cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mx op on Monday

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Mx op on Monday

Hi Marie
Glad to hear you've come through your op ok. Good news about your lymph nodes too. Hope you don't needs rads as suggested by your consultant.
You are obviously highly thought of at work 🙂 I've found the same thing - it really does help.
What are you going to splash out on?
I had my second WLE last Thursday and seems to be healing well. Have to wait till 15/4 for results though....
Take care and treat yourself to something nice!
Sue x

Hi Ladies,
Went yesterday for my results and because of Easter the team had not had chance to discuss treatment so the consultant said this is what he thinks will happen as it was ER+ hormone therapy for 5 years and chemo treatment but possibly not rads which I can put up with it was the rads that I was not looking forward to the most as it is a 160 mile round trip everyday to Addenbrookes from where I live. It was only in my sentinel node and not in any of the other lymph nodes that he took out so that was good news.
When I went into my workplace they gave me a card and inside thvCard was £100 which I was told was for me to spend on myself and that the next time I go in there would be something else for me .
It suddenly makes you realise how many people care about you.
Marie

Hi peeps. I came home this aft after MX and ANC on Monday. I decided best to stay in for 2 nights. They gave me the option of staying thru to weekend if I wanted til the drain was out. but opted to come home with drain in. Was given a lovely girly flowery shoulder bag to keep it in. Got to empty drain and measure myself. Trying to keep the dogs away from it as it smells yummy I guess to them!
surprisingly not too painful. Surviving on just paracetamol. Got no dressing on wound, just steri strips. It looks awful. Very sunken. Skin taken as well as IBC diagnosis. Was fitted with a nice post surgery bra and a softee which makes me look normal. And is actually very comfy to wear.
Feeling ok, I think, just hope they got it all out. Told 2-3 weeks for results. Early night tonight I think.
x sue

Good on you nanniereeree - one boob does not make a person! I too have been with my hubby since school. I'm 38 and we have been married 16 years. I showed my OH the new me a couple of weeks after th op. I must admit I had a bit of a drink and decided to show him. I think it was because I knew I had my post-op appointment coming up and didn't want him to be outside in the waiting room. I think if anything I had bigger fears than him. When you have been together so long, well it just becomes one of those things. At the end of the day he has seen me give birth to two children and he still loved and fancied me after that. And well lets just say, I know he still fancies me after my MX.

It is early days, but is sound like you are both strong together.

Hi Elliedog, the consultant asked me if I had looked when he came round yesterday morning and when I said I looked last night he was a bit startled I think. I have been with my hubby since I was 15 I'm now 52 he loves me for me not my body he says lol. I've started the excercises and I have two drains in so that is a real pain. The hardest thing is going to the loo. Cant wait for the drains to come out.
Marie

Hi nanniereeree,
Hope you don't mind me posting but i had my right breast mx and node clearance on the 21st March 2013. I came out the next day with a drain, my hospital doesn't like to keep you in. I felt better coming home was able to move around and rest when I wanted to. I agree with everyone exercises are important. Although I haven't complete movement and my wound is still numb and tight I can pretty much do normal stuff around the house(though the drain is a pain to carry around but that comes out tommorrow). I to took brief looks at my breast to help me get my head around what has happened and I can say that I can look at myself now with acceptance. It was my decision to have the breast removed not just the lump, for a little peace of mind so I knew this was something I was doing to save my life. Plus I have the most understanding husband that you could ever hope for that having one breast really doesn't matter to him. One thing I do find at the moment is that I get cold very quickly and not sure if that is because I of the operation and my body is busy healing or just because it is freezing out there. But when I get cold that makes me feel low so moving around and keeping warm is a must for me. Keep smiling and laughing it certainly works for me. This is just a blip that we will get over and continue with a healthy life. Lots of hugs.
Elliedog xxxxx

They like to get you home ASAP for our hospital More rest than there with buzzers going off and because I work there a constant stream of visitors... Slept the best I've slept for weeks kicked hubby out into the spare room woke up at 4 to go toilet then slept till 7.30

Wow nanniereeree, back home already. Not one for hospitals then I was in from wednesday to saturday, that was enough for me. I didn't want to go home with the drains, but can understand why you probably decided to go home. there is nothing like your own bed. Make sure you have plenty of pillows around you.

How are you anyway? Managed any simple exercises yet? I remember how my right arm ached from over use as my op was on my left and I am also left handed. That's why doing the exercises and getting movement was so important for me.

Hope you have a settled night. Take care.
Dianne

Hi ladies op over back home with drains in. Had lymph nodes removed back on the 4th April for results. Went in at 7.30 down to theatre at 4.30 pm so bit groggy this morning home had to stay till after dinner. Are you out Catzooo or still in ? Xxxx

Good luck Sue and Marie for today jope it goes ok for you both. Can't help you out with any words of wisdom as have mine on 25 April and I have to have a double MX x x

Thanks poemsgalore got a SNB as well at least I will be asleep lol xxxx

Hi Marie
Just wanted to wish you good luck for Monday. I had left MX on 12/12/12, with snb. Three nodes removed, one with cancer cells in it. Op went well, and now I'm half way through chemo. Hope all goes well for you and any future treatment after op.

