Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help facing results please

40 REPLIES 40
missmore

Re: Need help facing results please

Hi wendi! 

Bloody fantastic news, so happy for you!  I wish my oncologist had made a decision for me like that, I am 2% ish but she left the decision of chemo or not all up to me! 

You should come over to the thread in surgery called "surgery/results over -

little more light hearted as we all know what treatments we are going to have,  and although it is still a scary and anxious time for everyone, it's a great place to have a laugh or a moan and generally let of steam

what I have found, and a lot of people agree, is that sometimes friends, family and colleagues seem to have the impression that once surgery is done etc you should be feeling positive and cheerful.  Personally the surgery part was the easy bit,  it's my head that's a mess now and the thought of taking drugs with ridiculous side effects for the next 10 years is sometimes too much to bear and wondering ...

anyway enough! 

Once again delighted wendi

sheena xx

Jobey68

Great news Wendi!! Im delighted for you 😊
Wendi

Hi Sheena
Sorry for the delay in replying but I wanted to have some definite news. I had the bone scan last Wednesday and the radiologist was very good and arranged for me to have a CT scan the same afternoon. It meant waiting around for hours in the hospital but it was worth it as I had an appointment with the oncologist Friday so it was better for her to have the results before she saw me.
Both scans were clear😄thank goodness and she does not recommend chemotherapy because it would only benefit me by 2% and involve side effects so I am going to have radiotherapy in 3 to 4 weeks followed by Letrozole for 10 years.All round a good result and I am happy now that I know something definite after so much waiting. The waiting is the worse thing of all.
Glad to have some good news at last. I hope things are going well for you also.
Love Wendy xxxx
missmore

Hi Wendy
enjoy the walk, I'm just back from an 8 mile trudge through the rain! Glass of wine required later on! Good luck on Wednesday, I've got rads planning on Tuesday
sheena xx
Wendi

Hi Sheena
Thank you for your reply. The latest news is that I am having the bone scan on Wednesday 22nd so not too long to wait for that.I have not heard about the CT scan yet but it should not be long. It is taking a while because they have to have the results of these tests before I can see the oncologist. The weeks are mounting up though and it does seem a long time.I suppose it is taking longer because my cancer is not behaving as a typical grade 1 scale 1 cancer and they have to do additional tests.
I am feeling very well and have hardly any after effects of the node removal. I hope I will be able to return to my Pilates ,Yoga and local gym soon as I am missing my exercise. I think I will give Zumba a miss for a while as that is a bit more hectic. I am seeing my cancer nurse Wednesday so I will ask her. All I can do at the moment is go for walks and that is OK but I miss my friends in my classes.
Today looks like nice weather so I will go for a walk with my husband and tomorrow, Monday, we will go and see our grandchildren for the day so that will be great.
Hope you are well and happy Love. Wendy xxxx
missmore

Hi wendi

well I'm delighted to hear that pesky drain is gone, should help you get some more sleep. 

So another wait for you, I can't believe how long it takes where you are!  I think it's a really stressful time and are they keeping to the NICE guidelines.  Maybe one of the nurses here may be able to help.

hopefully you can have a smashing weekend tho, free of the drain

love and hugs

sheena xxx

Wendi

Hi Sheena
Sorry for the delay in answering but I have been waiting for the results of my pathology report.I now have 4/10 positive nodes so I have to have a CT scan and a bone scan in the next week or two.I then have to see the oncologist in three weeks time to get the results and see if I need chemotherapy or not.So another long wait ahead. It is not all bad news though - I had the drain out last Friday so I am much happier now. At least I can have a shower! We are able to go and see the grandchildren once more so every Monday is spent in Bristol playing with them😀
let me know how you are getting on with your treatment options. Hope to hear from you soon . Wendy xxxx

missmore

Hi Wendy

how are you doing,  have you got rid of the drain yet? X

missmore

Hi Wendy

hopefully you can get rid of that pesky drain soon, what a nuisance for you xx

sheena x

Wendi

Hi Sheena
Thankyou for your concern. I will not think too much about what I will do at present because there is another week to go before the pathology results. Who knows the remaining nodes may be clear? If chemo does prove necessary I will bear your words in mind and think carefully about it and do some research. At the moment I still have the drain in after node removal which is a bit of a nuisance and am just looking forward to having that removed. No sign as yet! Am still restricted in what I can do so I am not planning a wild weekend , though I am planning to go to a local cancer support group Monday evening for the first time. I will make some new friends I expect. Will let you know what happens next week
Love and best wishes Wendy
missmore

