1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mum having Mastectomy on the 17 December

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Mum having Mastectomy on the 17 December

hope your mums opp went well and shes doin good just be yourself im sure shes happy to get home i had mx in sept

Hi fletch37

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, I hope you will find them to be a great source of support and information. I am sorry to read of your Mums recent diagnosis. You may find it useful to read the BCC booklet 'your operation and recovery'. The booklet provides information for anyone going into hospital for breast cancer surgery, if you would like to order a copy or read it on line just follow this link:-
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/your_op_and_recovery_07_web_0.pdf

BCC also have a helpline where you can talk to a trained member of staff, sharing your concerns and asking any questions you may have about your Mum's diagnosis. The number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 9 to 2pm

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

My Mum just found out two days ago that she has breat cancer and she has opted for the mastectomy. She goes in next Wednesday as they have a slot free in surgery. I was there when they told her and broke the news to my Dad (who found out in August he has prostate cancer with secondary bone cancer) and my older brother. I am 32 but quite a young one really as I have no boyfriend or family. I am so close to my family that I just want to be there for all of them and make sure that my Mum is well looked after. I take after her for regretting not going into nursing...so things don't faze me in terms of helping people with the toilet, bathing wounds etc.

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice about the kind of things that I might need to help her with after the op...stuff that you don't usually get told in the hospital, like about body washing or peppermint tea for tummy upsets. How long does it take to start healing? Do you get shown images to prepare yourselves for having the breast removed? I don't want to sound weird, but I have googled images of post-op scars etc so that I am prepared for what I will see so I don't look shocked or upset for her. Just wondering if I should advise the same to my Mum, or do you think that will upset her more?

She hopefully will get out on Xmas eve night. Do you think she will have much of an appetite over Xmas...or can you suggest what to feed her? Sorry for the ramble...I am a practical person and as long as I have things organised I can then concentrate on supporting her emotionally...and my Dad!

Any suggestions of what to do/ what not to do would be very much appreciated!

XXX

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello,

Mum had appointment with Pre-Operative department at RUH today. They have said that Mum will be in for at least 4/5 days, that is a little different to the 24/48hrs we were originally told in the Breast Clinic.
Mum does have to have a node biopsy during surgery, we knew that, but Mum has been quite anxious and worried today. I have tried comfort her, but this can be very difficult as she is very worried, I have told her to speak to the Breast Cancer Nurse if she is worried about anything. She is quite reluctant to speak to anyone about this at the moment, including her friends and she only seems to be able to speak to me, but sometimes even that is hard. I am sure that hopefully once the op is over, she may start to feel a little more brighter about it. It is hard, but I am trying to support her as best I can. Thank you for your support. Michele x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Michele,I am 44 and had my mastectomy 15th Nov. I went into City hospital (Bham) at 12 noon, had my op and my husband picked me up at 7.30 the same night with a drainage tube. I was a bit groggy with the anaesthetic and Hubby had to follow me up and down stairs for the loo.I have no pain whatsoever and no need for pain killers. I have ceroma which is a bit of fluid build up which feels strange but again no pain whatsoever. the best part of it all is that I went to see my surgeon on 26th Nov who told me he had removed 20 lymph nodes they were all 100% clear I do not need to hv radiotheraphy and he has given me the all clear. I go back the end of feb to discuss reconstruction but the jury is out at the mo on ths subject. Tell yr mom to be positive - Im living proof that she can come out the other end 100% healthy.

Guest user
Not applicable

hi just wondered how old you are - I do worry about how my children both teens are coping! They have enough to deal with without this horror story..

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi, Thank you all so very much for replying, this has made me feel alot better. I have just spoken to Mum and her appointment letter for her surgery has just arrived, she is abit upset but I have spoken to her and she seems a little happier, mum also has to go in for pre-assessment next wednesday, so she has had enough of hospitals already, bless her. I am so grateful to this site as everyone has been so supportive thank you so much.

Thanks for everything. Bless you.x x

Michele

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - your mum will be fine, don't worry. I was in for an overnight stay after my mastectomy - I'd double check on the idea of it being day surgery - it's not so much the op, but the anaesthetic leaves you pretty groggy for a while, and your mum will have to get used to coping with the drain.

Having said that - the drain is not a big deal, honestly - the bcn will show your mum what it looks like/does and how to use it, and it really is straightforward, just a bit of a pain.

And talking pain - remarkably little. I had a mastectomy and axillary node clearance on my left - and I can honestly say I have had minimal pain on my chest - and it's only in the last few days that my arm has been at all painful - and even that is maybe only a 3 on a 1-10 scale, not even worth pain killers.

You are absolutely right that no one knows how they will react to something until it happens, it sounds to me like you are doing so well supporting your mum - and the more you understand about what will happen, the easier you will find it to be calm and positive - it's fear of the unknown that is the big worry.

Ask away xxxx

Sophie

Hi michelle im sure your mum will be ok i came out 24hrs after mx had more problems with my arm due to nodes removed i had no problems with my bust i felt fine

Hi!

I'm 26 and had a double mastectomy about eleven weeks ago-although I've lost count now!! It was really much much easier than I could have imagined! The only thing I had pain with was where they took nodes put of my arm and I had very restricted movement up until week 6 post-op where it magically loosened up! Make sure your mum does her exercises post-surgery!! U did suffer a bit with my tummy too due to all the drugs but loads of peppermint tea and sympathy (including company in the loo to hold my drain bags) made me feel better! I'm sure she will be surprised at how she feels and all my friends said they were amazed I looked so well and I'm certain your mum will be ok too-and, for whatever reason if she does have pain, just get mire drugs-I can't advocate them more haha!!!

Big hugs

Em x

Guest user
Not applicable

Mum having Mastectomy on the 17 December

Hi all,

I have posted on the friends and family forum when I first joined the site. Mum had her results from a second core biopsy on Tuesday 23rd November. She has calcification around the tumour and this has comeback as a postive result, which means the lumpectomy that had been originally discussed is no longer an option, she will have to have a Mastectomy.

Mum is being very brave, but I know she is very scared and worried about it, she has decided not to have reconstruction at the same time or after, which was her decision. I am finding it very difficult not to burst into tears whenever I talk to her, but I just can't and seem to be coping alot better than I thought I would, I suppose you never know how you will be really until something like this happens. I am very concerned about the operation, as I don't want mum to be in pain. Any advise from anyone who is going through this or been through this? I am a little concerned that the Breast Cancer Nurse told us that Mum may be able to come home on the same day, does this sound right, as I would have thought that she would have been in hospital for at least 24/48hours?

I hope this is in the right place, didn't know whether to post this here of friends and family??.

Many thanks

Michele x x