Poemsgalore xx

Ooopppps sent it twice so deleted one x

Thanks Mrs B any advice is bring taken on board.
Catzooo me too eating plenty of fruit and drinking water. Would love to have you as a Mx buddy to compare experiences with lol. will be thinking of you too wouldn't it be strange if we were both in Kings Lynn Hospital xx
Marie

Hi ladies. Just wanted to wish you all the best. I had my mx on the 13th feb. My best advice, as well as keeping positve, it do the recommended exercises after the op and as soon as possible. Being able to move is key to feeling like you are getting back to normal. I started the morning after the op and it gave me a real sense of power that I was determined not to lie back and be helpless. Start with the easy ones and as you get more and more confident you can include others. I know how hard it is to get your head around the next few days/weeks but take any support and help offered.

Also, and I know this is a hard one, but I would say that what helped me come to terms quickly is taking a 'peek'. Every so often,when you are ready, just hold you top open and look down. I found that over time I could either open my top a little more or look for a little longer. Acceptance is key and will help you move forward and also will give you that independance for washing and dressing etc. It certianly has helped me, though it is a long road for all of us.

All I can say ladies is that you will be fine, the fear of the unknown is the worst. Known of us really know what is means to be strong until something like this happens. I will be thinking of you.XX
Dianne

Hi Marie
Me too!!! I have MX and ANC tomorrow Monday. Am scared and worried. Went out last night for a meal, shared a botle of wine, but today will eat plain healthy food for a little detox.
Lots of useful tips on here. Seems impolrtant to do the stretching exercises.
Be thinking of you in the morning as we're waiting to be done.
Be nice to have a MX buddy to compare stuff over the next few weeks if you're up to it?
Best wishes
x Sue

Thanks everyone for your kind words and support. I am very lucky as I work at the hospital where I am having the op and have been there for 18 years. I work as a seamstress so issue uniforms to new staff so everyone who starts comes to see me.
Featherbird our hospital provides you with a long handled bag to go over your shoulder I have washed them in the laundry on odd occasions but never really knew what they were for. Have had some good support from work colleagues who have been through it so am prepared as much as can be and this site is amazing.
The worst thing was having to tell our children especially my son who two weeks before had told me they were expecting a baby and it is their first so defiantly am going to beat this .
Feeling a little nervous this morning but will keep busy and am going To get myself some fruit for today
xxx Marie

Good luck Nanniereeree I had my mx 2 days ago and am doing okayso far, the staff in the hospital are brilliant and I'm already trying to plan my escape! I hope yours goes as well next week. Xxx

Hi, sorry you have to go through this, but honestly, its not all that bad. Drink plenty of water to hydrate and fresh fruit and veg over the weekend to get your body ready for op. only positive thoughts aloud. After the op you should `nt feel sore because you wihll be on pain relief and
it will be numb anyway. Wine bottle gift bag is good for carrying your drains about. i was encouraged to move gently next day as it stops stiffness and it worked for me. Have soft, light, button through tops, because difficult to raise arm very high first couple of days. Anything else you need to ask please dont hesitate, and im sure there are lot of other ladies with useful tips. Pleae try not to worry, (easier said thn done) but you will get through this and come out the other side. Great bigs gs xxxxx

Hi Marie
Sorry to hear that you received your diagnosis on my birthday, of all days, and I would just like to wish you luck for Monday. I had my MX in April 2011 so I know exactly how you are feeling.
I have posted a forum topic entitled 'My journey through my breast cancer treatment and out the other side' in the hope that it will inspire hope in all you ladies about to embark on your very own 'Journey' There is life on the other side of your treatment but I am sure that you will find your 'Journey' a lot easier knowing that there are others like me on these foums willing you along your way.
Good luck and take care and one day you too will be able to help future BC patients with your support.
Best wishes
Mazzalou xx

Good luck Nanniereeree I had my mx in August followed by chemo then radiotheraphy take care xx

Good luck Nanniereeree I had my mx in August followed by chemo then radiotheraphy take care xx

hi nannireeree
good luck for monday, im 2 and a half weeks post op and feeling good. hope everything goes well, just to say i took all the wrong clothes, try and have very stretchy or button up clothing for the hospital and coming home.
angie x

Mx op on Monday

Hi I am having a full MX right side on Monday was dx on 07 March 13. I really do not know how I would have coped without coming on here and the support of two wonderful lady's at work who have both been through breast cancer and come out the other side.. They have really kept my spirits up. Wednesday I was phoned by the breast care nurse and told that my chest X-ray showed something on one of my ribs and I went straight into panic mode but they were both there for me . Had to have CT scan this morning thankfully it was ok. I have kept my spirits up but now that it is only two days away it suddenly becomes very real... I would also like to thank all of your for sharing info it is so helpful to be able to read other peoples experiences
Marie x