My mouth feels like I need to scrape it clean1

8 REPLIES 8
Ali49

Re: My mouth feels like I need to scrape it clean1

I have mouth wash angd oral gel from my GP and it does really help x
Jay68
Community Champion

If it's any consolation ladies - I can confirm the taste buds do recover and a few weeks down the line after completing chemo you'll forget all about these nasty side effects.... honest!! 

Cathysid

Hi sandy bell,
I’ve just had my third tchp and my mouth feels pretty weird too!
I try to drink fizzy mineral water, I rinse my mouth twice a day with alcohol free aloe Vera mouth wash, others have said a mouthful of manuka honey daily can help.
I find my mouth very dry, foods taste weird, taste buds seem numb, and metal taste seems to hang round. Fruit tastes awful for me!
I think we just have to experiment and see which foods taste best and stick wit them.

If your mouth gets a white coating it may be oral thrush so have it checked especially if it’s sore as you may be prescribed antifungal mouth wash

Join us In the chemo monthly threads if you fancy a chat x

H jay was flicking through and found your query , I used to gargle with bicab in aired water several times a day and after food and I brushed my tongue when cleaning my teeth . I also sucked on frozen pineapple while drug being given I always had ice lollies handy 

sandybell

Hello Jay68, thank you for your reply. I will take a look at the May post. I started this treatment in August so I am more than half way through now. Its great to hear that you are all clear now and it worked for you.

xx

tatyana

Hi Sandybell, sorry you've got the dreaded yucky mouth thing, it does happen to quite a lot of us. I had 3x fec and 3x docetaxel, last one was a week ago, my mouth is still slimy but gradually improving. I think the docetaxel is really to blame for the mouth thing. Idon't think there's much you can do, except to try your best to eat and drink whatever you can -- it's very important to keep your fluid intake up. I find water tastes horrible, so I just pour myself a glass of tap water but then add a good slug of either slimline tonic or bitter lemon or San Pellegrino -- these are not things I'd normally drink, but somehow for me it makes the water taste a bit better.

What mouthwash are you using? What works best for me is, I just get a small plastic water bottle, fill it with water, and add about 1tsp salt and half a tsp bicarbonate of soda, shake it well, and use it to rinse your mouth as often as you want. It doesn't make the taste buds come back but it makes your mouth feel fresher and helps to keep the bugs at bay.

For food, as long as your stomach isn't too sensitive, you can try spicing it up a bit. Easiest way is to get a bottle of chilli oil which you can just sprinkle on your food (this works for me, because my other half doesn't like spicy food so I can make it quite bland, but then spice up my own!). Or use jars of curry sauce, thai curry, whatever you fancy. Somehow the "hot" spices make the food taste of something. Also ginger tea is good to drink.

Hope you feel better soon, at this stage you just have to hang on in there, but as Jay says, the treatment works, so it's worth it!

Jay68
Community Champion

Hello Sandybell - welcome to the forum - a place none of us really wish to be!

I'm from the May 2017 starters.  I started with EC in May had 3 lots changed to T plus H and P in June.  I can honestly say I found the mouth/tongue side effects were the worse thing for me going through chemo.  Basically, I decided to stick to soup/rice pudding/ice cream/yogurt for the bad days - another tip - fruit pastille lollypops.  If you pop on to the May 2017 page you'll be able to read back on lots of tips or ask the question there - we're a very friendly group of ladies and will provide any support you require.

A piece of news I'm pleased to share - that following surgery on 19 Sept - I received my pathology report which confirmed all was clear, the cancer had been destroyed by the chemo and targetted therapy - so although it's tough - it does work.

Good luck for the remainder of your treatment x

CatLady63

Hi Sandy

Welcome to the forum, sorry you find yourself here, but we are all going through similar treatments and will help if we can.

I'm also on docetaxel, Herceptin, pertuzumab, and yes my mouth is awful, doesn't seem to matter how often I brush my teeth or use mouthwash, the taste won't go away! It does seem like something is coating my whole mouth!

I find I am getting through a lot of sugar-free mints, and the only food that actually tastes of anything has to be spicy/garlicky stronger flavours.

Maybe someone else will have other ideas?

Hugs Helen xx

sandybell

My mouth feels like I need to scrape it clean1

Hi Ladies, I have never used a forum before, so here goes: I am on FECT, had 3 FEC and now have had my first T (dosetaxil) plus herceptin and pertusimab. I am strugling with my mouth and finiding it difficult to eat. Do any of you have any tips on how to make my mouth feel normal again and to be able to tast food properly please?