cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Cyberknife News Article in the Evening Argus

10 REPLIES 10

Re: My Cyberknife News Article in the Evening Argus

Hi Sossages,
I've just posted another couple of threads about Cyberknife which you may find useful.
I'm not aware of Cyberknife coming to Scotland - but St. James's in Leeds are getting one in 2011 (so at least there will be something outside of London).
Hopefully, as the Scots seem a bit more enlightened in their support of public spending, you may find funding - but the list I have of PCT's that fund Cyberknife are all in England.
All the best.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thankyou Lemongrove for your answer. I have now gone from a complete ignoramus to a gamma- knife versus cyberknife expert!

The Cyberknife reads like a giant leap in progress that many of us would greatly benefit from and I wish you the very best success in your campaign. Having been through a successful campaign to keep my son's school open I know how all time consuming and emotionally rollercoaster such campaigns can be. I take my hat off to you. Scottish health is devolved (for better or for worse) and I ask if you know if such treatment is scheduled to be available in this land of Heathens.

Congratulations in being lucky enough to get the treatment yourself.

Hi Finty, I'm the first to have Cyberknife for skull metastasis in the UK. Other than baldness on the right side of my head, no side effects.
Hi Sossages, your wife did not have Cyberknife because sadly it's not available in Scotland yet (at the moment there are only three, and they are all in London). I suspect the treatment she had was Gamma-knife, which is used for brain tumours. The main difference between Gamma-knife and Cyberknife is that Cyberknife is a computer guided, robotic system, that moves around the patient, and fires from different angles. Additionally, Cyberknife takes thousands of images of the patient during treatment, which are fed back to the computer - which in turn makes miniscule adjustments to compensate for movement. As a consequence, it is super precise, and, unlike conventional radiotherapy, does not damage healthy tissue.
The treatment your wife had ( Gamma-knife) is static, does not adjust itself during treatment, and is only used on the brain/brain stem area.

Hi Lemongrove

I was interested that the article said you were the first in the country to have this treatment - did they mean by that the first to have treatment for bc bone mets, or the first to have it on that area of the skull?

How are you feeling now - I know you've had the distressing problem with the bald patch, but other than that have you had any se's?

finty xx

Guest user
Not applicable

I have just read your blog and ask if what you call "Cyberknife" is indeed the same as the stereotactic radiotherapy (single shot targeted intensive blast) my wife received earlier this year on the N.H.S. (Glasgow Beatson) to her b.c. secondary brain tumour after it had quickly regrown from surgical removal.
It appears to have been successful, but with major side effects as can be read in my "advice please" post in the secondaries treatments section.
Such side effects obviously would not be an issue for breast treatment.

I'm bumping this because there have been some informative comments on my blog, and I would like others to read.

Very interesting.
From the article it would appear that not only are there huge benefits to patients, but it would actually cost the NHS less. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Guest user
Not applicable

Great article
Joxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Fascinating article - all the best.

Well done, and sending lots of positive vibes.

My Cyberknife News Article in the Evening Argus

For those of you who may be interested, I have uploaded the article to my Cyberknife Blog - link below.
The Daily Mail are also about to publish my story, and I will also provide a link to that.

http://campaignforcyberknifefunding.blogspot.com/2010/10/campaign-for-nhs-cyberknife-funding.html