338831posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous..need holiday advice

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Nervous..need holiday advice

Thank you both, you have helped to ease some of my worries. Any suggestions where I can get some NICE mascetomy bikinis!!
Also I suppose if you do develop lympodema while away, its not life threatening is it? After all its only two weeks away!!
sorry I sound pathetic dont I, I just don't want to end up ruining everyone's holiday!

Yes go on holiday you wilit love it and it will do great things for your general healing and well being, life is for living! I packed my bags and went off to Florida for two fab weeks traipsing around the Disney parks! Just what the doctor ordered. The only hassle you might have is getting travel insurance apart from that you will be fine! Look forwards to hearing all about your holiday!

Hi Chatty Katty, I've gone and booked a holiday to Thailand with the family in March, which will be 3 months after all my treatment (chemo, mx, node clearance and rads) and I'm a little worried too about lymphadeoma. My bcn recommended wearing a sleeve on my affected arm during the flight and also support socks(!) ..we are more prone to blood clots now since a cancer diagnosis, apparently. So I'm going to take the necessary precautions and bl***y enjoy my holiday. Hope you enjoy yours too- we deserve it!!!!

Hi, yes, I had a bilateral MX and full node clearance.

I took antibiotics too - and also had an appointment before I went with an LD nurse who went through what the signs are to look for etc so I felt confident to know what to look for.

x

Highlighted

Hi ya, I haven't been on holiday yet as only 3 weeks post op for mx. My physio did say that we will always live with the fear of lymphodema for the rest of our lives, but as long as we try to protect ourselves then we can lead normal lives. She did advise me to always carry antibiotics when going abroad esp for bites and cuts etc. suggested to get that organised by your GP. At least it might give you peace of mind when travelling.
Hope you have a great holiday, you definately deserve it.
Maggie x

Thanks for that, can I ask, did you have mx as well as lymph clearance

Hello!

I went on holiday 1 month after radiotherapy. I went to the Maldives for 10 days on an island with the nearest hospital being about an hour's flight away. I had no problems at all with the long haul flight or with mozi bites (and I got a few on my full clearance arm. I also stupidly cut it on some coral and sunbirned it too...!). I think we bl**dy deserve some nice holidays and fun after treatment and I've been on loads of holidays this year (I work in the travel industry and get lots of freebies) and have done 7 longhaul return flights over 10 hours. My lymphoedema nurse said there was no need for a sleeve, but it seems as though others recommend wearing a sleeve - so maybe ask your BCN's advice.

Go for it! It will be excellent!

x

Dear Kath

While you are waiting for some replies to your post I thought I would also mention that you may find it helpful to phone our Helpline to talk over some of your worries. They will be able to offer you lots of information and support. Opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Nervous..need holiday advice

Hi I was dx in march 2012 with grade 3 idctriple neg. I had chemo first then full mx and 15 rads. I finished all active treatment end of November. The problem I'm having may sound silly to some, but I'm really nervous.
my lovely dad wants to take me, the kids, my sis and my mum on holiday. He's looking to go in February to Mexico, it sounds wonderful but I'asolo scared of being away from the hospital. I had all m lymph nodes out and I'm worrying about my arm ballooning up on the plane, mosi bites and what will i do if anything happens while there!
has anyone else been on a long haul flight 3 months after treatment and if so any advice.

thanks kath