Needs some advice please as I am very confused :(

Hello, I have a lot of questions & I don’t know who to ask… My mum died of BC when I was only 7, she was only 39. I’m not very close to my family… & as far as I know her mum also had the same, I think this is a strong family history. I don’t know a lot about who I talk to & how I go about seeing who ever it is I need to talk to. This may sound a little drastic for Someone of my age (21) but my blood cousin was also diagnosed with BC at the age of 28. I worry a lot about my future & feel I need to talk to someone I jut don’t no who, I hope someone can help me as I would really approtiate it. Thankyou <3

I would suggest you ring the help line on here 0808 800 6000. I think they will be shut now but you could use some time to write down your worries and questions. Do this on a piece of paper and put the paper into an envelope and try not to think about it until tomorrow morning. Then you can ring them and get some good advice.

Hi Ceenii_21,

The Breast Cancer Care Helpline will reopen tomorrow morning at 9am, Tel 0808 800 6000 (opening hours Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm). Please do give them a call if it would help to talk to someone in confidence, they can offer information and support.

I thought it might also be helpful to post a link to BCC’s Breast Cancer in Families booklet just in case you haven’t seen it:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-families-bcc32

With best wishes,
Anna, BCC Facilitator

Thankyou for the advice :slight_smile: this is something I will do :slight_smile: x

Hi hun. Don’t worry about not having all the information. My mum died when I was young and I was not sure of all the facts. My gp happily referred me to the Genetics dept. of local university for potential genetic testing. I filled in the form with very little family history. The staff have access to a national cancer database and could fill in the gaps for you. So should you choose to go in that direction then staff who can help. My advice is not to panic, chances are you are fine. Call tje BCC helpline AND your gp. Get an appoitment with your doc and start the ball rolling…keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Hugs to you…xo

Hi ceenii

With your mum having bc at 39 you would be eligibe for early screening from about 35-40. You can referred to genetics to discuss it.

Lxxxx

Hi Ceenii_21

Yes, tell your GP to refer you to a geneticist. You’re sensible to get this looked at. The process may take some while but I hope you find it helpful and it should help to ensure that you receive the level of screening appropriate to your individual case.