NHS or Private

Hi

I found a lump last week and my GP has referred me via the fast track programme. I have to wait for an appt now but not sure how I am going to get through the next two weeks. I have private medical and when I asked my GP she said not to bother, however I am wondering if this route may be quicker and ease my anxiety, what do people suggest

Hi ajb,

For most of, there isn’t really any difference in timescales or treatment. There are those who have gone privately who could advise, however this tends to be after diagnosis by the NHS. 

There is no easy way to get through the waiting period, but what does help, although easier said than done, is to carry on as normal, distract yourself & avoid general googling of your symptoms as this only creates unnecessary anxiety. 

Mostly, it is _not _bc & thankfully it will be properly checked out. 

Do come & chat on here whenever you want to. We’ve all been there!

ann x

Hi Ajb

All my diagnostics were NHS and the waiting time was not long or difficult, but when I knew I needed surgery I used my health insurance, which only saved 10 days between diagnosis and op, (waited 12 days instead of 22 days )but it was December and I was afraid of a cancellation due to winter bed shortages etc, so wanted the guarantee that it would take place. Sugeon was the same as I would have had on NHS.My policy covers me for 10 years monitoring provided the surgery was paid for by them, so glad i used it, as it may be easier to get ultrasound, MRI or whatever during those 10 years if required. You also keep the same oncologist for continuity rather than whoever might be available. I believe the NHS care is outstanding and there is no way I would have paid for myself to go private, but if you have insurance then I’d be inclined to use it once you know the outcome of the diagnostics, (If you need it - you may not of course!!!)  that’s what it is for. Many lumps are NOT cancer. I doubt you’d get seen any earlier than 2 weeks if private anyway. Good luck. xxxx