139 REPLIES 139
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: My hair has a sense of humour!

And I still look like a sheep.

applestreet

Hi

no comment to make but I love this thread, makes me laugh every time!! I haven't seen my natural colour since eve gave adam an apple, waiting to start chemo and will just be grateful if it grows back at the moment.

best wishes to all M

Slendablenda

My hair has a sense of humour - there's no sign of it yet!

Guest user
Not applicable

I am still working the silver fox look (Ninja!). I have tried a few blonde strands but my hair is resisting the bleach and I dont want the lemon meringue look! I was a blonde for thirty years before BC and to be honest I was more relieved to have hair come back whether it was grey or purple as some friends are still bald after chemo. So for now I am working the grey and I don't care too much about how it looks and i am buying purple shampoo wherever I can. I recently found Boots do a brilliant brand which is cheap as chips! X

DJ007

I finally found the time/courage to put a semi-permanent on my hair tonight.

Almost had a heart attack when what I was washing out was GREEN!

However, it's turned out OK - darker than I would have been before, but quite a nice colour. Will update photo soon!

I can think of a new BBC 2 programme - The Hair Hunters!
Dx

marli

Enjoyed reading this thread - it also made me lol. My previously thick, coarse and wavy hair has come back with a vengeance and if anything there is now LESS grey than before. Very strange.BUT the experience has left me VERY,VERY, grateful just to have hair , eyebrows and lashes.

tigerpig

Thanks Cackles x

Cackles

I am bumping this thread up for you Tigerpig

libsue

I hope some of you find this useful. I did use Daniel Fields hair dye before my chemo as it's a very natural and gently dye. Do the forums allow links to commercial sites? If not, I'm sure an administrator will remove, and I apologise.

http://danielfield.net/jos/index.php/hair-a-cancer

angielav

angielav

I'm three months post chemo and my hairdresser reckons my hair is in brilliant nick .. coming back very thick and strong and shouldn't be a problem to colour .. I'll let you know in two weeks when he's done it!

DJ007

OK - I've bought a semi-permanent today. I'll report back when I've plucked up the courage to use it!

Dx

Wandy

Thanks for responses everyone. Think I will wait till hair appt in Dec, am only just 2 months post last chemo now so that will give it another 6 weeks for my hair to man up and get ready to TAKE THE DYE!!!!

Wandyx

Guest user
Not applicable

I asked my hairdresser why my hair couldn't be coloured, and was told that the condition isn't good enough. I have to agree.

Ninja

Jane:"alternatively - there is something in being able to be who we actually are, no pretense, no hiding"
Aye, but 'who I am' didn't have grey hair before chemo and I got tired of waiting for the pigment to kick in. It's not like I was dyed grey before; I wasn't.

Wandy:"Am longing to colour it and have an appointment for just before Christmas with hairdresser but am very tempted to do a H&B naturtint thingy before.

Can anyone tell me why we have to avoid proper hairdresser dyes...?"

My hairdresser told me that the dyes she would normally use would damage my hair as it is still coming through with chemo damage for the moment. So she used a special gentle semi on it instead. I have to say, it ain't washing out! She has done it the same colour as my roots would be before the sun bleached them; I'm looking forward to getting some highlights back in it in due course.

"Loving your hair Ninja, good colour."
Thanks, sweetheart.

Mazzalou

As you say Wandy, a minefield for us in knowing whether to carry on with our lifestyles as before, or look at absolutely everything that we put in or on our bodies as a matter of course, and probably end up by becoming neurotic in the process!

We may think that we eat healthily, but do we know the full facts all of the time?

I think that if we try and use natural products as far as we can then we are taking a step in the right direction, but it is all about striking a balance. I have heard of some who have given up meat, alcohol, processed foods etc etc after their diagnosis, but who can say why they succumbed to their cancer in the 1st place? Why do some non-smokers get lung cancer and some heavy smokers do not?

The reason to avoid parabens is that they mimic oestrogen which some breast cancers feed off. Again, it seems that there is a lot of research around on the subject. Don't forget that there are other natural sources of oestrogen to avoid too such as evening primrose oil.

Here are a couple of links concerning parabens, but there are plenty more out there.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/parabens.htm

http://www.thegoodhuman.com/2007/06/21/what-are-parabens-and-why-should-you-avoid-them/

Happy reading, and why not ask your hairdresser if they have any natural hair products that they can use on your hair in future, and if not, perhaps they can start stocking them for you and other customers?

I think that plenty of tlc is the order of the day for our new crop of hair and I am going to try the herbatint product once I have grown enough hair!

Good luck and looking forward seeing your lustrous locks!

Wandy

My VERY grey mop is tufty and wayward and to me doesn't seem to be progressing fast enough. Am longing to colour it and have an appointment for just before Christmas with hairdresser but am very tempted to do a H&B naturtint thingy before.

