Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need your advice. Where to have chemo

8 REPLIES 8
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Need your advice. Where to have chemo

Thanks for all your advice. Ive decided to have the chemo in Brighton. I love it down here and want to be with my partner. My mums agreed to come down whenever I need her.

What a difficult decision to make. I was treated in Brighton and found then to be kind and helpful - i hope they were effective but only time will tell. One thing, if you have to have rads the wait in Brighton is quite long - might be worth checking. Also you will need someone to accompany you to the chemo visits - unless you are only a short walk from the hospital - I wouldn't have felt alert enough to drive home. Everyone is different though. Best wishes on your decision and treatment. You are so young to have to deal with this
cheers
caroline

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Emelf,
Its tough to think about this now especially as you just don't know how your going to be. I agree with the other ladies here in that everyone is different and depending on what drugs you'll be given you will react differently also.

I'm 25 and was diagnosed in June, I chose to have the chemo on the Friday which gave me 2 days to get better before work...however as it turned out I was too unwell to get back to work on the Monday but could get back to work on the Wednesday after the first 2 cycles and thursday for the rest.
Sure both your partner and Mum will want to look after you, but really after the first week I think you'll be feeling loads better. Having said that I cant imagine travelling between Brighton and Leicester as you'll want to save your energy for fun things not travelling.
One thing which I have been lucky with is that I work at the hospital I have treatment at which is a real bonus as you'll find there will be lots of appointments to get to which can be hard if trying to work as well.
Good luck with it all
charlie

Hi Emelf;
Its difficult to predict how you will cope with chemotherapy as we are all so different. As the above posts say many women do manage to cope with some low days between each cycle but equally there are some who find it rougher. I lived alone and in a remote part of Cumbria so my GP was concerned and sympathetic. I managed to get a referral to Manchester for chemo and moved in with my son and DIL...a decision that turned out right for me as I had a rough time all the way through chemo until it was stopped prematurely because of side effects.

I just want to add that so far there has been no problems with having two teams as it were. I continue to be monitored by my BC surgeon in Cumbria and by my oncologist in Manchester. Whenever there is need of coresspondance both parties are copied into each other.

It may may help you decide when you know which chemo you will be having...mine was epi-cmf which is a 28 week regime and I just didn't fancy going that length of time without support.

Hope this helps and good luck with you decision

Best wishes
Trish

Guest user
Not applicable

The Brighton chemo team are nice people and the ward is as anice as it can be.

I have had 2 sorts of chemo now and have found different side effects - but both have been 3 days of the worst, and about a week of not doing much, then gradually better until the 3rd week quite ok.

Each chemo is different for each person though.

I needed to be at home. I have a husband who is doing all the cooking.

Perhaps your mum could come down for you 'bad days' -?

Good luck with everything.

gill

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice. Im not sure which chemo Im having but will find out at my post op 2moro.

Hello Emelf

I live alone and managed throughout chemo without problems. I had a little help with lifts and shopping from kind friends and neighbours but was fine living alone and indeed was sometimes very glad to be alone.

Let us know what kind of chemo you'll be having.

Best wishes
Anthi x

may I ask which chemo you are having?With most of them you feel ok for a couple of days then varying degrees of rough for about a week then slowly improving till the next one.I think you will be fine with your partner at home but maybe your mum could come down for a few days if you need more help.You shouldnt need constant care.Some people work through chemo!
Good Luck Vx

Guest user
Not applicable

Need your advice. Where to have chemo

Hi, I need your advice. Im 29, and am going to have chemo in about a month. I have my post op for my mastectomy this week and will have to decide where I have my chemo. I live in Brighton with my partner. We have only just moved here but do have some friends here. My partner needs to work full time as our money situation is tight. I have no idea how Im going to be on the chemo but assuming im not good on it I dont know whether to stay down here or go up to Leicester where my mum lives and have the chemo up there. She doesnt work so she will be able to look after me. My Mcmillan nurse wants me to stay in Brighton because of keeping the same team of people. I dont know how much care I ll need and if i ll want anyone around me. Im worried if I go to my mums I ll miss my partner and want him around. My mum could come down and look after me but I live in small flat and it wouldnt be very comfortable for the 3 of us.

I need advice from people that have experienced this first hand as the breast cares nurses cant tell me what they think I should do. I know we are all different and some people would hate to go back home to their mums. What I really need to know is if I ll need a lot of care. I might have to sacrifice being with my partner
so that I can have lots of care from my mum.