New. Called for an assessment appointment

Hello, my name is Jan and I had a routine mammogram a week ago and I have now received a letter for an appointment on 24 April for an assessment.
I didn’t self check until I got my mammogram appointment which is when I felt what I can only describe as a mass as it is significantly bigger than a lump. I can not say I am surprised either as I had noticed a change in the shape of my breast when I raised my arms but ignored it. I do get sore lumpy breasts when I have a period so put it down to that.

I am not sure how I feel. I am scared, particularly as I am on my own and my children live away from me.

What may happen on Wednesday?
Any advice would be appreciated
Jan

Hi Jan,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along while you are waiting for replies I have put for you below the link to one of BCC’s publications you may find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi Jan,sorry you find yourself here waiting for wed to come around , its a horrible scary time.There are some standard tests they do when you are referred for further testing ,hopefully they will do them all on the same day so that you know where you stand at the end of the appt.
Firstly dont go it alone take a friend or family member with you its really important to have company .You will be seen by Dr ,he will examine your breasts and get a history from you ,they may do a needle biopsy were just an ordinary needle and syringe is used to extract a few cells which they send of for testing its a bit uncomfortable but honestly not to bad at all, they may also do an ultrasound which is again painless you may find that while they are doing the ultrasound they will pay attention to the area around your armpit just where your lymph glands are thats just to get a fuller picture.
I had a core biopsy a wk later this may be done at same time for you or may be done instead of needle biopsy i was scared about that but they freeze you up and it was not sore its just to get a bit larger sample i jumped when dr did it he thought it was because it was sore but its just a loud noise and i had got myself a bit worked up . Some people have mri scans as well i didnt.
Jan will be thinking about you im sure there will be plenty of other people along as well ,try to keep busy until wed and talk to someone if you feel you can will be thinking about you xx caz

Thank you Jo and Caz.
I am hoping my daughter will be able to come with me if her husband can take the day off work. My elderly parents are abroad on holiday and know nothing about it and I have no one else that I could take.
I dont know whether to prepare for the worst or hope for the best. Wednesday can not come quick enough.

Jan

I told my boss at work today and a couple of the other senior staff members and have been overwhelmed with support and positivity. They are amazing!
Later this afternoon, I received a call from the chairperson of the management committe talking me through what will probably happen on Wednesday. She is an NLP practitioner so she got me to focus on today and now rather than “what music to pick for my funeral”
I haven’t been particularly productive but have had lots of hugs and cups of coffee and am feeling a lot less isolated.

Hi Jan,
sorry you find yourself joining us but this forum is great and full of lots of information and support. I have also used the support helpline and found the nurses very helpful.
I was diagnosed in October last year and today finished chemo, this will be followed by surgery in a few weeks. I have got through this by focusing on one day at a time and on one part of this journey. I found I could not take in much information, so I really hope your daughter can go with you tomorrow. I found I even heard things they did not say, the mind can plays tricks on us. Have a list of questions as well, I found it helped to me to focus my thoughts and what i wanted to know.
Caz has given you a good run down of what is likely to happen, its good to be prepared.
Glad your work place is being supportive, that will help.
I will be thinking about you tomorrow.
Susanmary x

Hi jan just wanted to say all the best for tomorrow will be thinking about you xxx caz

Thanks Caz. Cant sit still today!

Thank you Susanmary. I am so grateful for the support

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven’t updated after Wednesday. I went straight to my daughter’s in Warwickshire after I left the hospital and I have not had access to a computer, then when I did I couldn’t remember my password.

It is not good news, but then I knew it wouldn’t be. I was taken straight for an ultrasound scan and then had 2 biopsies taken which weren’t too bad at all.

The consultant wouldn’t say “the word” however, he kept saying it was deeply concerning and that it was very serious. On the positive side, he said that he could not see anything in my armpit.
I was then reunited with my daughter and shortly after called in to see the breast care nurse who was so lovely and let me and my daughter have a cry and a hug whilst she passed us tissues.
She talked me through the nest steps and explained why i have to wait until this wednesday for the results of the biopsy. On Wednesday I will have a fuller diagnosis and we have to agree a treatment plan. I will then meet the surgeon who will operate in my local hospital and was told that it will all happen very quickly.

I am feeling very emotional and I haven’t been on my own until this afternoon. I told my Mum and Dad this morning and my little dad broke down. Bless him x
I am going into work tomorrow as I think it will be better if I am busy rather than sat at home on my own.
So here I am waiting for Wednesday to come around again!
Jan

Oh Jan, you are in the worst possible place, the Waiting Room as we all call it. Nothing you can do but look after yourself, keep busy, eat chocolate, forget any diets or nasties like that, try some retail therapy, and pamper yourself.

Please take someone with you on Wednesday because you will need an extra pair of ears. Much of what is said will go in one ear and out the other. I asked for and got a copy of my biopsy report, which I found invaluable over the coming weeks as it gave me some control over the situation and contained more information than I was told verbally. Some medics are reluctant to hand these out, but you are entitled by law to have a copy, so be assertive about it.

Trust me, once you know exactly what you are dealing with, and have a treatment plan, you will feel so much better. Its like a weight lifted.

Good luck, xxxx

Thanks Lola. Just eating chocolate covered macadamia nuts, which is amazing as I haven’t eaten anything properly for 2 weeks now.
Thanks for the advice about the report, I will certainly ask for that.
My ex husband is coming with me on wednesday (I know, it sounds odd, but he is still my best mate)
Jan