cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mum in hospital

19 REPLIES 19
Daisy1975

Re: Mum in hospital

Thanks Debs. I think my mum is scared of that because she has underlying chest problems (COPD). Hoping they manage to prevent it next time (Tuesday should be next chemo although she atill has productive chest today). Did they tweak anything for you or give you injections/antibiotics prior to cycle? Do you have underlying chest problems?

Daisy
Debs-

Hey Daisy,sorry to hear about your Mum.Although its very scary for you, to the hospital its a very common  problem with chemo. I fell ill and ended up in hospital every cycle. One time i was in with pneumonia and flu at the same time as being neutopenic!  Its not pleasant  at all . I hope your Mum does not get unwell every cycle but my family was scared for me the first couple of times and then we just expected it and it just  became the norm untill chemo finished.. Lovely that your there for your Mum, knowing that my  family and close friends cared got me through it all . All the best hun .

Daisy1975

My mum seemed to develop vein issues when in hospital, mainly due to how some of the doctors were taking the bloods and they had to keep moving her cannula. She was all battered and bruised on her arms.
She is improving daily and although not 100%, she is getting about and going places now so improving much. Ger second chemo session is booked in for 30 Dec, all being well with the consultant and my mums bloods/chest, although her bloods were fine when she left hospital. Only issue is that they grew a fungus from her sputum. The microbiology consultants an her consultant agree it's probably colonisation ( living harmlessly) and not true infection ( invading lungs) but are doing a further test to confirm this. I work in this area, so I understand and am not stressing too much.
Unsure if they are tweaking her dose or giving her the neutrophil boosting infections next session.
Fingers crossed for the smooth drain removal.

Daisy
Xx
maggie59

Hi Daisy

Rattling with the 24 antibiotic tablets I take each day! IV is much easier though having said that it has really wrecked my vein where the drugs they gave leaked from the cannula!

See the surgeon today about getting the drain removed and due to start chemo 8th Jan.

How is your mum now?

Maggie x
Daisy1975

Thanks Maggie

How is your infection? Have they set a chemo date yet?

Daisy
Xx
maggie59

Hi Daisy
Glad your mum is home. Nine nights in hospital is a long time.
Please pass on our best to her. She is so lucky to have you.
Maggie x
Daisy1975

My mum is out of hospital now. Came out on Friday after 9 nights in there. She is still
Breathless as it seems now the neutrophils are back, they are responding to the infection she had and causing congestion. She is improving though and consultant appt is 1 week later than planned, so hoping same for the chemo. Her had had begun coming out so I cut and shaved it for her whilst we had a glass of prosecco to celebrate her being out of hospital.
Hope all going smoothly for the rest of you.

Xx
riversidedawn

Hi Daisy, I hope your mum is back on track very soon. Lots of us have had chemo delayed for various reasons, the oncologists seem to adjust the drugs to make up for it, mind said he may add in an extra FEC to make sure. Most important thing is to get back up to strength so her body can handle it. X
Daisy1975

Thank you all - I know it's not nice but there is some reassurance in how this is not a rare effect on my mum. She is still in hospital 7 days later. Her neutrophils continued declining until today (0.2 yesterday). They are now 2.0 I think but as she spiked a temp of 37.7 she is still in for the night. Still has chest infection so they suspect thats the cause.
She was told her chemo may be delayed a week but this was before neutrophils rose so I guess it's now dependant on her chest infection clearing.
Daisy

Hi daisy I was taken to hospital last sun pm my count was 00.6 had terrible upper respiratory inf I was very lethargic and uninterested about things I had iv ax for 48hrs came home to rest in bed tues still a n oral ax and inhaler week later cough still productive though feeling better in myself con told me hopefully no delay next chemo due 23rd I will see him 19th so will see what bloods etc like then it is a bit frightening but they say appr 1 in4 patients will be admitted to hospital whilst having chemo hope your mum improving D
lilac55

Hi Daisy.

I became neutopaenic with pneumonia after first cycle of tax.my neutrophils were zero.took few days for temp to settle and bloods to recover. I am never ill so great shock for me but seemed quite normal as far as hospital concerned.since then have had reduced doses , antibiotics day 4 to 10 and no more admissions.HOPE mum is feeling better and home soon.gill

waiting

Hi Daisy, hope your mum feeling better. No I didnt stay in overnight. Went back to hospital due to various side effects. Nurses have mentioned possibly reducing my next dose, also the 23rd Dec, as Ive had a particularly bad reaction. This is day 13 for me since last chemo & although I feel much better still far from myself & scared of picking up infection. Chemo very harsh treatment & I'm really not looking forward my second one.
Tell your mum I will be thinking of her on the 23rd. Love C x

maggie59

Thanks Daisy.
That might be for the best and then you can all enjoy Christmas without your Mum being poorly..
There seem to be so many pitfalls along this journey and some encounter them sooner than others!
Mx
Daisy1975

Oh no Maggie, that is unfortunate and must be frustrating. I'm thinking my mums next chemo will be delayed as her neutrophils may not rise in time. I guess we all hope the process will be fairly smooth but there are so many potential complications. My mum hasn't had any ops yet. I worked that out to be around April, but if chemo delayed at different stages then this won't be the case.
I'll keep you updated. She knows I post on here and I often mention the advice shared.
Hope you heal soon M.

Daisy
Xx
maggie59

Hi Daisy
I'm sure that your Mum will start improving soon and yes, she is absolutely in the right place and you know that she is safe and being looked after.
I have an infection under the node scar which has affected the side of my breast.
Had over 50ml of fluid drawn off yesterday and on a week of antibiotics.
Real nuisance because I was supposed to start chemo this week and now not likely to be until the new year as they need to make sure it is sorted or I could be really ill. Not good at all. At least now I know why I was so uncomfortable and it wasn't getting any better!
Keep us posted with your mums progress and tell her that the BCC forum ladies are asking after her.
Mx
Daisy1975

Thanks all.

C - did you have to stay in? My mum is still in and they are reviewing her monday. Still neutropenic (now only 0.7) and its chest infection that they suspect. Still spiking a temp but consultant microbiologist that I work with said takes 48hrs for intravenous antibiotics to show improvement and that some people continue to spike a temp until neutrophils back up. I think they need to be 1.0-1.5 for her to be able to have next chemo which is due 23 dec. think it may be tweaked so it's not as harsh on her.
Why are you in antibiotics Maggie?

Daisy
Xx
waiting

Hi Daisy,

Sorry to hear about your mum. She's in the right place am sure they will get things sorted out for her. Ive been back 3 times since my first chemo on the 2nd Dec and finally on top of side effects etc...

Your mum's lucky to have you.... Love C x

rosie14

Hi Daisy this is very common in chemo patients so please don't worry. She is in the best place.
maggie59

Hi Daisy
Sorry to hear about your Mum. You are having a worrying time.
Good that you got your Mum to hospital and hopefully now that the IV antibiotics are being given she should get better quite quickly.
I am on anti biotics and I haven't got as far as chemo yet!
Keep us posted.
Maggie x
Daisy1975

Mum in hospital

So worried about my mum. Had her first chemo session of FEC-T (FEC part) 10 days ago and she'd been feeling more lethargic the past few days and feeling shivery and unable to warm up . Today she was coughing up a little clear fluid and then became very breathless even when walking a few steps. Temp 38. She does have moderate COPD but only bothers her if going up hill so this was completely out of character. Anyway I took her to hospital and she's been admitted. Her neutrophils were 0.6 (5.7 pre chemo). Her red cells are fine so they suspect infection and she's on IV antibiotics and fluids.

Anyone had similar issues?
Daisy