Nails are lifting off !

Hiya all - i have finished chemo and my last taxotere was 1 Feb - after that I had a lot of issues but ended with a couple of doses of CMF 3.5 weeks ago was the last one.

my nails are lifting from the nail bed quite dramatically and this week they have “retreated” lots - does anyone know what happens when they get right down - do they lift off or will it stop - finding life very difficult re buttons and jars and ordinary things that you use your fingers for,

any advice at all would be great - R

Hi RECS
Some do experience mails lifting off. Mine just got sore and I cut them really short, but yes it is very debilatating. My nails have grown back, I had 3 ridges on them, one for each taxotere. Toe nails too much longer to grow out.
I still have limited/no feeling in my fingertips; buttons or sewing are still difficult, but better than immediately after treatment (finished chemo Oct 08)
Hope your nails grow back soon
Kinden
x

I guess its probably too late but I found out from this site that putting dark nail varnish on throughout Taxotere stops your nails coming off because your nails become sensitive to sunlight. I wore purple nail varnish when I did 6 cycles of Tax and had no problem at all with my nails (apart from going a bit yellowish).

Linda

I’ll cut them real short - I only had 2 doses of Taxotere then started reacting to it (badly) and the last one was over 8 weeks ago ! my nails have only just started to do this - just shows how strong this stuff is - good thing really don’t want to do chemo again :slight_smile:

If anyone is about to start Tax, this advice might be useful. I dip my fingertips in ice water all the way through the Tax infusion, plus the 30 mins before and after, just like with the cold cap for hair. I haven’t varnished my nails, but so far (2 rounds down) they are fine - no changes at all.

wish I had thought of it - I am 8 weeks post tax and this has just started now - can’t think that painting them to keep the light off makes any difference cause my toe nails are the same and they never see the light of day being incased in thermal socks day and night cause I am soooo cold !

I’ll ask the GP if they get all infected or anything - keep smiling girls it’s only a nail :slight_smile: or twenty … !

RECS

I’m the same as you. Finished tax beginning of last month and my fingernails are lifting. I have them painted but mainly so I dont see whats happening!

Julia xx

Another one here who is losing her nails 8 wks post last Tax. I painted my nails in grotesque shades of blue and green aswell! Really don’t think it makes any difference - you are either lucky or unlucky :-/ For the FEC part of the treatment I had the most amazing strong and long nails - 1st time ever in my life, oh well…

Oh well - maybe I am being too optimistic that my fiendish plan worked - will just have to wait and see. Does seem odd that it happens so long afterwards.

Hi girls,

same thing has happend to me, had a tip from my sister in law who is a Perdietrist ( is that how you spell it ?) Vic’s vapour rub on a clean nail will keep them free from infection under the nail. When the chemo has stopped they will grow back attached to the bed from the point it stopped. Just keep them short so you dont catch them and pull them off.

V :slight_smile:

Hi Recs

All of mine came off & I didn’t even know they might (see the thread called Fingers & Toes). But they leave little tiny nails underneath, they don’t nearly reach the fingertips, but at least the whole finger’s not exposed. I found as long as I didn’t try to take them off they would fall off without me feeling anything & I would just notice another 1 had gone when I looked. There were a couple that caught in things beforehand though. It’s horrible isn’t it, & so inconvenient - can’t open a bin bag, can’t get money out of purse in shop etc.

Hi all

After finishing tax I lost all my nails with little brittle ones left underneath. It drove me mad as they kept splitting and couldn’t do buttons etc. I put on a post which you can search for ‘any advice for my poor nails’ and got some great advice which worked! Best one for me was kelp extract and my nails are now better than they ever have been.

Light at the end of the tunnel. Happy growing.

Love Anne xx

Hi Anne

Found your thread, that’s really interesting, I had heard Kelp recommended for hair years ago, but had forgotten. I’m going to get some & kill 2 birds with 1 stone hopefully.

Hi Diwy1

Certainly worked for me within weeks - I’m sure it helped my hair grow as well particularly my eyelashes and eyebrows.

Good luck,

Anne xx

I don’t know if anyone here has read the Jane Plant book on the links between bc and dairy - she also recommends kelp, particularly icelandic kelp, which I haven’t managed to track down yet, just the regular stuff.