Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Forward

5 REPLIES 5
Seashell60

Re: Moving Forward

Hi Gilly, 

While I was reading your post I had to scroll back up to the top after to double check that I hadn't written it and forgotten that I did!

Almost word for word it describes my experience with breast cancer.I also was diagnosed Oct 2012, I had two surgeries, six Fec-T checks, 15 Rads, but I have been given Anastrozole for 5 years, i have 3 and 1/2 to go. And my 2 year mammogram showed NED also.

I have said that I am not the same person I was two and a half years ago, and right now I don't know if I ever will be. My husband, two teen boys, sister, parents,few close friends have been with me all the way. And like yourself, I have only ever really been able to say all that I want to say to my husband and one close friend. I recently went to my first ever visit to a Counsellor, I never realised I could book one with my doctor's surgery. I will go again.

I have lived a very independent life, never asking for help before having cancer and it's still hard for me to accept what's happened over the past 2 1/2 years, but I hope to work it out soon. Take care, Michele x

2ss

Thank you both. feeling emotionally sore at the moment.

Butterfly318

Thanks for putting the link on Lucy - The Moving Forward course was really helpful.

Gilly x

Lucy_BCC

Hi 2ss

As Gilly has mentioned below BCC run moving forward programmes and here's the link to more information about this:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/moving-forward

Take care
Lucy BCC

Butterfly318

Dear 2ss

Moving forward is a very personal thing.  Only somebody who hasn't had Breast Cancer would think you can put a time on it.  Are you doing something that she thinks you shouldn't be ??

I was diagnosed is October 2012, have had surgery x 5  FecT100 x 6 and 15 rads.  Just had 2 years Mammogram and appears NED.  Will change to Letrazole in July this year after 2 years on Tamoxifen.

On the outside everything looks just fine, hair grown back prosthesis in place (even purchased a new swimming one this week as i swim 3/4 times per week) but inside i will never be the same person again  'moving forward' is slow and some days are still pretty tough.

I have had every alternative therapy known to man, Counselling, Residentials at Penny Brohn Cancer Support Centre and continue to practice Mindfulness Meditation and Mindfulness Colouring. 

I have a very pragmatic Husband, lovely Son and Daughter In Law, very supportive Sister and a lovely group of friends.  In all of those people there are two.  My Husband and One friend who is a work colleague and twenty years younger than me, very straight and whose life hasn't been easy, that i have been able to tell just how bad i felt on some days and still sometimes do.

It is sometimes difficult to find appropriate support and often people want us to be ok and 'recovered'.   Can you find a support group, Breast Cancer Care Moving Forward Group or Cancer Support services in your area and move forward at a pace that is right for you. Breast Cancer is a huge intrusion into our lives and takes some getting over.

Look after youself.  Gilly x      

2ss

Moving Forward

Hi

I had a Mastectomy with immediate LD reconstruction. My question is when should i be moving forward away from breast cancer. I have a family member i.e. my sister telling me that I should be moving forward now from my breast cancer. I had the operation and reconstruction in July 2014 and am on Arimidex for 5 years.