Multiple fibroadenomas & MRIs

Hello all,
I’m new to this site, not even sure if it’s cancer yet, but I’m awaiting to hear results from my MRI 8 days ago & driving myself insane worrying. I’ve had 5 lumpectomies back in 2007-2008, all benign fibroadenomas. (I’m 29 w/ a family history of dense breast tissue, but no history of breast cancer, only colon and throat). I mentioned one BB sized lump to my OBGYN & she said she feels it’s nothing, but would put in a referral for an U/S to make me feel better. During the ultrasound, they found 8-10 fibroadenomas on the right side, so they immediately sent me to get a Mammogram, was jumped in front of 5 people to get the girls squished, and then sent back over to U/S, where they then were checking the left side (w/ a sense of urgency & seemed worried/nervous)…then said due to the amount that they found, along with 2 larger (approx 2-2.5 cm) on the left side that the radiologist couldn’t find on the U/S after the mammogram, they scheduled me to get an MRI. My MRI was on 23 May, (I’m active duty Air Force, stationed at a Joint Army/Air Force base, so I’m not sure if they were off for a 4 day weekend for Memorial day & we have approx 40,000 soldiers & airmen, so there’s no telling how many MRIs they do per day/read per day, etc. I called my OBGYN, who said they hadn’t read anything as of yesterday (30th) I guess my questions for anyone, that’s willing to answer after reading my 400 page summary :wink: is…

1. If you haven’t gotten called yet, does that mean it’s probably not bad? Do the MRI technicians doing the MRI see what’s being imaged & alert the doctors if they think it’s bad? Or do they just stick them all in a pile & when they’re read, they’re read. I know they’re probably very busy, I just wasn’t sure how long it takes, if the results are abnormal do you get called sooner, etc.
  2. Has anyone else had multiple fibroadenomas? Do they ever decrease in getting them? Is there a chance they can turn cancerous? Would you have them all remvoed? My lady lumps are not very big, and if they cut all of them out, I don’t think it’s have anything left!! =)
    I appreciate your thoughts & answers, and applaud all of you on this extremely rough journey. Sorry, just scared and nervous and hate not knowing what’s going on and why they haven’t called! Ok, I’m now rambling & crying, geez what is wrong with me lol.

Hi Jess Ski

From reading your post I am wondering whether you are in the UK or not? If you are in the UK I would suggest you give our helpline team here a call, 0808 800 6000 the staff have a wealth of knowledge and experience and will be only too happy to talk to you. I have also put for you below the link to BCC’s publication for fibroadenoma which I hope you find helpful to read.

I am sure once your fellow forum users have seen your post you will get some much needed online support.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/benign-breast-conditions/fibroadenoma-bcc72

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Jess

I had two fibroadenomas, my OC said they form with your breast as a teenager, they are nothing to worry about and do not become cancerous. They biopsies they to be sure before they diogonosed.
Hopefully yours will be fine.
It is an emotional journey, I have results tomorrow and discovered a potion called rescue remedy (Boots sell it is your in this country), it really calms !!
In your line of work your tough but this is a whole new fear, i really understand. The ladies on here are great and fill you with hope.
Let us know how your going.
Hugs xx

Hi Jess
Any results yet? I have a friend who has had endless lumps over the years she’s now 48 and has just been through all of the tests again last month after finding a large lump (mammogram,ultrasound) they found loads but all turned out to be harmless so I’m sure you will be fine.
Dont forget to let us know, we like god news on here and it will help lots of others visiting the site & going through the same.
Steph xx

Hi again, I apologize for taking so long to reply ? i have been bogged down with TDYs & prepping for hubby to deploy in a few weeks. After writing my original post, I got tired of waiting & I finally went and got a copy of the results myself then called the nurse to get the explanation of the report. There is a lesion on the left breast that they want to continue to monitor every 6 months to ensure stays stable. I’m not sure what a lesion is, is it the same thing as a fibroadenoma? And what exactly does stable mean? I’m guessing that everything is fine since they didn’t want to biopsy and are probably monitoring to be on the safe side. I go back for ultrasound the 31 October & MRI 4 Nov. I’ve been worried bc I’ve found more lumps on my right side, but I can’t tell if it’s just all those fibroadenomas possibly getting larger. I know it prob wouldn’t help to get them all cut out, and eventually they should go away, but I’m scaring myself (stupid I know) thinking they’re going to turn cancerous. I really appreciate all of you responding & trying to help with calming my fears. This is an amazing page & all of you are truly inspiring!