My life has just turned upside down!!

Hello all, I am a busy 36 yr old working mother of 4- Havng been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal breast cancer last tuesday, I am booked in for a masectomy on 13th April. Since being told, I have tried to channel all my energy into keeping things as normal as possible for the sake of my daughters, but somedays are easier than others. Had a fad day saturday with family & friends - 1st BBQ of the season, but must admit that I found yesterday and today have been somewhat tearful. Im just so worried about all the things that lie ahead and all the things I have no control over. I would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation that has, like me, yet to start treatment, or those who have already started and can give me some insight of how they have coped. I wouldnt want anyone to think im a moaner… far from it!!!, I will fight this every step of the way - Just scared thats all x x x

Hi Eich,
I am 38 and mother of 1 daughter, I was dx on 15th March with grade 3 IDC so know exactly how you feel. I am doing things slightly differently to you though as I am having chemo before my mx. 1st chemo session was 23rd Mar and all being well next one is due 13th Apr so I will be thinking of you that day. I have tearful days too (most of them to be honest!) What is happening after the mx, have they discussed it with you yet?
Please let me know if I can help any further?
xxx

Hi Jo - Not sure whats happening afterwards to be honest, they have said that chemo/Rad & other treatments are possible, but that they will not know further until after the path results post op. My eldest has already asked if I am going to go bald!!! its the kids that keep you grounded in situations such as these. How r u holding up? x x

Welcome, Eich. We all know about the upside down feeling, having been there too.

There are lots of people who have had similar diagnoses to you and who will be able to help you along the way. And don’t worry about being considered a moaner, sometimes there are things about this disease that only another person who has it can understand, so you feel free to vent if you need to.

I’m sure others will be along soon to say hello.

CM
x

You are not a ‘Moaner’!

Sorry you are here and yes it does feel like your life turns upside down, in fact it actually does not just feel like it.

However, take heart - what you are facing is a mountain of unknown and that is the worst bit. You have gone from knowing where and what you are doing to not, and worse than that you feel you have no control or say in the matter.

THIS WILL GET BETTER. We have all been in your shoes and know the agony of waiting but once it starts you really will feel better. I have grade 2 invasive lobular and diagnosed in Novemebr. I asked to have chemo 1st and then the mastectomy and immediate reconstruction afterwards. I’ve just come back from my 5th of 6 chemos and IT IS do-able.

I won’t overload you with advice and words of wisdom - you will seek them as you need them, but right now know that however awful you feel right now it will lift.

Keep posting and take care.

Thanks everyone, it really does make you feel better to know there are others out there who really know what its like to be in this position so many thanks!! My surgeon has advised that I do not have immediate reconstruction due to the fact that, until I get the results back post op, they dont have all the facts to know what steps are next so to speak. I would have preferred immediate reconstruction, but am being lead by the doctors. I must admit that the thought of having to rely on a softie in order to appear normal to others is a little scary, as womens breasts are such a prominent part of you, to not have one all of a sudden is a daunting thought. Having said that, its a small price to pay if it means beating the BC that has taken upon squatting inside me… its not a welcome house guest and can buggar off!!! x

I was diagnosed on 21 march yes it does feel life has been turned upside down. I had a family bbq for mothers day. I never realised I could cry so many tears as I have done recently. I have just started sleeping all night. I have good days but the waiting for the scans and surgery is the hard part for me right now.

no matter how much bravado we try to portray we all get scared and you are not a moaner i dont think any of our lives will ever be the same but you have come to the right place to help you through this just sorry you had to join our gang but welcome x

Definitely not a moaner - there would be something wrong with you if you didn’t have moments of terror/worry/panic. Mine tend to come at nighttime when everything is quiet and my mind whirls. Must be so hard to deal with when you have children as well.
Say what you want on here, if theres something I’ve learnt by reading a lot of these posts, other people going through similar things understand more than people who haven’t gone through it. Cancer is scary, we do well not to totally fall apart really xx

hiya,i 2 have idc.dx 14 march.41 yrs young with 2 lil ones!the initial shock i know is huge and the waiting just unbearable!stay positive thru good and bad days.i had wle and snd 2day and feel relief that thats one leess step 2 go thru!my thougts r with u love and best wishes alex xx

hello Eich, i too am 36 ( well for a few more days) 2 kids, It makes me cry when i forget to ask daughter how her exam went when she gets home, as she is going through her gcses now… normally i’m super mum but thats gone out the window. Had my MX 3 weeks ago waiting for dates for chemo,had hair cut short ready and OH asked if he could shave off my eyebrows ready… guess the answer for yourself.!
Good luck with your path and stick with us all here x

Charlotte, don’t let him steal your eyebrows, even if you just have a couple of stray ones left, they are worth hanging onto. Alternatively, tell him you’ll sneak up on him at 3am one morning armed with waxing strips and will remove his to replace yours… I think he might give up on the idea!

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with stage 2 IDC & DCIS on 1st Feb, no lymph node involvement (had sentinel node biopsy & they took 7 nodes, all clear) I’m 38, work (or did - still off at the mo!) full time & have 1 child, a 3 year old daughter, had mastectomy to right boob on 7th March, opted not to have immediate reconstruction in case I needed radiotherapy but since my results have come back from pathology, I have been told that I don’t need Rads & may not need chemo - I am awaiting the result of a test & I should know by the end of next week if I’m having chemo or not - but at the mo it’s looking like NOT. I will have to have 3 years of Zoladex & 5 yrs worth of Tamoxifen tho. (my cancer is ER+ & PR+). So, bit annoyed about not having imm.re-con but hey, u just never know how things are gonna turn out!
I’m 4 weeks (to the day) post-op & i’m recovering well, my main priority has been to keep everything ‘normal’ for my little girl & thankfully, her routine has remained the same (cos my mum has moved in temporarily), my little girl has been great,; even tho she’s told her friends at nursery that mummy has a ‘baddy booby’ & ‘the doctor’s taken it away’ & that i now stay in bed all day!!! (NOT true, lol!!).

Hope all goes well with you, take care,
Chez. xx