cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nail damage after taxotere

9 REPLIES 9
supertrouper

Re: Nail damage after taxotere

I finished TAX at the end of November - I lost all my finger nails and some toe nails. All through my treatments I massaged bio oil into the nail bed. New nails grew back but had horizontal ridges, 8 in total, one for each chemo treatment. They have now grown out and I am pleased to say that my nails are as good as they were before chemo.

Nonny

Hi Ladies, I finished TAC chemo in June 2008 and my nails still have not recovered. They grow nicely for about 2 or 3 months then start to split and flake. My thumb nails are still ridged although not as badly as when I was having chemo. I've tried most things including numerous Sally Hansen products which all cost the earth! My hair has never recovered either it is very sparse, especially at the back and I have to keep it about 1 inch long. Whenever I queried any of this with my Oncologist he says the treatment was harsh but necessary and it has saved my life! No help there then. I should feel grateful but having lost both boobs, got lymphodema in my arm, permanently painful ribs and diverticular disease I am well and truly fed up to still be virtually bald and have naff nails. There, I've had my little rant.
Good luck everyone
Jennie

Guest user
Not applicable

My nails have never been good but have started taking Asda Skin Hair and Nails supplement daily. It takes a while to work but i have certainly noticed a difference.
Lilac51

Just to add another gloomy note. My last chemo was 31st May and I thought my nails might start getting better soon but this afternoon one of my toe nails detached itself completely. All my toenails are discoloured, my fingernails are a bit yellowish and ridged so I really hope they don't get any worse.

Carabel

oh dear. This is depressing. My last chemo was 5th July and my nails are disgusting. I have lost my thumbnail and the rest are yellow and brittle. I had hoped things would improve in a couple of months but by the sounds of it I have been a bit too optimistic 😞

katieb

Hi - I finished chemo end of November 2011 and my fingernails and toenails were rubbish. I use an OPI nail oil (Avorflex I think) and OPI Nail Envy and they are now looking good. Also had gel nails put on a few weeks ago which I was a bit dubious about but they were fine. Having them done again tonight - a bit of pampering!

Stella x

SamLee

applestreet
I finished chemo in March last year and it is only the last couple of months that they have started to look better, so you have a way to go. I also used the Sally Hansen product - there is one called triple strength that you can get on Amazon which is good, but the main thing that makes them a bit stronger is just layers and layers, either clear or coloured polish.
I haven't come up with anything better yet.
Sam

applestreet

Hi
not a lot to look forward to then!!!! 2 months since my last treatment and my nails are ruined. There is a product from I think it;s Sally Hansen...can I put product names on here?...can't remember what it's called but it's to help your nails grow... it's about £4 a little bottle but I'm going to give it a go, my nails are really thin and flaky at the moment, forgot to say I saw the product in Asda and Tesco. M

SamLee

Can't really help that much. I finished chemo 18 months ago and my nails are still not great. They are not quite as ridged as they were before but they are really soft.
I make sure now I always have them painted and use basecoat and topcoat for week, brittle nails and this together with keeping them quite short seems to work.
They never look good enough now to go without nail polish of some sort.
Consolation is that most people seem to think my nails look well groomed and quite often comment on it. So the polish obviously adds something.
Sam

scone

Nail damage after taxotere

Hello Ladies
Almost 2 years since my chemo finished and am still suffering with my nails. For about 2 months my nails will grow strong long and perfect then for about 6 weeks as they are now, they are breaking, layered and break so easily they are so short they are painful. To look at my nails now you'd think I bite them.
I know this is trivial regarding everything else we've gone through but can anyone let me know how long this lasts for?
thanks
Jude