NHS wigs

Hi all
Just a quick question - are you entitled to 2 wigs on NHS? I have one but have read somewhere that you are actually entitled to 2, one to wear whilst the other is ‘in the wash’. Can anyone clarify this as it was not mentioned when I went for fitting for this one.

Thanks

Sam xx

I went to choose my wig today at the hospital. I chose 2 to look at, they should arrive in 2 weeks, but I then have to choose the one I want to keep. I was told I am only entitled to one free one

H x

Hi

I’m in newcastle and we get one free. Seems slightly variable around the NHS. Think it’s if you are in-patient you have a different entitlement to if you are out-patient. Chemo unit can count as either, depending how they are set up. I have to have drugs to take home from the chemo unit (given free) but for my clot have drugs from haematologist (have to pay). Yet see both in the same visit to hospital! It was the chemo unit that arranged my wig so free.

hi
I was told by my chemo nurse that I would be entitles to a new one every 6 months on the NHS.
Hope this helps

hi
i was told by wig fitter that NHS Trusts vary and that here in stockton on tees i can ask for another wig in three months or so but she deals with other trusts that only allow one wig free.

Hi

I have been given two wigs on the NHS so far. I live in the Glasgow area and was given my first wig before chemo started and was offered another just before the chemo finished.

Angela

Hi

I was advised that I could have 2 wigs per year but I had to pay just under £60 for the perscription and then could go and choose my wig. My 1st one cost £120 so I ‘saved half’. I have just applied for another perscription for 2nd wig and will have to send another near £60 and then go and choose one. Its not cheap being ill!!!.

take care all
Chris x

Hi,
I have had 2 free wigs and I am in Blyth Northumberland, my treatment was given at Wansbeck hospital.

I think it’s all down to catchments and your health authority, I asked if I could have a second one as my first one was short and getting too cold for the winter.

I am sorry for you as I think if you loose your hair due to treatment you need 2 as you need to wash them occasionally, ask your advisor if this is the case. Are you on a trial? as I think comes into it also.

Love to you all.

Carol