Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My diagnosis took 3 years!

6 REPLIES 6
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: My diagnosis took 3 years!

Hi Pie

we have swapped blogs so far so getting to know you a little.  

Good to see you are doign the healthy nutrition thing.   I bought a brilliant juicer when i was first diagnosed and went totally organic which yes, is more expensive but because i cut out a lot other things it didn't work out that much.   

I too didn't have to have chemo but i do wish you all the very best, there is some interesting stuff out there about fasting before chemo makes it easier.   Not sure if it works though.    from what i hear everyone reacts differently to it.   A friend has so far had no problems and he is a couple of months in. 

Dawn xx

Jonamo

Good luck with it all. Keep me posted.
A x
Pie314

Jonamo (did you know your name comes up as Nonsmoking in iPad autocorrect?!?!!)

Thanks so much for such a considered response. If I am that coherent and eloquent 7 days into chemo I'll be delighted. It is the size of the tumour and the size of the enlarged nodes that means chemo first. They want to shrink them to get the best margins possible.

Do you really think I might actually start this month? I was thinking Christmas might get in the way but I guess it's just a few bank holidays so it might not really impact.
Blimey. This month.

I shall be complaining that it's all too soon next, just you watch! 😉
Jonamo

Hi Pie, sorry that you find yourself here, but you will get a lot of support, so you are in the right place. My situation is similar, I am 43 with 2 boys 9 and 7. 3 years ago I went for a mammogram/ultrasound because my nipples discharged ever slightly. I also was told that they looked clear other than a tiny something that they saw but not at all suspicious. My cancer was in my right breast and for the past couple of years I have had the tiniest itchy patch that I did go to the GP for, but he was not convinced it was any sign of cancer. This summer I felt a lump near my nipple, I went to my GP, who felt this one and found another! He referred me straight away to have a mammogram/ultrasound which was at the end of August. I found out on the day I had breast cancer. A week later my core biopsy results came back as grade 2 IDC in both lumps, hormone positive, HER neg. My lumps were estimated to be 8mm and 16mm so I had my operations (mastectomy and a full lymph node clearance, following a Sentinel lymph node clearance first. The tumours were actually 2cm and 3cm). I started chemo last week.

I think in your case, it could be that because your tumour is 6cm, they will want to shrink it before operating. My friend had her chemo first and only has one more chemo cycle to go, her recent scans show that the tumour is gone which psychologically is great. She will have her surgery in January, followed by radiotherapy. Once you see your oncologist I am sure that your treatment will begin fairly swiftly. You will find that it is a roller coaster of a journey but you will get through it. Try not to worry too much about the thought that the cancer is growing, now that they know you have cancer, the doctors will not delay your treatment unnecessarily. Grade 2 is not grade 3, so although it is faster growing than grade 1 it is not the most aggressive. I was diagnosed end August, SLNB end September, mastectomy and ANC 1st Nov and ct and bone scans mid nov, chemo started 4th December. The waiting of results is the absolute worst, but stay positive.

I believe that once you are in the system for cancer, you will be well treated. The doctors will only be wanting what is best for you. Each case is individual, sometimes it takes longer for some people than for others, because there are many permutations involved.

Try to remain strong. The waiting of results is definitely the worst. Once you do finally get all the details and your full treatment plan it does get easier.

Apologies for rambling...but putting this down to being only 7 days post chemo! Join us on the December Angels thread under monthly chemotherapy threads. It looks like you may well be starting your chemo this month.

A x
Pie314

Hi MM. Thanks for the good wishes and the tip on the Chemo board. I will pop over there and do that right now. 🙂 x
Magical_Moon

Hello Pie,
I couldn't just read your post and walk away without replying.
I am so sorry you have found yourself in this situation and want to send you lots of good wishes for the journey ahead.
There is a section on BCC Forum where people post about Chemo and you may wish to repeat your post on there too.
The Chemo section is under 'Going Through Treatment'.
I was one of the lucky ones not requiring Chemo so am unable to give you first hand knowledge. Sorry!!! However, I am sure if you add another post under the Chemo section lots of ladies will see your question and help you.
I can also highly recommend contacting the BCC helpline which is fabulous for advice. They will be able to send you appropriate leaflets and info on Chemotherapy.
Sending you a big hug.
Peace and Positivity,
M x
Pie314

My diagnosis took 3 years!

I was diagnosed 3 weeks ago. 3 years ago I went to the unit with a lump. After a mammogram and an ultrasound I was told I had a cyst and dense breast tissue. No one did a biopsy. They said it might change size and shape but nothing to worry about. 18 months ago I asked the surgery nurse how I could tell if there was something I should worry about and she reassured me and gave me a leaflet on BC symptoms. 8 weeks ago my skin started to pucker and now they tell me I have stage III ductal BC. They cannot be sure that it was not there 3 years ago. It is now 6cm, Grade 2 and in at least 1 node which is enlarged. Bone scan and CT were clear.

I can't quite believe it. I've been bumbling along for years thinking I just had a lumpy cysty breast and all along it was cancer. I am 41 and have a 14yr old.

Of all the difficulties it's the waiting I find so hard. I am having chemo first to shrink the tumours before surgery but I won't see the oncologist until the 17th and no one can tell me how long I might wait to start chemo. Every day that I am not having treatment I am terrified that it is spreading. My new fave song is 'all I want for Christmas is chemo'.

How long have folk had to wait and how do you cope with the waiting? I have begun a 'get fit for chemo' regime of healthy eating etc just to feel like I am at least doing something!