Mum has been diagnosed with secondary

On Wednesday, my mum who is 57 was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer (her primary diagnosis was in 2007) in the breast, lung and bone. We’re waiting for a referral to the oncologist to discuss treatments.

I suppose what I need is a bit of hope. Currently she is eating well, hasn’t lost weight and isn’t in any pain – well anymore than usual since she has arthritis and sciatica. She even went out to Kensington Palace today and walked for miles. It’s like her breast cancer nurse said, you wouldn’t look at her and think we were at the end. Is there anything we can do now that will stand her in good stead for what lies ahead? Is there anything I can do, beyond trying to keep her mind off of it?

I don’t know if this helps but her BC was hormone based, she took tamoxifen for 5 years after her initial chemo treatment and she is hep negative. I also ask that you don’t give time frames to expect (i.e. six months, one year). It would be too upsetting.

Thank you all and I hope you are well.

Hi glassofroses

Wlcome to the BCC Forum where I’m sure you will find lots of support from fellow members.  We have a section on the forum specifically for family and friends which you may find helpful.  I’ve attached the link for you:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Family-partners-and-friends/bd-p/4451

You might also find it helpful to give our Helpline a call for information and support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The numbe ris 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi glass, do visit the secondaries forum. I have been living with my secondaries, first bone now elsewhere since 2003. I have never asked for a time frame, most of us don’t. The fact your mum is er+ and her2 neg means there should be many options still open to her. Many friends with various secondaries are still working, managing well five, seven years, longer after diagnosis. I take, need no pain killers at the moment. Take care. X