cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neutrophil levels

7 REPLIES 7
Tracy1967

Re: Neutrophil levels

Hi Pyari, my story is very much like Lola's but I'm still going through chemo. I've had x3 FEC and was neutropenic (0.1) for 2 sessions (1 and 3). After FEC 1 my dosage was reduced to 80% but my bloods still dropped for FEC 3. They possibly dropped low for FEC 2 but as there was no temperature I won't have known. Both times I felt fine but my temperature rose to 38. I was admitted on both occasions with IV antibiotics but no infection was found. We need to be very careful as we can feel ok when neutropenic. I've just started on T and are now having x7 G-CSF jabs to hopefully help with the WBC and neutrophils. Unfortunately the bloods will rise when they're ready, I don't think there's any foods which will boost your bloods in such a short time. Good luck for the 18th February, hope everything goes to plan.

Tracy XXX
Lola65

Hi,

I should have said I finished my chemo last July, so all behind me now.

I was on 6 doses of Tax and Carboplatin with Herceptin. During my first cycle my temp rose to 38 but I didn't feel ill. However, I did as I was told and rang in, went to chemo unit and had a blood test. My neuts were down to 0.1 so I was admitted straight away even though my temp had gone back to normal. I was in hospital 3 days but they never found a source of infection and I felt very well. I was allowed home once my neuts rose to an acceptable level. Had I not taken my temp at that particular time I would never have known. For all subsequent cycles I was given the single Neulasta jab the day after chemo and was fine.

Pyari

Hi Lola, thanks for your reply,my husband is very much into alternative medicine and has bought me kale and broccoli to make soup as his books tell him they are good for the immune system. I take his advice with a pinch of salt and to keep him happy I'll get my daughter to make some. Xxx
Pyari

Thanks for your reply, I couldn't understand why it happened within a week and I didn't feel unwell either. My temp had been fine so if I hadn't gone to see the onc nurse I wouldn't have known and may have ended up in hospital. It shows that how well you may be feeling you never know what is going on inside your body.I had 3xTAX before starting the FEC and my levels were around the 4 mark.
I'll get my blood test results within an hr tomorrow and I'll just keep my fingers crossed. In the meantime I've banned visitors visiting next week so that I I'm fit for my last chemo.
I hope you get through your last 2 treatments without any problems. Wish you all the best.x
Lola65

Hi,

Sadly there is nothing you can do to get your levels up. They will go up when they are ready and not before, no matter what you do. If there were anything people could do we would be advised to do it and wouldn't be given the extremely expensive GSF injections. All you can do is to try to avoid infections and hopefully stay out of hospital.

Good luck with your blood test tomorrow xxx

Sam_BCC

Hi Pyari

I am sorry to read you're experiencing a pretty rough time at them moment.  I'm sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their knowledge and support. In the meantime if you would like to talk things through do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as support and practical information.  Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

poemsgalore

I had zero neutrophils after chemo 4, so also had to go into hospital on IV anti-bs. I had changed from FEC to TAX for number 4, and my onco thought this was why I was so ill. She put me back on FEC for my last two treatments. 

Pyari

Neutrophil levels

I had my 5th treatment ( 2nd FEC) on 28th Jan and my levels were 3.2, however I had another blood test on Thursday as I had fluid seeping from my nails and the level had dropped to 0.2. I had 5 days of GSF injection following the chemo but it seems they hadn't worked so was given another 3 doses and antibiotics to take, and will have another blood test on Monday
It is the first time this has happened and obviously I'm concerned as my last chemo on 18th Feb I don't want this delayed. I thought I had done well with eating the right food avoiding the public and too many visitors.
Has anyone been in similar situation and how can I get my levels up?