1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nearly 4 years from diagnosis and struggling with working

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Nearly 4 years from diagnosis and struggling with working

I am two years out if treatment. No I could not go back to work. During chemo I developed neuropathy. Yes I have aches and pains, I don't know where they came from. I have osteoporosis in one hip that hurts all the time and sometimes so tired I can't lift a finger before chemo I was very active .

Hi ladies,

I am now almost exactly two years after dx. Stopped tamoxifen due to side effects, back on HRT because of the awful hourly 24/7 (yes really) flushes and sweats. Back to work fairly quickly but now only able for 10 hours a week plus a couple of afternoons with grandson after school. Sometimes feel grand but more frequently now exhausted by Thursday/Friday. Today shopping am and house cleaning after lunch - had to go to bed as sooooooo tired. Really wasn't expecting this. So, you are not alone; just try to pace yourself as best you can, rest when your body tells you to and enjoy it when you are able to do things.

Good thoughts to you all.

Pog

Thanks for posting. I admire you for making a career change. I suppose I need some advice about pensions etc. I wondered if I could take early retirement or something. I'm a bit young though at 53.

Hi nanjan

Sorry to hear about your situation.  I identify with much that you have said.  I am 5+ years post-diagnosis and have never returned to work full-time since.  I have ended up changing career completely.  Although not a teacher, I worked at a college for young people with disabilities in a job that was physically and emotionally demanding.  I cut down to part-time hours but got exhausted.  I've moved to a more local job in a completely different environment which is much less demanding.

I know people who have been unable to continue working after trying their best after treatment for breast cancer.   

When you ask about "support" - what sort of support are you seeking? Emotional? Financial?   

Nearly 4 years from diagnosis and struggling with working

Hi lovely people. I am a teacher and have only been able to manage to go back part time since the end of my treatment. My job has just changed a bit and I am now working with older children. I am having doubts whether I can actually manage to do my job properly even part time! I am exhausted, hot and bothered, have memory lapses and generally feel rubbish. I have permanent hair loss since chemo so wear a wig. I have struggled from time to time with different health issues from taking tamoxifen, but have soldiered on. Today I don't feel like soldiering on any longer but feel I have no choice. Are there any out there who could not work after treatment? Is there any support for people like me?