My Mum was diagnosed today :-(

Hello all,

My Mum went for her biopsy results today and she has been diagnosed with breast cancer.
One the sheet of paper my Mum was given the doctor had put :'Grade 3 Invasive Carcinoma with some ductal and some lobular features associated with in situ carcinoma. B5b. ER & PR 8/8. HER-2 NEGATIVE.
The doctor said its 1 inch long, non aggressive and slow growing and its not an actual lump yet thank fully. He said it would have been a while before it had turned into a lump.
They have said my Mum will need surgery to remove it, radiotherapy and then to be on hormone tablets after that.

Does the above make any sense to any one because it doesnt to me xx

Hi bumblegirl

I am sorry to read about you’re Mum’s diganosis.  I’m sure some of the other users will be along soon to offer you their experiences and support.

In the meantime your Mum might find the BCC resources pack helfpul.  It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help gain a better understanding of the dignosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link below:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also if you or your Mum would like to talk anything through do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you emotional support as well as practical information. Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi bumblegirl

Sorry it was bad news. It sounds like it has been caught early though which is good.  I do not fully understand the figures you have, I have not asked for my pathology results yet & my hospital don’t seem to just give them out. (I can only seem to deal with one step at a time and surgery and radiotherapy have been higher priority for me so far).  I don’t know what timescales will be like at your Mums hospital, but for me, I was diagnosed 16 Sept, Surgery 16 Oct, now I have 5 days of radiotherapy to finish (15 days radoiotherapy in total).  So apart from hormone tablets I will be finished by Christmas.  It will have been 4 months start to finish. I was lucky though and apart from the initial diagnosis I have not had any nasty surprises.

You might find they do some more tests on your Mum before surgery.  Also they test the tissue they remove in surgery, so there is another couple of weeks waiting for results after surgery before they finally confirm the rest of the treatment plan.

I found the going through treatment section helpful to get myself ready for surgery, what to take to hospital, etc.  Your Mum might not want to talk about things much now, but you will be a real help to her later.

Hello Bumble,
Sorry to hear about your mum.
I can highly recommend the BCC leaflets. I was first diagnosed just over 10 weeks ago and knew none of the terminology but soon became very familiar with it after reading the leaflets. They are excellent.
Even though your mum is still coming to terms with the shock news and does not want to know all the details at the moment, it would be very helpful for you to get the leaflets on her behalf. You will be able to read through them yourself and be better informed to support your mother.
I am sure once she has got over the initial shock she will feel able to read the leaflets herself.

B5b = Invasive Breast Cancer
ER = Oestrogen Receptor Status. (Your mum’s doctor has recommended Hormone therapy because it is strong at a score of 8/8. Oestrogen stimulates cancer to grow.
PR = Progesterone Receptor Status.
HER2 = Herceptin Status. A negative result is better than a positive one.

I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Cancer, ER+ 8/8 PR+ 7/8 and HER2 negative.
My treatment plan included lumpectomy surgery, 3 weeks radiotherapy and hormone therapy (Tamoxifen for 2 years then Exemestane for 3 years).
Now on my last week of radiotherapy finishing Christmas Eve.
Sending your mum very best wishes. It is ‘doable’.
Good luck.
M

PS From my first diagnosis on 3 October to my last radiotherapy treatment on 23 December (3 weeks of radiotherapy) the timeframe will be 11 weeks and 4 days. But will continue taking hormone therapy.
Like Freda I was lucky and had no added surprises.

Hi bumble girl - sorry to hear about your mum.

Your mum is probably in denial, like a lot of us ladies here with BC. I know I feel like it is happening to someone else and not me! We all deal with things in different ways. She is probably trying to remain strong for you and the family too.

Support and information is vitally essential during our journeys. You will definitely get both here from this forum.

I was diagnosed on the 13th November with grade 3 invasive ductal BC, 8/8 PR and 8/8 ER positive HER2 negative - I had WLE wide local excision and SNL sentinel node biopsy on the 21st November.

I am waiting on the results of the oncotype DX profile test and if not low risk I will proceed with chemotherapy, radiotherapy and endocrine therapy with tamoxifen for 7-10 years.

Waiting on test results and treatment plan is probably the hardest as many ladies on the forum say. You can only deal with this cancer journey in little stages. I keep myself grounded by reading other ladies stories here on the forum. I always try to think of someone worse off than me and it works - I count myself lucky so far!

Unfortunately, my tumour was larger than they first thought and had to take 50mm out during my surgery which meant that I had to have some reconstructive surgery. At the end of my treatment I will have to have further surgery.

I just wanted to say that whilst this is all so scary for you and your mum, in most cases it is all treatable.

I supported my mum the year before last during ovarian cancer so I know how you feel. Just be there for her, try to be positive for her and take the support and information that you will get from these lovely inspirational ladies here on the site.

Take care sweetie and let me know if I can help in any way.

Mands xxx

Thank you for replying everyone.
So sorry to hear how you are all suffering too. Such a cruel disease. I hope all of your treatments go well and wish you all speedy recoveries.  xxxx