My beautiful Mum

Hello

I’m new to this site and am looking for some support. My mum found a difference in her nipple last week and subsequently the doctor found a lump behind her nipple. Her appointment with the clinic is next Monday.

I feel constantly sick, nervous, crying loads and petrified for her and that I couldn’t live life without my mum in it. I fear for the worse and know I have to remain positive but my mum is beautiful and the thought of her being scared and coping with what may be a positive result is unbearable.

I can’t stop thinking about the outcome - I know it could be good news but I really do fear for the bad.

Today, it can be cured can’t it - please send me lots of positive notes - I feel desperate but I am being strong for my mum - she is being positive.

Thanks

Hi There
Firstly I would like to say what a wonderful daughter you are.
I was diagnosed last August after finding a lump in my breast. I think Everyone on here would agree that its very difficult going through the waiting at the beginning to know if you actually have breast cancer or not.
Lets hope your mum is ok.
I have nearly got to the end of my treatment now which was chemotherapy, operation and radiotherapy. I have been told my outlook is very good.
The treatments today are excellent.
I am sure once you and your Mum have got through the inital stage of finding out what is exactly is going on it will become a bit easier.
There is so much help and support on this site.
Wishing you and your Mum all the best.
Alison x

Hi Ronnie

You sound the same as my daughter was 2 years ago.

We are in Lancashire and she is in Oxfordshire so quite a distance away. I didn’t tell her when I went to the see the GP, but I told her after I went to the Breast clinic and that I had to have a surgical biopsy.

She had hysterics and said that I hadn’t to die yet because my Grandson (who was eighteen months old at the time) would not remember me.

The biopsy did show that I had cancer, and I went on to have a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and 7 lymph nodes taken out. The cance had spread to 2 lymph nodes and was fed by hormones (er+) and was HER+. I went on to have 8 sessions of chemotherapy and 17 sessions of Herceptin. I finished my treatment at teh end of March.

I have to go to the breast clinic in November and back to oncology clinc next May. I am feeling well and a CT scan that I had around Christmas showed that I had no evidence of disease.

I hope that your mum gets good news. If she is unlucky, tell her that she will get a lot of support from this site, as you will.

It helps when your family is supportive and I am sure that you will help each other through the bad patches.

Good luck and take care

Marilyn x

Having a breast cancer diagnosis is a very scary thing. We all worry that the worst can happen.

However, the outlook for the vast majority of us is good. We can look forward to long and happy lives. The survival rates are very good and getting better all the time.

Let’s hope that your mum is OK, but if she has cancer diagnosed I am sure you will be there to help her through her treatment.

Best wishes

Hi

Thanks for your comments - I already feel a bit better but feel I am preparing myself for the worst. It feels like a bit of a dream at the moment, just like my mum says.
I too live away from my parents so it’s difficult dealing with it from a distance - they are both however coming down to visit for a few days this week - I’ll try and occupy them with lots of jobs!
Like anyone, mum doesn’t deserve to be going through this and I too feel hysterical already when all we know at this stage is she has a lump.
I really just cannot be without her and promise to make sure I wont be as if it is bad news…the statistics can be good.

Ronniex

Hi Ronnie,

My Mum was diagnosed with BC last August after finding a lump at a routine mamorgram. I will never forget when she rang me to say she had found a lump and from that day I was with her every step of the way and never dreamt it was breast cancer. I really hope that you have good results for your Mum and that it isn’t BC, but what I just wanted to say is that if it is, you will get through it.

If you had said to me a year ago could we deal with it all, I would have said no. But she has had chemo and a lumpectomy and unfortunately needs to have a mastectomy which she is having tomorrow and we are getting there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard and I never want my Mum or I to have to go through it again, but you can do it.

What you are experiencing is totally normal, I did too and still do. I feel quite numb about tomorrow and am scared to death, but we will get through it. If you ever want to chat feel free to send me a message.

I really hope everything is well for you and your Mum.

Michelle x

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your message - glad to hear you are managing to cope with what I feel is an absolute living nightmare - I have all sorts of situations going through my mind and it’s making me feel so sick…I cant believe this is happenning to my mum after all, she is well, fit and to be honest thought she would be here until she is 100! That still may be the case of course and no loving daughter wants her mum to go through any pain.
I have been through this before - my brother had cancer 10 years ago and is now fighting fit - if we get bad news, I’m sure he will be a rock. I’m afraid I’ll be hysterical. I always think the worst. I must be positive and strong.
I hope tomorrow goes well, reading so many positive stories on this site must be comforting for you - you too sound like a fantastic daughter.
I’ll take you up on the offer of keeping in touch if thats ok
Good luck to you and your mum for tomorrow
Ronniex

Thanks for your lovely message Ronnie.

I should have said that my Mum’s tumour was about 3cm when they found it and it was 8mm after the chemo and they removed the cancer with the lumpectomy, it’s now just prevention as the found pre-cancerous cells in the wider area so just thought it was safer to have the mastectomy. I’m starting to feel quite anxious now, I just want to get it over with so we can start the recovery.

I understand what you mean, my Mum eats healthily, exercises, doesn’t smoke and drinks a minimal amount! It was a total shock but there is so much they can do now. Sometimes I do break down when it hits me again and I feel angry that she has to go through it, but somewhere you get an inner strength. This site has been invaluable to me.

Definately keep in touch.

Michelle x

Hi Michelle

Just want to say am thinking of you today - hope all goes well.

I don’t know if I want time to stop and Monday never come or if I want Monday here right now so we know what we’re dealing with - god this is awful…Mum being very strong though

x

Just wanted to offer my support. I know exactly what you are feeling.
Give her lots of cuddles and love as that makes you stronger.

I send my love and hope the outcome is a good one.

Take care
Jill
x x x x x

Hi Jill,

Thanks so much for your e-mail - Mum had her tests done yesterday inc a biopsy and was told that the results will be ready next Wednesday!!! Another week of waiting…it’s definitely not a cyst so we’re preparing ourself for news we don’t want to hear. Feel so surreal and one minute I feel it isn’t happening then the next I’m in tears - my mum like most is amazing but I’m going to try and be as strong as possible and fight it with her. We’re a close family and been through it before so we can do it again!

Thanks for your support, I really appreciate it.

Ronniex