73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a comfy bra after reconstruction,help please!!

16 REPLIES 16
wendy52

Re: Need a comfy bra after reconstruction,help please!!

Hi, Having had reconstruction left with the recon smaller than the real boob. Genie bras have been a Godsend to me. They have no fastenings, conform to whatever cup size needed, with pockets in both cups with removable foam pads. They come as a set of 3 so 6 pads. I put 2 pads in one side to help balance up, I have worn these 24/7 as I have had a problem with the new boob and had unhealed wounds. These bras are brill, they stretched around the dressings when needed and now support both boobs. I don't have a gappy cup to fill as I would if I had a normal bra. These are truly the most comfortable support my boobs have ever had. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

What got me about RT was how they plastered you with those horrible black markers then said to try not to wash the marks off - how the h*ll were you supposed to wash yourself and put on cream without doing that? I wore layers of baggy old tops and no bra at all during my RT. Luckily it was winter.:)

Guest user
Not applicable

I know I probably should still wear my surgical vest thingy but it's just soooo uncomfortable I can't bear it.Got an appointment with PS this week so will see if I get told off:)
Thanks Julie will look out for those in Asda.I had rads after chemo in 2010 so I know what you mean about the ink ruining bra's.I had a couple ruined that way.
Tracy
x

juliebtaurus

Hi i got a two pack of really soft unpadded cotton bras from asda they are only £4 for two and are cheap enough to wear for rads when tthey get ruined with indelable ink still wear them for everyday

gill13

thanks Tracy

i thought i was having a senior moment or chemo brain! lol i was wear a proper post surgery bra in the day time, but by the evening they usually feel uncomfortable so its a quick change

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks Gill,may try those too.Funny how the best seem to be the cheaper ones:)
Yes I thought you had posted before too.Don't know where that's gone.
Tracy
x

gill13

Peacocks have some cheap and comfy bras, also no fastening, 2 pack black and a white £6. Not great support but comfy for relaxing in

(i thought i'd posted this on this thread before?? but it seems to have disappeared?)

Gill x

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for all your replies.
I found the Sloggi ones better than the ones I had tried before but at the weekend I found the most comfy so far from Primark.They have a 2 pack (black & white) and are only £4!!They are a sort of crop top bit like sloggi ones but a bit longer and just sit a bit lower than the ports.
If anyone is about to go through tissue expander op I highly recommend trying these.
Tracy
x

Annie22

Sloggi ones with no fastenings. You can step into them or pull them over head if you can get your arms up. Also, don't forget about vests with built in cups - v comfy for night.

Annie22

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi - a friend sent an article to me recently about a lingerie shop in her local area. The owner has designed a bra specifically for ladies post-surgery. Not sure if it's any use to you. The shop is called Dessous Chic, Cirencester, Glos, 01285 644777. They might be worth a call as they may do mail order.

By the way, in case you didn't know, VAT is not applicable to all mastectomy bras for personal use by people who have had breast surgery for medical reasons.

Hope this is useful and I wish you luck with finding something that is comfortable.

Mazzalou

I also bought some of the M & S bras and didn't pay delivery and they are VAT free. I did find the straps a bit too short, and prefer the ones that I bought from Matalan. They do quite a good range of post-surgery bras, nice and soft and very reasonably priced.

My surgeon also said to wear support 24/7 for at least 6 weeks post op to give the implant time to bond internally so best check with your BCN on this one.

Happy shopping!

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your replies,I will certainly be trying out some of your suggestions.
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya I have had LD flap ops on both sides and was told to wear bras 24/7
I found some great post op bras at M&S. They are soft cotton, can be worn with or without prothesis and they are pretty.
I think they do them online as well as in stores

DJ007

Hi

I had an LD flap + implant with port recon and my PS supplied a bra that he told me to wear 24/7 for at least 6 weeks! Guess every surgeon has their own opinions!

Anyway, the bra supplied was a Triumph Triaction sports bra. So good and so comfy that I bought more and am still wearing them on a day to day basis.

They are supportive, without squishing you down too much, and still allow a bit of cleavage to be shown if desired. Really wide band for under the bust, so not too much pressure on any one area.

HTH
Dx

Guest user
Not applicable

It might be that you have been told to wear a bra - in which case ignore this! But I had one LD reconstruction and one straignt mastectomy and my surgeon said not to wear a bra initially because it could damage the implant port - under the bra band like yours I think. Anyway - have discovered that my reconstruction is self supporting and no bra is needed most of the time - very liberating!

I just wear a bra for a short time when I want to wear my prosthesis e.g. on a night out. I'm still a bit swollen down my side and chemo isn't helping that so I do feel better not wearing a bra.

When I have my port out I'm sure things will have settled down a bit more and I'll wear a bra more often.

Its just I hadn't realised how comfortable I would be bra less - I couldn't have done this with my old boobs!

Mazzalou

My BCN suggested Sloggi crop-tops post-op and to wear in bed too as I had my mx with implants last April. They are very soft and cotton, come in black and white, and cost about £10, but they do tend to come up small so you will need to buy a good couple of sizes larger than you normally would. They have no fastenings either and you just pull them on over your head. You don't need to worry about cup sizes either and they wash well and dry quickly which is a boon at this time of the year.

They are also good to wear if you have to have radiotherapy too, as they don't rub your skin.

Mazzalou x

Guest user
Not applicable

Need a comfy bra after reconstruction,help please!!

Hi everyone
A week ago I had my reconstruction.Delayed on one side and prophylactic mastectomy/recon on the other side using Beckers implants.I am in a lot of discomfort from not being able to find a comfy bra.The 2 ports have been placed at the top of my ribs just where the bottom band of a bra sits and it's just so uncomfortable.Has anyone else experienced this and got any suggestions of some comfy bra's.
Thankyou
Tracy
x
sorry this has somehow been posted in the wring section but I have no idea how to move it to Reconstructive surgery.