Need help! Feeling down! Capecitabine? Taxol? Or clinical trial taxol plus azd5363 (beech study)?

Hi I am 36 years old living in Manchester. I live with my partner of 7yrs and 4 year old daughter. I was diagnosed in 0ctober 2010 with a 4.5cm, hormone receptor positive, and spread to lymph nodes. Had mastectomy, 6 rounds of chemo and 15 radiotherapy sessions. In July 2012 started getting a really bad back following riding horses, November 2012, diagnosed with lesions on sternum and l5. Had radiotherapy then put on hormone treatment and bisphosphonate (zoladex and letrozole), February 2013 was told there were also small lesions on liver. I have 3 monthly scans and all was ok until June 2014 when told that I had progression in liver. Changed letrozole to faslodex but 3 months on oncologist telling me that the lesion in liver has grown from 1cm to 2.5cm with other smaller areas and potential small nodules on lungs which are likely to be the disease. No biopsy yet on liver, just the bones. September 2014 now been given 3 treatment options (chemo) - capecitabine or taxol or a clinical trial which is taxol and azd5363. My head is up my bum as I need advice and feel like it’s the end for me :frowning: My family need me xxxxx. The worst thing is I feel ok bar the pain, oncologists just keep giving me bad news :frowning:

Hi Kate2010

It sounds like you’re having a pretty tough time at the moment.  I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer your their experiences and knowledge.  In the meantime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practial information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open today 10 to 2pm and weekdays 9 to 5pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator   

Hi Kate, welcome to the group and I hope you find lots of support here. Re your chemo options, I’m no expert but you should be given more information before being asked to make a decision, especially the clinical trial. If you put azd5363 into google, CRUK has details of the trial which might help. You can ask for a second opinion at somewhere like the Marsden as well. What does your Onc recommend? I think that if a trial is in phase 1 it is quite new, but ask about how tried and tested it is and what result they have had so far. Hope this helps a little xx

“what comes after capecitabine”?  Well… for me, cape was my chemo wonder-drug  (I also had letrozole as my first treatment after bc/bone mets dx, worked for almost 3 years).  Sadly Taxol (paclitaxel) didn’t work for me. 

Cape kept me stable for 2 years, then I asked oncs if I could have a break because of hand/foot SEs. I had eribulin last year (IV chemo, 7 cycles, I was one of the unlucky ones who lost my hair)  then other hormonals and now I’m back on cape again, significant improvement in liver function blood results (I have liver mets too) so the cape is working again!

Hi kate. I am also new here after a 10 year gap from my oruginal bc. I am only on letrozole and denosumab injections plus pain relief but 10 yrs ago i was offered a clinical chemo trial. I didnt know wot to do but was advised to ask onc wot he wud say if their daughter or wife was in this position. My onc immediately said advice wud be to do trial which i did. Its so hard to make these decisions when your head is all over the place. Good luck with everything.
Carol x

Dear KATE2010.
I am now facing similar decisions to you faced last year? Please read my posts and let me know how you are doing.
Thinking about you.
Debra. xx