Can anyone tell me why we have to avoid proper hairdresser dyes with the parabens etc?? I get that they are more toxic and we should all avoid everything toxic where poss but I have always gone to the hairdresser and I use other toxic things in my life, cleaning products, deodorants, perfumes etc...am I putting myself at huge risk just going back to my old routine at the hairdressers?

Did the use of these dyes give me cancer, as well as wearing the yellow wellies???...Note to self, check with the Daily Mail!

Seriously can someone tell me the answer? I asked one of my team and they said just do what I always did and another one said, 'be careful'...so which is it??

Loving your hair Ninja, good colour.

Wandyx

GIJaneH

alternatively - there is something in being able to be who we actually are, no pretense, no hiding.... can be a freedom! 🙂

Ninja

Nah, grey hair only ever suited Gandalf the Grey.

Get thee to a hairdresser!
;o)

DJ007

Go for it Angie!

I'm still wavering about what to do. Annoyingly a few people have said that short hair and the grey suits me. Even more annoyingly, I'm starting to think that they are right!

Dx

angielav

Right, decided for def going to hairdressers to see what can be done ... colour wise or lowlights... and it will need trimming over next couple of weeks. Really worried that any colour treatment will be either a waste of time, make my hair drop out, or go some strange colour ... but I hate this badger look.. will just go for a chat first and book an appointment for a couple of weeks. AAAGGGHHHHH!

Guest user
Not applicable

The bloody hair fairy brought me grey and white on my head, fluffy wolfy on my face and anorexic eyebrows. Everywhere else sprouting like harvest festival. I had a friend who came home to find that her sister had put her wig on the worktop in front of a saucer of milk - she couldn't put it on her head again as it reminded her of Gordon the Gofer! Keep smiling ladies! X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi , love reading this post it makes me smile.
I was in the tufty club as well.
I have a wig it has been out of the box but not the house, my friends have tried it on and the OH who looked like a member of a Beatles tribute band!
I have had fec 4 and my hair is growing, sort of, brown and fluffy on top with a thick black streak down the back like a skunk.
Body hair going though, I think it is travelling through my veins with the yuck and coming out on my head!!
Eyebrows very thin, I look like I did in the 70's when my friend plucked my brows for the 1st time although I don't wear bright blue no 17 eyeshadow anymore.
I am expecting the hair fairy to bring me grey curly hair when she brings me my new locks, OH hoping for long and blonde , fat chance!!
Keep smiling girls
Fi XX

Guest user
Not applicable

I went for lunch today with Rhian (TNC thread), I spent ages doing my hair but realised halfway through lunch that I'd forgotten to do the back which looked like a badgers bum - aaaargh! Wish I could use the straighteners around the back of my head without burning my scalp lol!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies, I've spent a good few minutes reading this thread from the beginning and laughing out loud. I post a new thread about colouring new hair and was directed to your post for advice and warnings! I am at the spikey, poking through stage with a non-descript colour, impatiently waiting to see what happens next. I had a very thick brown, poker straight head of hair which I used to moan about all the time - depending on wht comes back, I will never complain again! Anyone tried colour mousse? I am only 6 weeks post chemo and 6 months seems a long way off. Bev x

applestreet

Hi ladies

Ninja, cool do!! I thought your other pic was the new you as it looked Ok.

Best wishes M

Ninja

I was in the Tufty Club, too!

AnnieK68

I've just had FEC3 - it's not gone, gone and I can "cope" with my white fluff at the front ...it's the dark stuff at the back that makes me feel like an old man with a comb over!!

Here's to styling our hair again ....one day!! Lol

lisha

Lol took the words from my mouth Annie. Was just thinking cant wait till i can add my piccy. My hair is starting to come back. Im in my last week of my last chemo. Im hopibg it makes its mind up what colour though as its a bit grey and a bit dark. Will be more like zebra watch xx

AnnieK68

I was a member too!!!

Can't wait to be again ... Roll on March ... April ....May!! (hope I'm not still saying it in Dec!)

lisha

My hubby does lol. He used to go to the tufty club x

angielav

Does anyone remember tufty?

Ninja

rofl!

DJ007

Tuft Watch - like Autumn Watch, but with fewer squirrels!

Ninja

New hair photie now uploaded.

Thank the gods that the hair is getting less "tufty". Even the chap over the road said it was tufty...

applestreet

Hi ladies

All your hair pics look fantastic!!! Many congrats to you all. I was dreading losing my hair and this thread has been my saviour for the past couple of weeks.

Just thought I would join in, I have spent 40 odd years forgetting that I used to have curly hair or pretending that I didn't. I hated it with a vengeance!!! Never needed a perm when they were in.

Had all my lovely straight bob cut off yesterday in advance of chemo starting on Monday, and guess what??? the dreaded curls are back only this time my nana is staring at me in the mirror!! Even tried straighteners this morning but there isn't enough to get hold of.