Hi wendi

thank you my lovely x

I wish I had dug deeper into everything so I was more prepared for my little chemo surprise,  you listen to what your surgeon and bcn says and expect they are right but please be aware that there are twists and turns along the way

don't want to alarm you, just an gentle warning x

hopefully you've got a nice weekend planned? 

remember that we are all here to help each other whatever crops up and it's good to share with folks here

sheena xxxx

Wendi

Hi Sheena
Just sympathising with your dilemma. I am hopeful I will not have to have chemo. I will know July 14th so quite a long time to wait. That is the worst part isn't it? The worry and the waiting.
Thinking about you Love and best wishes. Wendy xxxx
missmore

Good evening lovely ladies

just dropping by to say hi and hopefully you are all getting along this bumpy, scary road

certainly highs and lows all round

I've been on another couple of threads with my big dilemma,  decisions to make on Tuesday as to whether or not to have chemo although it was not part of the original plan,  talk about mince for brains

keep posting,  keep supporting

sheena x

Jobey68

Hi Wendy, great to hear you have had your op and feeling good 😊 things are not as bad as you imagine them to be I have found, it's the fear of the unknown which is the worst bit! Sounds like you have been out and about having a good time, I'm really well thank you and looking forward to going on holiday tomorrow, we are off for a week of R&R in Menorca, can't wait! Xx Jo
Wendi

Hi Jo
You are the first person I contacted on this forum and you have been really kind to me so I thought I would update you tThe node removal was fine better than a lumpectomy and 5 days later I am just about back to normal - apart from the delightful addition of a drain which I am hoping will come out by the weekend so that we can visit the grandchildren next Monday. If not there is always the Monday after. Yesterday I went out with friends to W.I. In the afternoon and with other friends in the evening to see a live stream performance of the opera Carmen in a local cinema. I really enjoyed my first experience of opera . knew nothing about it before . Friday my husband and I are meeting the organiser of a local cancer support group for coffee. I will take any help I can at the moment. Hope you are well . Love. Wendy xxxxz
SARN66

Hi Wendi,

I have sent you a message, should see in Messages on top right hand corner of screen, so we can keep in touch because, as you say,  we are going through similar treatments and would be good to keep in touch.

Hope you have managed to have a good weekend.

Best Wishes 

Sandra x

SARN66

Glad to hear your results were good NicoFischer,

Shame you have to go through Chemo but you wont be alone, you are in good company.  Hopefully we can all help eachother with remedies for any side effects we have and have a good moan together when we feel rubbish, or maybe we will be lucky and not feel too bad, lets hope!!

Best wishes to you all

Sandra x x

Wendi

Hi Sheena. Thankyou for your message .This forum really is a comfort in time of need.I expect you have found it so. Please let me know how you are getting on if you have time. Love and best wishes Wendy xxxx
Wendi

Hi Jo Had my operation Friday and all I can say is that I feel fine. Even better than after the lumpectomy.A little sore but that is to be expected. Feel nothing with meds.I went on a course organised by Breast Cancer Care last Wednesday about coping with a diagnosis of breast cancer.When the psychologist turned up,another story! she was very good. She recommended a web site for a meditation technique. Mindfulness.which is supposed to be good for stress, pain, insomnia etc. a panacea in fact. Anyway the web site is head space.co.uk I have downloaded the ap and there are 10 free sessions which I have just startedI find it interesting though whether I will commit myself to approx £4 a month after this I do not know. Another web site on Mindfulness is Frantic world.com which was recommended by the psychologist of a woman on the course. I have not checked it out yet. I think we need all the help possible to cope with the stress we are going throughout. Thankyou once again for all your support. love and best wishes Wendy xxxx
Wendi

hi Sandra I have just read your message and it seems we are in identical positions I am not sure how you become friends on this site but it would be useful if we could keep in touch as it seems we are going through the same thing.The node removal operation for me was less painful than a lumpectomy which in itself was nothing. I am a bit sore which is to be expected but with meds I feel nothing.The drain is a bit awkward A few feet of plastic tube which a district nurse will come and check every day for anything from 2/3 days to 2/3 weeks depending on the individual.I think it depends on how much fluid drains out. When it is less than 40mls on two consecutive days it is removed.A good tip from my cancer nurse is to buy a drawstring wash bag from Tesco fasten it to an old belt and fix it round your waist It saves carrying it around which is a bit awkward.Of course under a skirt you would not be able to see anything.I intend going to W.I.on Wednesday afternoon and to see a film of the live performance of the opera Carmen in a local cinema Wednesday evening so really I am fine. The operation is nothing to worry about though of course waiting for the results will be difficult It is a pity you have to wait so long .My consultant has been fantastic. I am lucky to live near Cardiff no matter what they say about the NHS in Wales . Keep in touch Love and best wishes Wendy
SARN66

Hi Wendi,

I has my post op results yesterday, like you clear margin but 2 out of 4 nodes affected.  I am waiting for the date for next op - full node removal.  I was told I might need to wait up to 3 weeks for op which I wasnt very happy about.  

