cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mum's secondary bone cancer

3 REPLIES 3
Thumbie

Re: Mum's secondary bone cancer

Hi Jessica, I have just had rads to lower back. I lay on my tummy for the rads, but this was because I could manage it with ease. If your mum has stiffness and pain in her back that may be why she lay on her back. I'm not sure about doing through the tummy, but I do know that there is a risk of sickness and diarrhoea that can last for some time after the treatment, even up to months. I hope your mum doesn't suffer it for too long. This is because the X-ray can stray onto the intestines during treatment ( unavoidable I think). The doctor should be ale to give her something to help, and advise some adjustments to diet (low fibre). Good luck with it all.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi again, it was her lower back but they said they would do it through her tummy and gave her anti-sickness tablets to help. Maybe I've got it wrong but I thought that's what they said.

dawnhc

Hi Jessica,

I am wondering why you think your mum's rads was done through her tummy. As someone who has had quite a lot of rads to her back (spine) I haven't heard of this. It maybe because she would have been lying on her back and all the marking up is done from above she might have thought this - but the machine rotates right round the body before the technicians leave the room and is aimed from underneath the body as I understand it. Were they treating her lower spine?

I think she needs to see her gp or onc about the diarrhoea to get it under control.

Dawn
xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Mum's secondary bone cancer

Hi there, two weeks ago my mum had rads to her back which was done through her tummy. She is suffering from diarhoea on and off and wondered if this is to do with the treatment? She did have sickness at the time which has gone away but this seems to be persisting?