Nerve damage

Hi all - it’s been a while since I have posted on this site (diagnosed January 2008), but I have started having new problems and would love to see your comments and advice - as I don’t know what to do next!  For the last few years on and off I have been experiencing sharp pain under my armpit/breast area where I had breast cancer and a sentinal lymph node removed.  Didn’t think too much about it but now OMG it is now interferring with my life - so much pain and quite often now.  Have been to the gp and they say (without any scans but one chest x-ray) that it is possible nerve damage and to take amitriptyline or gabapentin.  Tried amitriptyline but couldn’t exist with it - felt sooo out of it and drunk and couldn’t function at work.  Now he says to try gabapentin, but I don’t want to be on another strong drug for years to come.  Can they not repair or remove damaged area??  Is there not any other cures for this?  Still on Tamoxifen and will be for another 4 years as my consultant recommends you stay on it for 10 years.  Please help, at the end of my tether - thanks all.  Ladela235.

Hi LADELA235

It sounds like you’re having a tough time at the moment. I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their experiences and knowledge.  In the meantime you might find it helpul to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline. Here you can share your thoughts with someone who will offer yo a listening ear as well as support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BC Facilitator 

My sister has been in constant pain since her mastectomy. She experiences pain on her back. She has been taking tramadol which helps her. She has also had pain patches which made her pain worse in the short term but helped a little longer term.

Her pain is in her back. As u understand they moved muscle from this area during reconstruction. This has resulted in permanent nerve damage. She’s coping well but I worry about her taking tramadol daily.