will see my other one.

Surgery went well on Wed.
Allocated my bed by 08:30 and taken down to radiology for 2 wire localisations done via digital mammogram and the other via ultrasound completed by mid morning with radiologist and then wheeled straight up to operating theatre floor to be prepared for surgery.

Discussions between the radiologist & surgeon prior to going into theatre resulted in the surgeon telling me he had decided to take a larger tissue area than he originally thought and after surgery he told my husband and friend he had to remove even more so i ended up with a quadrantectomy.

Was back on the surgical ward by about 3ish from recovery. Slick processes, excellent organisation, medical staff &porters. (Spanish NHS hospital.)Very impressed.

Im strapped up like a mummy!!! Which is very supportive. i have a drain and have to go to Drs every 2 days and hospital revision on Monday. Before i went into theatre the surgeon said 3-4 weeks for pathology results. Glad its out of the way and can get on with recovery. Wasnt expecting the bandaging or drain but i guess it was a bigger op than originally expected.

Feeling quite weak and was abit emotional this morning. Looking forward to seeing surgeon to see why so much was taken. I understand he decided to take some fibrosis aswell as everything else which had never been talked about.. Im sure during the ultrasound aswell  i heard the radiologist and other doctor present pointing out something they thought was an abscess and they zoomed in to take a photo. I didnt question it as id spent along time clamped in the mammogram more pain from the ultrasound one etc.

Time will tell i guess

Are you ok?

Xx

SLou296

Good luck, I found it was much easier than I anticipated x

Poppyfields

Hi Sarah. Surgery scheduled for next Wednesday morning. Xx
Poppyfields

Flu crisis here means no beds. So am having to be patient.
Xx
Poppyfields

Hi Sarah. Good to hear from you and I'm so pleased about your news, must be a relief. I'm still waiting for the call with my surgery date. Spain went back to work properly only this week because of the King's fiesta on 5th/ Epiphany on 6th. I'm really hoping they call me this week!!!

I managed to put it out of my mind, but now I just want it done. Anyway hopefully soon.
Xx

SLou296

Hope you had a good Christmas and New Year. I had my results letter on Christmas Eve - everything looks good Woman Very Happy best Christmas present Ever !! Glad it all went well, have you got your date yet?

Sarah x

Poppyfields

Hi Sarah, good to hear from you.

Pre op went well yesterday. Straightforward. Still waiting for surgery date but I suspect it will be early Jan. I was told I'll get a week's notice by phone call.

I'm sure you are right, you've had enough treatment this past year for anything to be lurking. So, hopefully you can relax over Xmas and enjoy!

Lets keep in touch !
Merry Christmas to you.
Big hug.
Xx
SLou296

Hi Poppy, Hope yesterday went ok, and that you now have a date for your op.

I may get the results beforehand as it does seem a long time to wait but to be honest I'm not too worried about it - lets face it after having surgery, chemotherapy & radiotherapy in the last 12 months and still having the Herceptin injections until April, I'd have to be damn unlucky for there to be anything sinister lurking.

Sarah x

Poppyfields

Hi Sarah, It doesn't seem like a year does it, it's gone in a flash. I'm glad your treatment has been "ok" and you are getting through it. I'm sure it hasn't been plain sailing.

I've had a call today to say my pre op is Wed 21st Dec, so a bit more progress.

I hope your mammogram is OK and that the right decisions were taken last year. Will you get any results before seeing the surgeon? .... It's a long time to wait.....

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Let me know.
Xx
SLou296

I'm good thanks Poppy.  Treatment, whilst not particularly pleasant, has been ok. I finished Chemo in June and Rads in August I now just have 6 more Herceptin injections to go and should finish in April 2017 and I have plenty of hair for Christmas Woman Happy

Its been a long old journey but the end is in sight now, well I hope so, I ended up being diagnosed with a 1.9mm ILC and a 50mm DCIS.  My consultant said that a mastectomy would be too drastic as the DCIS was low grade and shouldn't cause any problems.  I have my 1st year mammogram tomorrow and then a consultation with the breast surgeon on 13th Jan so hopefully will know then if the decision to just have the WLE was the right one.

It hardly seems like a year has gone by since we were all in 'the waiting room' and its such a shame that you are having to go through it all again, hopefully, this time, it will just be a case of removing the microcalcifications and that will be the end of it - fingers crossed.  The wire localisation is fine - I had it before my WLE.

Keep well and let me know how you get on 

Sarah xx

Poppyfields

Hi Sarah, I wondered if you were still around. How's your treatment been and how are you?