I have been told I will have chemo because of 2 nodes affected. Not looking forward to another 2 weeks of waiting to find out how many more are affected.

I hope your op goes well tomorrow and then you can get on with treatment and getting better.

Best wishes

Sandra 

NicoFischer

Thanks for your lovely message Jo.  It's good to be part of such a supportive community.  Fingers crossed for all those waiting for results.

Nico x

mael

Valerie, I do feel for you. I've been there, again and again, you know the drill (biopsies, is it cancer, how bad, etc etc). I am waiting too for the results of CT scan and bone scan but haven't heard anything yet and I assume no news is good news (or isn't it?). Soon I will have to worry for the results of the node clearance. And so on. This waiting room of hell won't stop. One day I will have to worry for the results of the check-up. Nobody will ever tell me I am cured, ever. As depressing as it is, I can live with it: I don't really have a choice. I'll just go on with the base philosophy that goes: "do you have a problem right now? if not, then you don't have a problem". I'll live on in a perennial state of upheaval and I will try to find pleasure in every minute I am alive.

It may seem extreme but at the moment it seems the only outlook that lets me keep my sanity. Also, maybe in a few years there will be a definitive cure, who knows? In the meantime, good luck x And keep calm, don't try to divine the future. One day at a time xxx

Valerie7

Hello ladies - I'm having a bit of a meltdown with worry and moments of sheer panic about the results of an MRI this Friday.  I was all set to have a bi-lateral mastectomy and removal of lymph nodes on left side Saturday 20 June.  Had an appointment on Friday 19 for sentinal lymph node procedure on the right side but was called to speak to my surgeon who told me results of CT scan had shown something on both liver and adrenal glands.

My last mammogram was 18 months ago and they checked it again in the light of my diagnosis and it was completely clear.  So, in the space of 4 weeks I have had to come to terms with the surgery which I thought I had just about got my thoughts around, which is now postponed - and now trying to come to terms with the MRI and waiting till Thursday 2 July for the results!

Trying to avoid wishing my life away to make the time go faster - and to think positive until I get the difinitive diagnosis.

Love to all

V xx

Jobey68

So Great to hear your results were good Nico, seems odd to say that about cancer but it really is good, none of us want to face chemo and I didn't have it so can't give you any info but there will be plenty here who can hopefully help put your mind at rest, we have to do what we can to get rid of this nasty b*****d and you will get through it love, your not alone and the ladies on here are stars and will help you through 😊 love Jo xx
NicoFischer

Thanks for your wishes Sheena.  The good news is I don't need further surgery & my lymph nodes were negative, so that's a huge relief.  Not so great is the fact that I have to have chemo because of my age & the high grade of the cancer.  This will of course be followed by radiotherapy & then tamoxifen.  I know it could be worse & it is good to know the plan but I'm dreading the chemo. 

Nico x

missmore

Hope all goes well for you today nicofisher x
sheena x
missmore

Hi wendi
good luck with the op on Friday x one step at a time, get over this bit and then move on to the next bit, keep talking here it's a great comfort
sheena x
Jobey68

Hi Wendi, sorry you didnt get the results you were hoping, i can imagine how you are feeling but they will take good care of you and your husband sounds like mine bless him,he took control of everything and i felt so relaxed around him as he was so positive which is just what you need 😊 2 clear nodes is the thing to hang on too, we get so hung up on them but my surgeon said they are doing their job if they have caught some on it way out! Please let me know how you get on xxx Love Jo
Wendi

Hi Jo. Thankyou for your comments which really helped on Monday.We also visited the grand children 4yrs and 2yrs .They really are a joy. Results on Tuesday were mixed . clear margin but bad news was 2 out of 4 lymph nodes are affected. I have to go back into hospital Friday for full node removal.Of course that makes the possibility of lymph oedema more likely . Another wait of 2 and a half weeks for news if I have to have chemo or not as well as radiotherapy.Sorry not to be more cheerful but I am only just getting over the shock. I still have my friends and family for support and my husband is great His reaction to the news was "Don't worry I'll look after you" What more could I want? I hope things are going well with you Once again thankyou for taking the time to reply love Wendi
NicoFischer

