cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nerve pain around scar after treatment has finished

5 REPLIES 5
Karis

Re: Nerve pain around scar after treatment has finished

Just a thought- as its been quite a few months since they recommended it for you, perhaps a quick check up with your doctor first?? Then you'll know that the doctors advice is still right for you now, as opposed to a few months back. And you can show the doc exactly where the discomfort is for you now. All the best K x

mangochutney

Thanks girls for replying.
Karis, Im not entirely sure why Ive not tried the gel! I seem to have a "phobia" about the idea of rubbing anything over my scar where "it" was. Worried about "messing" with the area again I think. Ive never actually touched the spot where the lump was, ever since the day I found out what it was.
I think I'll get some tomorrow and try it. It is only tender when I catch it or someone hugs me but in between times I am "aware" of it (not pain as such).

Ill keep you posted.
Mandy xx

Karis

Hi, I wrote a long answer but it disappeared into the ether, so I thought I'd just do a short one for now. I was wondering why you hadn't given the gel a try? If it doesn't help, you can always ask for some more advice, rather than put up with it.
The rest of this post may not apply to you at all and is not meant to be depressing, just my ramblings on the subject of a painful experience. I had some very helpful advice on this forum at the time - just when I was starting to get really down about it. It is hard to grumble on here particularly when so many others have far worse problems, but you have to be able to grumble somewhere!
I had much the same issues after a mastectomy, and a LOT of wound swelling after radiotherapy. Also had Gabapentin, Ibiprofen Gel and physio prescribed and used them for a while, before stopping. This was only after making a fuss about the terrible pain I was in after radiotherapy. I really believe I was started on the radiotherapy way too soon after the mastectomy, when the wound was not healed enough, and because I was fobbed off with seeing the inexperienced oncology registrar, not the consultant. Also because the problem was deep by my chest wall, I think the radiation has inflamed my ribs and pectoral muscle. At least that's what it feels like to me. I also had a lot of nerve pain down my arm which has improved a lot over the months.
AS I said, I did have to make a fuss in the end, and ended up seeing more senior medics and got the treatment outlined above. Also had some help from Haven to settle my worries.
The pain and swelling did eventually settle down, but haven't gone away by any means 2 plus years later. Still irritating stiffness and pain under the scar line, discomfort wearing a bra, and a rather swollen arm. I really do think I'm stuck with it now, and have concentrated on trying to "put it to the back of my mind", and get back to work. I shouldn't be so lazy about my stretching exercises, and wish I was a more confident swimmer - which someone else suggested.
Sorry to ramble - but would encourage you to approach the breast care team again if you are in discomfort. At least they should tell you why!!
All the best K x

galaxygirl99

HI Mandy and Nannabarb
I had double MX in Aug 2011 followed by rads which finished on Nov 2011. Since then I have taken Gabapentin for the nerve pain, although I have reduced the doseage over time, I am not able to go without. My onc initially prescribed this for me. Perhaps this would help you?
Ang xxx

nannabarb

Hi Mandy,
My treatment was very similar to yours in same timescale, except I had chemo first. I cant say I have had bad pain around my scars, but has definately felt very uncomfortable from time to time, and is still painful if I hug my grandson to close on that side. Hopefully now I've responded you will move to latest posts and get some more helpful replies xxx
mangochutney

Nerve pain around scar after treatment has finished

I had a WLE and SNB in March 2011. I had chemotherapy from May 2011 -August 2011, (FEC-T) I had Herceptin from July 2011-June 2012. I had radiotherapy Sept-Oct 2011. 15 fractions to the whole breast with a boost of 4 extras to the "tumour bed".
Ever since my radiotherapy finished the area over my scar has felt very tender, especially if I just catch it or someone hugs me closely. I mentioned it when I went for my first mammogram following treatment, in February 2012 and the doctor told me to use Ibuprofen gel on the area. Ive never used it, hoping it would settle, but it hasnt.
Has anyone else had this kind of pain/sensation? And has anyone used the Ibuprofen gel and had success with it?
Thanks
Mandy x