Moving Forward

Hi

I had a Mastectomy with immediate LD reconstruction. My question is when should i be moving forward away from breast cancer. I have a family member i.e. my sister telling me that I should be moving forward now from my breast cancer. I had the operation and reconstruction in July 2014 and am on Arimidex for 5 years. 

Dear 2ss

Moving forward is a very personal thing.  Only somebody who hasn’t had Breast Cancer would think you can put a time on it.  Are you doing something that she thinks you shouldn’t be ??

I was diagnosed is October 2012, have had surgery x 5  FecT100 x 6 and 15 rads.  Just had 2 years Mammogram and appears NED.  Will change to Letrazole in July this year after 2 years on Tamoxifen.

On the outside everything looks just fine, hair grown back prosthesis in place (even purchased a new swimming one this week as i swim 3/4 times per week) but inside i will never be the same person again  ‘moving forward’ is slow and some days are still pretty tough.

I have had every alternative therapy known to man, Counselling, Residentials at Penny Brohn Cancer Support Centre and continue to practice Mindfulness Meditation and Mindfulness Colouring. 

I have a very pragmatic Husband, lovely Son and Daughter In Law, very supportive Sister and a lovely group of friends.  In all of those people there are two.  My Husband and One friend who is a work colleague and twenty years younger than me, very straight and whose life hasn’t been easy, that i have been able to tell just how bad i felt on some days and still sometimes do.

It is sometimes difficult to find appropriate support and often people want us to be ok and ‘recovered’.   Can you find a support group, Breast Cancer Care Moving Forward Group or Cancer Support services in your area and move forward at a pace that is right for you. Breast Cancer is a huge intrusion into our lives and takes some getting over.

Look after youself.  Gilly x      

Hi 2ss

As Gilly has mentioned below BCC run moving forward programmes and here’s the link to more information about this:

breastcancercare.org.uk/moving-forward

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank you both. feeling emotionally sore at the moment.