My diagnosis took 3 years!

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. 3 years ago I went to the unit with a lump. After a mammogram and an ultrasound I was told I had a cyst and dense breast tissue. No one did a biopsy. They said it might change size and shape but nothing to worry about. 18 months ago I asked the surgery nurse how I could tell if there was something I should worry about and she reassured me and gave me a leaflet on BC symptoms. 8 weeks ago my skin started to pucker and now they tell me I have stage III ductal BC. They cannot be sure that it was not there 3 years ago. It is now 6cm, Grade 2 and in at least 1 node which is enlarged. Bone scan and CT were clear.

I can’t quite believe it. I’ve been bumbling along for years thinking I just had a lumpy cysty breast and all along it was cancer. I am 41 and have a 14yr old.

Of all the difficulties it’s the waiting I find so hard. I am having chemo first to shrink the tumours before surgery but I won’t see the oncologist until the 17th and no one can tell me how long I might wait to start chemo. Every day that I am not having treatment I am terrified that it is spreading. My new fave song is ‘all I want for Christmas is chemo’.

How long have folk had to wait and how do you cope with the waiting? I have begun a ‘get fit for chemo’ regime of healthy eating etc just to feel like I am at least doing something!

Hello Pie,
I couldn’t just read your post and walk away without replying.
I am so sorry you have found yourself in this situation and want to send you lots of good wishes for the journey ahead.
There is a section on BCC Forum where people post about Chemo and you may wish to repeat your post on there too.
The Chemo section is under ‘Going Through Treatment’.
I was one of the lucky ones not requiring Chemo so am unable to give you first hand knowledge. Sorry!!! However, I am sure if you add another post under the Chemo section lots of ladies will see your question and help you.
I can also highly recommend contacting the BCC helpline which is fabulous for advice. They will be able to send you appropriate leaflets and info on Chemotherapy.
Sending you a big hug.
Peace and Positivity,
M x

Hi Pie

we have swapped blogs so far so getting to know you a little.  

Good to see you are doign the healthy nutrition thing.   I bought a brilliant juicer when i was first diagnosed and went totally organic which yes, is more expensive but because i cut out a lot other things it didn’t work out that much.   

I too didn’t have to have chemo but i do wish you all the very best, there is some interesting stuff out there about fasting before chemo makes it easier.   Not sure if it works though.    from what i hear everyone reacts differently to it.   A friend has so far had no problems and he is a couple of months in. 

Dawn xx