Hi
I am in the same horrid position, 2weeks post WLE & awaiting my fate! Appt for results on 24/6 -finally only 2 days away. I have been ok, then anxious, then sad, then irritable etc, etc, etc. My mother is coming with me ( along with my husband) & I'm worried how she'll cope with whatever is said, especially if I need a mx. She is an extremely anxious person, maybe not the best companion on such an occasion. But she's my mum & wants to be there. It's tiring taking everyone else's feelings into consideration!
As far as being called at short notice, I was given surgery date of 22/6 in clinic, then the nurse phoned me the same day to say they wanted to bring it forward to 8/6, which was only a week away. I was scared it was because the tumour was growing really fast! The nurse said it was just that a space had become free & not to worry. In the end I was glad to get it over with sooner. I suppose we have to take what we're given.
Xx
Jobey68

Hi Wendi,
The waiting is just horrendous and I know exactly how you are feeling, I didn't sleep, couldn't eat and shook all the time, it was just awful but I'm a few months down the line now with treatment just having finished and I'm feeling good so things do eventually return to normal 😊 we've all been in the hideous waiting room and everyone will empathise with your feelings right now, the not knowing is the absolute worst part of all this and,your mind will take you all sorts of dark places, I couldn't distract myself no matter how hard I tried so didn't even bother, I just wallowed until results day came around, like you I had masses of support but it made no difference to how I was feeling, just take it hour by hour and know that your not going mad and the way you are feeling is perfectly normal, fingers crossed for good results on Tuesday and you can start on your road to recovery and feeling happy again 😊 take care love Jo xx
Wendi

I am waiting for my results-next Tuesday 23rd June.I have only been able to sleep 2-3 hrs a night since my diagnosis and the waiting doesn't get any easier.I have plenty of support ,from my husband and various friends and talking to them helps but I keep going over the possible results. I know I will be alright but then I thought I would be one of the 4 out of 5 women who have normal results after further tests after a mammogram.Big shock to find I have breast cancer. I think I will phone the cancer support helpline this morning just to voice my fears which I cannot do to my family. Only 4days to go now thank goodness so the end is in sight. I am thinking of you Love Wendi
Jennifed

I'm another one joining the "waiting for results" club. It's rubbish isn't it? First you wait for the biopsy, then the operation and then the results, then the treatment. I'm still recovering from surgery but I know the tension will start to build as the date gets closer. Have any of you ladies had your results? Are you ok?
mael

I am going to get my results tomorrow and I am terrified as well.

How did it go? I really hope for the best, for all of us.

hugs xxx

mael

missmore

Hi Patricia how are you getting along now?  X

Patricia11

Hello Missmore, Pandorra1 and MrsGoggins and thank you so much for your detailed replies which have made me feel calmer and less anxious. xxx
missmore

Hi Patricia I'm still waiting for my results so can only imagine your anxiety levels x hope all goes well and no further surgery required. Will be thinking of you x
pandorra1

It's a normal reaction but still so scary. At least you have had necessary ops and now if you need further surgery it is another hurdle you will get over. It's  good that we get to talk to our surgeons and he is there for you so try and relax as best you can. The waiting is always the worst part. Whatever they suggest is going to get you over this 'inconvenience ' . We are all here for you, sending strength and courage lol xxxxx

MrsGoggins

Hi Patricia11

So sorry you are so fearful....just remember the waiting is the worst so if you are being seen tomorrow it is only one sleep away! I have been called to meetings at short notice which have sent me into a flat spin. The last time I was called in at short notice was because they knew I was anxious so thought it was better for me to be seen asap and they had a same day slot.....

Also it is quite usual for the MDT to discuss a case and decide what the next course of treatment is and for the plan to be shared by the original surgeon. I was then referred and seen the same day by the oncologist for further discussions. I found that for several weeks it was all full on and busy with seeing one dept or another. 

I do hope you can take someone with you to support you and to listen and take notes as I find my brain gets left at the door and I think I am hearing and responding but ask me later about the detail and my dear husband has a much better recall. 

I hope that you are able to sleep tonight and to think that this time tomorrow you will know more and most likely have a plan to work with.

Warmest wishes

Katie

xx

Patricia11

Need help facing results please

Hello 

I have had grade 3 invasive ductal tumour and 18 out of 18 positive nodes. I have had lumpectomy and 2 weeks ago had a second operation to try and get clear margins.

I called the hospital today to see if results where back and i was told that my case was going to be discussed at the multidisciplinary meeting on Monday so i just assumed i would hear after then.

Just now i got a call from the breast clinic asking me to come into an appointment tomorrow at short notice with the breast surgeon.

I am now shaking with fear that he did not get clear margins and is i need another operation likely a mx or worse as i am being called in at short notice

Has anyone else had a similar experience please xxx