I got my results on 30th Nov. The microcalcifications have multiplied noticeably in their clusters and changed characteristics - Heterogeneous which is what they said last year could happen. Last year I had a vacuum assisted biopsy on the microcalcifications (benign) and core needle on the lump which biopsied as a fibroadenoma.

So, with the changes to the microcalcifications and the area now involved (3cm) they want to remove them all surgically under general anesthetic. They are graded suspicious - moderate to high risk of malignancy. Also apparently I have very dense breasts which means not everything may show on the mammograms. I asked about removing the fibroadenoma aswell at the same time but the breast consultant thought it had been removed last year. After looking at my computer notes properly he agreed it hadn't and has made a note for the surgeon. The radiologist didn't mention the fibroadenoma on this year's report at all which I think a little odd. Maybe it didn't show up? If I remember rightly he said it was very deep, and I've never been able to locate/ feel it. Last year it was 11mm

I'm going to have wire localisation done by the radiologist before surgery so I have started preparing some questions for him.

I was told I'll get a week's notice for the surgery date by telephone, doubtful now before Xmas.

So, back waiting....
Would love to here how you have been.
Best wishes
Poppy
Xx
SLou296

Hi Poppyfields,

I dip in and out occassionally and saw your post, hope everything goes ok for you x  I have my first year checkup on Wednesday - trying not to think to much about it.

Poppyfields

Hi girls, a year on and I'm just touching base. I'm having a year followup on my microcalcifications and fibroadenoma this afternoon to see if there are any changes. I guess just magnified mammogram and ultrasound today and will find out if i need biopsies again or not.

Not sure if any of you are around, if you are hope all is well?

X
Poppyfields

Best wishes Sarah for your treatment. I hope it's not all too awful. Xxx
SLou296

Got the clear margin and clear nodes (great) but also got her2+ (not so great) so chemo, herceptin, rads and tamoxifen to follow.  Once I get a start date there will be no more waiting Woman Happy

Good luck everyone with any results you are awaiting and any treatment you have.

Sarah x

Poppyfields

That's fab news. I'm really pleased for you. Xx
margeb48

I had good news on Thursday - mammograms were fine and ultrasound on lump showed it was a lipoma. Very relieved and pleased that my first experience of a mammogram was fine. All the best to those still awaiting results.
Poppyfields

Jan. Glad that you have clear margins and positive vibes being sent your way for your treatment.

Sarah, you are right about the stats!! I hope you have the news you want next week. Keep us posted.

Also, I'll update this post later in the year with my results from the follow up. Xx
SLou296

Really good news Poppy Smiley Very Happy Those 'recall' statistics must be quite accurate if you remember back to the end of November there were 4 of us going for tests and only 1 has been found positive - that's a positive for any of you ladies out there waiting on results !!

I don't get my post-op results until 15 Jan but I'm keeping everything crossed for good margins and clear nodes. 

Sarah x

Kayak Jan

So pleased for you girls. 😃
I have clear margins so good news too!
But... Some rogue cells in a node coupled with a pulmonary nodule means I need chemo then radiotherapy. I'm actually relieved was dreading more surgery. I know I have a long way to go but so far so good.
Jan x
Poppyfields

Wow! That's fabulous news! I'm so pleased for you!! Let's hope we have set a trend for everyone else this week. Also that others reading this thread maybe in the future take some positive vibes whilst they are in the waiting room too!!!! Best wishes to all. Xx
Milly

That's great to hear Poppy, good news for me also! Second biopsy has come back benign as well, they have just said to return to my gp if I have any more worries..they had apparently left me a message cancelling my appointment in view of the results so I only got the chance to chat to a nurse briefly. I'm still unsure at what is causing the dimple, perhaps it is just cellulite like I originally thought!
margeb48

That's really good news - sending positive thoughts for us with appointments to come this week.
Kayak Jan

Great news Poppy!
Jan x
Poppyfields

Well, all good my end! On reflection information was kept to a minimum. I was basically told that the biopsy results were good but the clusters of micro calcifications particularly need further monitoring before returning to the screening program. So I will be called back later this year to repeat all the tests. She didn't want to give me a copy of the results but said my GP has access to the information. So I may ask for a print out of it when I next go to the GP. She's not considering removing the fibroadenoma at this stage. I will stick around to see how the rest of you get on this week. I really hope you get good news. Xx
Kayak Jan

Milly
Sending good vibes your way for your appointment. I hope you get some answers.
Love to all taking the next steps through this challenge this week. 😃
Jan
Poppyfields

Thank you so much..... And everyone else, best wishes for appointments and results this week. I will post as soon as I can with an update. X
Kayak Jan

Hi Poppy
Got my fingers crossed for good news for you tomorrow.
Let us know how you go when you can.
Jan x
margeb48

