My Diagnosis

After reading some of the posts in this Forum I feel  a bit of a fraud. On Jan 10th I went for my mammogram then was called in to have it repeated they also did a biopsy the same day, I saw a consultant on Feb 3rd who told me  I had cancer then had a MRI scan last week  and saw the consultant surgeon last Friday. Result being I have pre-op assessment next week and surgery on the 28th. I feel a bit of a fraud because there is no lump to feel and nothing to see externally and apart from the normal aches and pains that most people get in their seventies I feel fine. What I didn’t realise was that hearing the diagnosis could mess with my brain so much has anyone else felt like that?

Dear Lenni47,

Sorry to hear that you have had this news, but this is the best place to come for support and comfort. You should not feel like a ‘fraud’. The diagnosis is a shock to everyone who receives it and nothing can prepare you for it. The fact that you could not feel any lump is not uncommon - I couldn’t feel anything either and mine was detected on a routine mammogram. I felt fine as well, which is also not unusual, so it just goes to illustrate that we can be ill without feeling it. You will find that the waiting in the initial stages is the worst part of all this, but when you have a treatment plan, you will start to feel better about things. Please come here to chat or express your worries and there will always be someone who will advise you and support you through everything.  Best of luck xxx Lily

Lenni

Welcome to the gang, trouble is it is one place none of us would actually choose to be but you will have the support of a load of lovely lovely ladies on here who will get you through.

I am a little younger than you, 58, but i in the same way had no idea that I had breast cancer, I went to a routine mammogram and it all unfolded after that, I never felt a lump did not feel unwell,so it was a complete shock after two different biospies that it was confirmed as breast cancer.

It does mess with your brain because it is the last thing any of us want to hear but with our support and your wonderful breast care team you will be fine.  You are trying to take in a lot of information at the moment but give yourself some breathing space.

Come on here whenever you feel you need to laugh (oh yes we do an awful lot of that ) cry, rant, rave or even just to have a chat, there will always be someone on here to talk to, some of our ladies are on holiday on the other side of the world so they tend to be on in the wee small hours when the rest of us are tucked up.

Sending you a big hug

Helena xxx

Hi Lenni

Please don’t feel like a fraud. BC is so hard to get your head around.

I was diagnosed at the beginning of January at 46 years of age. Routine MRI highlighted a supicious area so was biopsied, everyone kept saying it looked fine, but they were doing it just to be 100% sure. 3 days later Breast cancer was confirmed, had felt nothing at all, so was a complete shock to me. Physically I felt absolutely fine, so yes, the diagnosis messed with my head. How could I be so well but have cancer ?

It became easier to deal with post op as I had pain to make me realize I was ill.

I have been back at work and the now for two weeks and feel physically well again, mentally though it’s hard. I even woke up this week thinking it was a dream and no more treatment was needed. It has been a complete rollercoaster of emotions that I have struggled to deal with.

My rads start in about a weeks time, so focusing on that now.

I understand How you are feeling, I have been there too, especially as there are no outward signs l. This forum has been a godsend for me, I can rant and moan, but also feel normal again.

Take one day at a time and think about yourself. Give yourself the time and space you need to get your head round this. I am still doing this 5 weeks later.

Take care, sending positive hugs to you ? ?X