I'm not bothered if if comes out now!!

Guess who will be wearing her new wig, which is a bob, when it arrives and I can,t wait!!!! Roll on next week it should be here by then. M

DJ007

Loving the hair pics! Rock on everyone!
Hugs and hairy vibes.
Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

Okay. I've done it. The curls are out, lol.

sky2sea

This is my hair after a haircut today - yahay!. I got fed up with comments about my hair looking like my brain showing through and (fave one this) a cauliflower. My hairdresser seems to have made the deep pin wave style look more like slightly curly which is fine by me. If it stays curly I'm going to leave it au naturel grey at least for a while.

Another comment that drove me to the hairdressers was 'it looks like a curly version of a lego man's hair but you musy be pleased just to have hair' !! wtf!

hugs all x

Alto

Eltikks, mine is very curly but then it was curly before chemo, so nothing too surprising about that! My friend from church who is two months ahead of me had straight hair before and hers came back VERY curly, although it seems to be growing a bit straighter now.

It seems to often come back curly and coarse. Mine is just as curly as it was before but whereas before it was thick and quite wiry, now it's so fine and baby soft.

Jane xxx

cherub

Emmy, you have made me laugh at the thought of your bald male colleague with your hairpiece. Know what you mean about the Herceptin slowing things down, my hair seemed to take ages. I got so fed up in the end I just went out with it at the silver crew cut stage. I even went to a wedding reception like that.

emmy

Bless this is the stunner isn't it? I did a temp (supposed to last 24 shampoos) and blow me down it has stayed and is not the light blonde I went for!!! I cut the curls they were straggly and so grey! The odd thing is that the colour took so well it must have coloured the roots!! So here I am with a haircut very short, a brown colour which to be fair suits just, don't get it can only assume that the dye affected the roots so I look quite funky with short brownish hair .I had a work colleague asked why bother covering the grey easy for a man with no hair or no choice (he could borrow my hairpiece) So I am hoping it will start growing a little faster the Herceptin does slow it but not on our legs!! How dare it! Happy growing whatever colour you get given!! Love and hugs Em xxx

janipi

I wish I was brave enough to dye my white fluff. I want to turn up for work with purple hair but I'm a cowardy custard. Loving all the hair pics. I'm 7 months post chemo and what you see is it!! Wig worn about 3 times. Waste of money that was! After a lot of tears I'm used to being a baldy. Onc thinks tamoxifen hasn't helped my regrowth. When I need to go to the hairdressers again I'm definitely opening a bottle of bubbly. In the meantime I'll just enjoy watching you lot experimenting. x

Tolliebelle

Hi All

Still got my purple hair!! But went to hairdressers today and she is going to try to tone it down for me although if it wasnt for the still grey 3mm roots?????? have got used to it a bit more. Ninja yours looks great very sensible going straight to hairdressers!!!! (Note to self let the professionals do hair in future!!!)

applestreet

Hi

I'm going for a wig fitting on Friday, I hope there are some good ones, I don't want to end up looking like Hayley from corrie or horror of horrors...Dawn French!! Don't really fancy the scarf look, not only does it scream CANCER!!! I won't end up looking elegant like kylie more like one of those peasnat women you see on the travel programmes!! M

Homer

i fully understand your hair having a mind of its own!
great thread its made me chuckle,

mine started to grow back at the end of last october,
i gave it till april this year before having my hairdresser
put a semi dye on it, unfortunatly it was very semi & only lasted around 2weeks!!
i tryed again in june with a black/blue permanant again put on by my hairdresser...again it just washed out.

however its now lowlighted itself & its lighter brown with copper/red lowlights!
i saw a friend the other day who knows my hairdresser,she said oh helens made a lovely job of your hair colour!! i laughed and told her its natural
i used to be very dark brown near enough black,

i recently had my 2nd haircut in a vain attempt to get rid of the curls! its growing sideways too so needs thinning alot more!
thankfully my GHDs are doing a wonderful job!

Guest user
Not applicable

Am I the only one with curls, just at the back? Don't get me wrong, I do like them, but there are more every day, at the back...

Alto

Applestreet, I really like it too - I think I'm one of the very few that actually like their post chemo hair - I'd just like my scalp not to show through in quite so many places. It needs careful arranging with mousse every morning.

It had been waist length for years until the pre-chemo chop in January and if I'm honest I was looking for a reason to cut it, but this was probably rather more extreme than I'd planned... 😄

Jane xxx

amber32002

I had long straight thick hair that was blonde. Now I have 1 1/2 ins of curly fine mostly grey hair. Good job I have a sense of humour and some good wigs!!

Ann x

applestreet

Hi

I like your hair Alto it looks funky!! I am starting my chemo on Monday so I am hoping that by the summer I will have some of my own back!! M