Thanks poppyfields. Trying to stay positive for everyone.
Poppyfields

Hi there. The waiting really is very stressful. But we must remember that the likelihood of having bad news is minimal. I hope your appointment goes OK and that all of us on this thread have good news next week. X
margeb48

Hi - I'm waiting for a breast clinic appointment on 7 January. Was referred by gp on 11 Dec after I found a lump on right side of right boob, which I first noticed about a month before. Alternating between being convinced it will be nothing and feeling terrified. Had thought my boobs had felt lumpish earlier this year but put it down to anxiety issues I was having at the time. Frustrated that my body already knows if I have cancer or not but I have to wait until 7 Jan at the earliest to find out. 😔
Poppyfields

Your story starts the same as mine. I was also recalled after a routine mammogram and went for the diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on 16th Nov. I had no outward symptoms. They wanted to do the biopsy a couple of days later but I had to travel to UK and so had to wait 2 weeks to have it done. And now ofcourse I'm waiting again... It really sounds like you've been through it so far and I really hope you get better news on 5th. It must be alot to cope with over Xmas. Stay in touch. X
Kayak Jan

Hi Poppy
Thanks for replying.
Originally I had no symptoms my BC was picked up on a routine mammogram. I went for a follow up appointment where I had an ultra sound and a biopsy on the suspect area. I had not felt or noticed anything. I then had to wait 4 weeks for biopsy results. They confirmed grade 3 lobular cancer. There was some discrepancy about the size, US showed 16mm but mammogram showed 27mm. I was then sent for a MRI scan which showed 37mm and a further suspect area. Up until this point a lumpectomy seemed to be the way forward. The increased size and added area changed things, suddenly the doctor was talking mastectomy. All a great shock. I was far from happy with that decision. There had been some issues around my appointment and the doctor thought I had already been given the biopsy results and had discussed treatment, where in reality I knew nothing. The final outcome was that I met with the lead consultant and he discussed options. Eventually, after being at the hospital for over 5hrs, I decided mammoplasty was best for me. Basically breast reduction removing the lump and the suspect area , then reshaping what was left. I can honestly say I am quite happy with the results so far. I am now waiting for the results to see if the margins are clear and the biopsy on my sentinel node. Then next steps. I know I need radiation therapy at least. So fingers crossed. Waiting really is the pits but hopefully Poppy good news for all of us.
Let me know how you get on.
Jan
Poppyfields

Hi Jan. Yes, I've had enough of waiting around too. I was very disappointed not to get my results before Xmas. I had my biopsies on 3rd Dec. If you don't mind me asking what were your symptoms and diagnosis? I've been told I've got 3 clusters of suspicious microcalcifications and also a small lump thought to be a fibroadenoma (and not a problem) in the same boob, 3 samples taken from the lump and 10 from the microcalcifications. Ofcourse they may not be anything at all but a month of not knowing is horrendous (as you know.) I hope you get good results on 5th. It's a big week for all of us next week. Stay in touch. Xx
Poppyfields

Hi Sarah, good to hear from you! The waiting is tough isn't it. I really hope you get good news, do you know when the results will be? I've now got pain in my armpit and I'm wondering if this is fallout from the core needle biopsy a little over 3 weeks ago. Any ideas? When I go to the hospital on 4th Jan it will have been a calendar month since the biopsy!! I'm in Spain and the process is different to the one stop shop clinics in uk. And I'm learning as I go along! I've got a feeling that on 4th they are going to do a small procedure or something but I'm really not sure.... I hope you are recovering from your surgery well. Take care. X
SLou296

Hi Poppyfields,  sorry you are still waiting, I really feel for you, th waiting is such an anxious time.  Since we last spoke I've had my surgery and I'm now waiting for results on margins and lymph nodes. Not sure which hospital you are at but I had my appointment for results at 9.20am on that day 7 ladies went in and 5 got good news - keeping everything crossed for you.

