74.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Myelopathy(Compression of the Spine) & Secondary Breast Cancer of the bone - Treatment Advise

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Myelopathy(Compression of the Spine) & Secondary Breast Cancer of the bone - Treatment Advis

Hi JuicyLucy

I have been in a similar situation to you, although not the same area.

In 2011 my L5 vetebra collapsed due to SBC. I had radiotherapy which helped considerably and in time my spine stabalised and I could walk again painfree.

A little over a year ago my situation deteriorated and within days my lower back and legs were agony.

MRI showed no compression and my Onc arranged for further radiotherapy to L5.

It did not help this time at all, both of my legs were very painful, I took to wearing leggings day and night as my nerves were so irritated and I couldn't bear the feel of bed sheets or jeans for example. I spent the next 3 months either in bed, lying on the sofa or in hospital, trying to get relief for the pain.

Oxycontin and Amitriptyline helped.

I was referred to orthopedic cancer surgeon and had steroid injections to spine, which was painful and no help. In April I had a bilateral micro decompression to L5, which sorted me out. I woke from surgery pain free and my lower back and legs have been fine ever since.

Looking back I can see that my Doctors tried all of the 'easy' options first, and that maybe is best for you too as surgery is not without risks, however in my case it worked brilliantly and all I have to show for those 3 months of terrible nerve pain is a vertical 5cm scar along my lower spine.

Good Luck with your treatment

Julie x

Re: Myelopathy(Compression of the Spine) & Secondary Breast Cancer of the bone - Treatment Advis

Hi Juicylucy,

Thank you very much for sharing your story and I am sure users will be along to show their support and share their experiences soon. I have moved your post to our Living with SBC board in order to give users more of a chance to see it and respond.

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday - Friday, 9am-7pm

Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm

Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes,

Bonita

Myelopathy(Compression of the Spine) & Secondary Breast Cancer of the bone - Treatment Advise

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has Myelopathy (Compression of the Spine) as well as Secondary Breast Cancer and if they've been operated on to help with the pain etc.

I have Myelopathy at C4/C5/C6 & Secondary Breast Cancer in T3/T4 & have an appointment with the Spinal Surgeon at the end of Feb, hopefully he'll be able to operate to alleviate my pain and pins and needles in my left side.

I am able to walk at the moment and only issue I'm having currently is pain and pins and needles, so I'm aware things could be a hell of a lot worse, but I've been reading up that if not operated on Myelopathy can cause paralasys and I could lose function of my bowels/bladder etc.

Can anyone help or is anyone else in same situation ?