Moving Forward course

Hello

I have just received a letter from my BC nurse on behalf of Breast Cancer Care inviting me to attend a “Life after Breast Cancer Course”.  I just wondered if anybody out there had attended one of these courses.  I (eventually - after 2 WLEs) had a mastectomy and immediate diep reconstruction in January and have not needed any radiotherapy or chemotherapy- so I feel very lucky.  I’m going back to work next week (light duties!) as I feel I am able to work. 

If anybody has attended any of these courses, I’d be interested to hear how you got on, as I don’t really know what to expect.  I’m not very good at opening up and talking about my feelings, and think I would feel guilty about taking a place on the course if somebody else would benefit.   Thanks in advance.

I haven’t heard of these course but like you I had same op and no rads or chemo. I went back to work after four weeks and it was very hard going. Still very tired so take care. Bev

I went on one of these about a year post chemo. I wouldn’t worry about not wanting to talk, you can always sit and listen. There are always one or two people who take things over a bit which is one of the down sides. There is some useful information. I had done a lot of reading already but it was useful to have a chance to talk to a BC nurse. Overall, I think it is worth going along; you are not committing yourself to anything- you could even leave straight away if you wanted.

Hi I too have been invited to one of these courses its in july i have to go every friday afternoon for 3 weeks.Week 1 The management of breast cancer/ signs and symptoms of possible recurrence -Cancer treatment and fatigue. Week 2 Lympohedema and exercise - Managing menopausal symtoms.Week 3 Adjusting and adapting after a cancer diagnosis - Relaxation/complementry therapies. Only places for 16 people even though i got a moving forward pack im looking forward to going to this i no i will benefit. Hope this helps.Yvonne

I did this just after a year from diagnosis. I found it very helpful,
We where a good group and it was good to actually spend time with other’s who really understand what it is like. I didn’t talk too much but still feel I gained form the experience.