Sarah x 

Kayak Jan

Hi Poppy and Milly
I am also waiting for results. I feel like I have spent the last couple of months waiting. I waited weeks for an appointment after my original mammogram. That was followed by a 4 week wait for biopsy results. I had surgery 3weeks ago and am now waiting until 5th January for path results, to find out if the cancer is anywhere else, will I need chemo, what my treatment plan will be. I could have had results on 29th December but because of Christmas my team wouldn't have met to discuss my treatment plan so I would need to return following week anyway. I decided, especially as I travel 60miles round trip, that as we have family visiting I would wait to get results and plan in one visit. There are times when I really wonder if I made the right choice delaying a week, then I think I really want time to deal with the outcome personally without my kids going with me to the hospital.
So the wait continues. Fingers crossed for good news for us in January.
Jan
Milly

Oh dear, not nice to have hanging over our heads all Christmas is it? Here's hoping we both get good news on the 4th and don't have to put up with anymore waiting! Hope you have a great Christmas x
Poppyfields

Hi. I spoke to a nurse at the breast unit in the hospital who said I've been scheduled an appointment on 4th Jan at 09:15 (can you believe it, same as you!!..) but when she looked at the time she said that they didn't give results early that morning that they do other stuff so she thought it was a mistake, she went away to sort it out but eventually came back and said that it was actually correct and to attend at 09:15 on 4th. So I'm actually now thinking (but obviously I don't know) that like you I may need further tests. I also have family history... my mum had breast cancer when she was around 45 years old. So we are both playing this waiting game!! I'm not happy about it but there's nothing I can do. She said they don't give results over the phone.

Enjoy your Christmas and we'll touch base again I guess in the new year! Best wishes. Xx
Poppyfields

Hi. I was thinking about you this evening! I hope your biopsy results are abit more conclusive in Jan. It's the not knowing that I find difficult! I still haven't heard anything today so I'm planning on going to the hospital tomorrow morning and see what I can find out. I'll let you know. Hopefully it will all be OK. X
Milly

Yes I would definitely contact them to find out when they are planning on giving you a results appointment, I wouldn't know how it all works in Spain but three weeks seems a long enough wait to me! Well today they took another biopsy as he said they found an area of distortion on the scan that was in a different place to the previous biopsy. He did pick this up on the US today so I feel more confident they have got a sample of the right place this time! He told me he isn't overly worried and that if this is also benign they may just leave it..but that this is not what has caused my 'dimple' and he doesn't know what is, this didn't seem to bother him but it does me as its quite obvious and wasn't there before, I'd feel better if they could find a reason for it! Do let me know how you get on and fingers crossed you get good news before Christmas, I have to wait until 4th Jan now but I'm going to keep calm and enjoy 🙂
Poppyfields

Hi. I'm glad it's a cyst and I hope that nothing else is found at your next tests... It's the waiting isn't it that's so difficult? I still haven't heard anything. The radiologist said 2 to 3 weeks and it would be the same wait for good or bad news. It will be 3 weeks on Thursday and I think if I haven't heard anything by Tuesday I will go to the hospital to ask. I really don't want it to go on until after Xmas. I'm in spain and I don't really know what the process is here. I've been very bruised too although it's pretty much gone now. I had 13 core biopsies taken in 2 different places but in the same boob. Best of luck tmw. Do you know exactly what they are going to do? X
Milly

Hi Poppy, well I think it's all good news so far! The nurse called on Weds to say the biopsy results show a benign cyst and so instead of going Friday they want me in on Monday for more scans. She said something about a 'wide area' and my family history so they want to look with a more modern machine..I was on my mobile with a v bad connection so I didn't catch it all. I don't understand what she meant about a wide area, perhaps they have seen something on the scan when they looked again? I do feel a lot more relaxed now though and am glad they seem to be doing all they can to make sure, especially as I'd been worried they could have biopsied the completely wrong area with nothing to guide them on the scan, they only took 3 samples and I do have rather large boobs lol and I am bruised everywhere other than all around where the problem is! Do you know when you will be getting your results? Fingers crossed for good news for you x
Poppyfields

I'm waiting for results too. Just wondering how you are doing having just read your post.
Lizzy_BCC

Hi Milly, 

I am sorry to hear you are going through this anxious time, I am sure our users will be along soon to offer their support and advice. 

In the meantime do give our support line a call at 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about you biopsy, offer you a friendly ear and provide you with some information.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Milly

More waiting

Had my BC appt today, on examination the surgeon could clearly see my indent and said there was a mass or thickening nearby and also thickening in the other breast but that he felt it was nothing he could say was malignant. Then had mammogram and ultrasound, both all clear but the surgeon seemed to gatecrash the ultrasound (is this normal?!) and pointed out my indent to make him keep looking, he then said 'I'm worried it could be lobular, if you're not going to biopsy then I will' so they then did a core biopsy of the indented breast. They have made an appt for results on 18 Dec but told me if they're not back then it will be after Christmas! Not really sure how to feel now, he explained that lobular can be hard to detect and often won't show up on the scans and that with my family history he wants to be sure but kept changing his attitude from being reassuring to saying he was worried all throughout our chat afterwards. Has anyone had this where all looks fine but the biopsy says different? I suppose all I can do is wait and see but surely there must be something thats causing this indent/pucker?