My mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi all my mum who is 63 has been diagnosed with breast cancer yesterday and I’m devastated, luckily it hasn’t spread to her lymph glands but she’s got to undergo chemo soon and possibly surgery, she’s also been though so much stress this last year that she’s had to have counselling so I’m that terrified that she won’t cope with the chemo at her age and that it will end up killing her and I can’t lose her as she is my best friend, I’m just numb at the moment and can’t believe this is happening to me, plus I’m the oldest of four siblings (45) and I have to be strong for them to as they keep coming to me in tears ,i am going with her and my step dad to chemotherapy as I think that he won’t cope seeing her in pain so I’ve got to be strong for her but inside I’m heartbroken ? ?

Hi Lisa

Welcome to the forum. So sorry to read about your Mum…but you will receive lots of advice and support here.

The hardest part is getting the diagnosis and wondering what’s going to happen next. Once the treatment plan is on place, it will get easier for your Mum and the family. Chemo is not as hard as you may think and with the help and support of the family, there is no reason why she can’t get through it. Of course you’re going to be upset and want to have a cry just like everyone else. Try to do whatever you can for your Mum and encourage the rest of the family to help too.

Please come and chat whenever you need to.

Best wishes

Sue xx

Hi lisa, my mother was also diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006, i didnt know about the breast cancer forum then, and i like you at the time was very upset and worried,  i sometimes feel its harder for the by stander than it is for the person having the treatment, my mother is very much fine and healthy now. The forum is an amazing place for support, i was diagnosed myself in may, im happy to say im through my treatment and life pretty much back to normal, but the forum helped me through so much of it, i wish your mum all the best with her treatment, and there are many ladies here for you both if you need a chat.

Hugs debbie x

I’m just terrified that with my mum being 63 that she won’t cope with it and it will end up killing her just from the stress alone, I know that it said that it hasnt spread to the lymph glands which is good but with her so stressed all the time that she is not mentally ready for this and with her age and everything that the chemo or stress can kill her, I’m terrified of losing her ?

Hi Lisa,
Wise words from Sue.
Honestly, the early days of diagnosis are the worst. It does get better when the treatment plan is confirmed & you know where you & your mum are going with it all.
We’ve all been there & we do get through it.
As Sue says, the team will tailor treatment to your mum & her needs & bc treatment has some of the best outcomes out there.
You are all in shock at the mo, but this does pass.
ann x

Hi lisa. I am sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis and i fully understand what you are feeling - my mum is my best friend too!

Your mum.will do this and i honestly feel it is harder for the people wstching us go through this treatment than it is for us doing it. Your mum will get through it with the l9ve and support given by you all.

There is a l9vely post called 14 ladies one year on. Have a read of that and see how life quickly moves on.

At the same time keep coming to the forum for support and seek any adfitional support you need yourself xxx