Nails separating at top...any suggestions

Hello-
I finished my chemo dec2011 and herceptin aug 2012. Things have started to get back to normal…But my finger nails are still a problem! They grow out fine but they are separating at the top. There is also a ‘layer’ under the finger nail that is thin and white but then it gets hard… You can see this underlayer at the tips where the separation occurs. The nails themselves are also much weaker than before undergoing treatment. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this?

Supavee
i don’t have exactly the same problems as you but I finished my Taxotere in August 2011 and lost 5 finger nails and the other 5 went thick, hard and yellowy/white half way down.
I finished my Herceptin in June 2012.
My finger nails now, especially my thumbs and index fingers just don’t seem to grow at all, before they split inw every direction! Mostly vertically. Ouch! So I end up keeping them really short, which I hate, because before BC I had really nice nails.
i have always used Nailtiques on my nails, and still do. I’m currently using formula 2plus, on my manicurists advice, which is a nail protein. Apart from using this and lavishing hand cream on, I’m afraid I can’t offer any more help! But I’d welcome any top tips from people!
Mandy x

After posting my question i found a recomendation to soak fingenails in peroxide weekly for 10 mins (to keep infection at bay)
Also to apply coconut oil on and under nailbed nightly.
I have done this for a week and already see a difference!!!

My BC nurse recommended wearing Dark Nail polish - I got a Dark Red - as the treatment makes your nails light sensitive, I also got mine gelled, and I’ve still got them hale & healthy! :slight_smile: