13 REPLIES 13
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: My story (so far)

Hope all is well x
Guest user
Not applicable

Have just read your thread. Am hoping you are ok and you received good news. Sending cyber hugs either way x
sara x

Good Luck. Being in the 'waiting room' is a hard place to be so hopefully you've had some feedback today and you've nothing to worry about
Melrose xx

Hope appointment goes well....waiting is so tough x
Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck hope everything turns out to be fine.

Good luck Surrymum - We'll all be thinking of you xx

Fingers crossed. Let us know how you get on. x
Guest user
Not applicable

Appointment is today, I've come into work but not really concentrating on anything.

Fingers crossed xxx

Hi Surreymum I am sure Ashford + St Peters will be good for you. Had my kids there and they were great! But you do have a choice and are entitled to get a second opinion so do keep an open mind. The waiting is pits and can be really worrying. Keeping busy and away from Google is absolutely the best thing to do! Do let us know how you get on with results and will possibly send you a PM if you are up for it. Fingers toes everything crossed for you for good news. Emx
Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you ladies, I've put a full ban on Google and am trying to keep myself busy in other ways!
@spookymoo I'm going to Ashford and St Peter's (Ashford site), tbh I haven't looked around at other options and took what I was given, but after Monday, depending on the results, I will certainly be on the lookout for the best place to go.
Once again, thank you for all your kind words and I will let you know how it goes on the 22nd.
x

Hi Surrey mum So sorry to hear about your lump. At least your GP is on the ball and has referred you quickly. (I had been aware of a lump for a while but my GP convinced me it was nothing to worry about as "too young to have breast cancer ". I am a bit older than you. - 43 - and it turns out it is cancer.) So although you are worried, at least you have been listened to by your GP. Waiting for tests and results is really stressful in itself. Have you been referred to the Jarvis Centre or Royal Surrey? I have been treated at the Royal Surrey since my diagnosis July last year and they have been really fantastic. I feel safe in their hands and they are amazing. Once you get your results, whatever they me be, you will have a clearer idea what's what. If you want to privately message me I'm happy for you to once you get your results. Good luck for the 22nd. Em x

Hi Surreymum
Sorry to hear your GP wasn't very reassuring, that's because they don't know! My GP was convinced I had an infection and sent me to the breast clinic as a precaution, 2 weeks later I had all the tests and unfortunately I did have BC so the GP was wrong but had me convinced I shouldn't worry! From my perspective that was the right thing for me as I went to work as normal, told my parents, brothers and sisters that I'd had the tests and no-one else knew anything as I carried on as normal - in fact being at work was the easiest time as there wasn't anyone asking me how I was! Please take care of yourself and get on with life - I still am even though I'm 3 weeks post mx and starting chemo tomorrow as I've got everything to live for and this is just a pause in my normally hectic life. Your family want to help but don't know what to do right now so tell them you want to ignore it until you know what you are dealing with - its easier that way if you can do that otherwise you'll worry yourself sick and hopefully it will be nothing once you have had the appointment on 22nd!
Good luck and let us know how it goes on 22nd, we'll all be thinking of you.
Kate
xx

Surreymum

First of all, PLEASE DO NOT GOOGLE!!! There's a lot of info out there that is frankly WRONG or at best misleading. Use this site and the Macmillan site for info. Secondly, I'm very sorry that you find yourself having to come here. It is a wonderful site, with loads of info and women in various stages of diagnosis who can help, support or just listen (read) to you.
You are in a very strange place at the moment as you don't yet know exactly what you are dealing with. It might be something, it might be nothing. I know it is almost impossible, but please try not to worry too much. To put things into perspective, I had a lump that felt VERY large (it turned out to be 3cm) and was moveable. This reassured me and my GP - we were both wrong!! Diagnosis was at the end of October and I didn't have surgery (I opted for a mastectomy) until the beginning of December. Tumours may be classed as aggressive, but they don't grow as quickly as we imagine them to. And we don't know yet if yours is cancerous. Hopefully it won't be, but if it is, you have come to the right place. Waiting for tests and results is the most horrible time of all. If you DO have cancer, it will be treatable, and when you have a treatment plan in place you will feel in control and more positive. When you have your appointment, if it is possible, take someone with you, ask lots of questions and try to jot down the answers.

Wishing you very good luck for the 22nd. Take care, come on here often and have a rant, wail, moan, and read about NON cancerous lumps too. Yours might be one of those.

Poemsgalore xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

My story (so far)

Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I waffle on.
I'm 30yrs old, mum of two girls and I found a (large) lump in my right breast on the 6th April. I got my husband to feel for it and he agreed it was there and that I should see the GP. On the 10th I called up my GP and spoke to the on call doctor who asked me to come in straight away, I got to the GP and thought he would say 'yes I can feel something but it is absolutely fine, go back to work and carry on as normal'. Well he didn't say that, in fact he didn't really say much at all except "yes there is something there and I will put you on the fast track referral system, the hospital will call you this afternoon with your appointment. Thanks for coming in, goodbye". As you can imagine, I walked out the GP feeling numb, all I wanted at that moment was my mum to give me a hug and say, you'll be fine, or it's nothing don't worry. Instead I was left with this awful feeling of, why didn't he say I would be ok?
By 4pm that afternoon I did get the call from the hospital to say my appointment is booked for the 22nd April, at that time 2 weeks seemed no time at all and I went to pick my kids up from afterschool club, started cooking dinner and waited for my husband to come home. He was late back so I put the girls to bed and sat at my computer and like most people I opened up Google. I hate Google. By the time I had finished reading pages of information and feeling my lump and deciding that yes it's hard, no I can't move it and it is definitely not smooth, I was in bits. I am a perfectly rational individual, I've read the list of things that I have in my favour: I'm young, no history, had kids early, breast fed, never on the pill for long periods of time etc etc. I just couldn't (can't) rationalise my brain enough to stop worrying about the 'what if'.
So here I am, one week in to what seems to be the longest two weeks of my life. I feel the lump every day, when I'm at work I keep busy, when I'm at home I cry, but the one thing that is making it all so much worse is that I have to keep telling everyone 'I'm fine'. Why does anyone know, you're thinking, well it's because I told my mum and my dad (they are divorced) and both of them seem to have told everyone in the family. I know it's because they care and they want me to have support, but I feel like I am the one supporting everyone at the moment. They call up and want to know how I'm doing and I spend a good 15mins giving them the spiel, I'm ok, sure it's nothing, there’s no history, just being overly cautious etc etc. I put down the phone and I am exhausted from just being so upbeat.
I mean, I am probably fine and all this worry is probably all for nothing but is it wrong of me to actually think about how I am going to cope if it isn’t good news? Am I being a hypochondriac for even posting a message on this forum?? There are so many thoughts flying around my head and I still have a week to wait and even then I don’t think you get results, so I guess what this whole process is teaching me is that, whilst yes I can be a full time, working mum of two who used rushes around getting everything done, for once in my life, I kind of just need to sit down, be patient and be happy that right now, as far as I know, I do not have cancer. Whatever this thing is, it’s changing my life, I just hope it is for the better.