New Here

Hi Folks

Though I don’t have Breast Ca, My wife was diagnosed in Aug 2011…following wide area excision, radiotherapy and now ongoing tamoxifen, she is doing really well…no sign of recurrence so far (phew)

anyway, Thanks for all the input into this site, we both found great strength through reading it and I felt I should keep active on the forum for several reasons
1, Alison doesn’t really ‘do’ forums
2, I’m a GP and seeing everything from a patients perspective has really opened my eyes
3, I hope i can share info and glean some that will be of value with my daily work (a very busy suburban General Practice )
4, to show support and contribute to the wonderful work done by Breast cancer Care

so thats it folks

Keep on Believing and best wishes

John

What a nice post John.
Glad to hear that your wife is doing well.

<address>It’s good that you use this site (think more men should), and nice to hear that you are taking the positives and they are getting implemented in your work. Your patients are very lucky.</address>
<address> </address>
<address>Take care</address>
<address>Faye</address>

Hi John

How nice that you took the time to put pen to paper(so to speak) about this. I am very recently diagnosed and in treatment but have taken great strength and comfort from this forum. I remember the day I was diagnosed and my Breast Care Nurse referred to this being a ‘new way of life’, and I remember thinking ‘what IS she talking about, when I’ve had my treatment I won’t have to be bothered with it again!’. How little I knew!! Talking to people on here has helped me make crucial decisions about the way forward with my treatment. Although the medics give you choices and explain in medic language, coming on here has given me the emotional implications from ladies who have been in a similar situation. You do realise that it affects people differently but nevertheless it has helped me decide what’s right for me.

Thanks John. Take good care of your wife
JF x

Welcome John,

It would be great to have active input from you, so please jump in and join us. I hope in return you can learn much from our rants and raves!

Thank you.

Dear John (boom boom - sorry, I couldn’t resist!),
It is all too easy to become self absorbed with all of this. How refreshing to have a fresh third party perspective. I feel that I need to be more mindful that it’s not just me going through this sometimes. Thank you for your input and I wish your wife all the best for continued good health.

Deborah

Hi John,
and welcome! It surprises me how many of us are nurses etc, although on reflection I suppose being a mainly female condition, and a lot of nurses being female it’s maybe not so surprising! :slight_smile:

I myself am a physiotherapist since 1982, and I have to say that it has been somewhat of an interesting experience, when I’ve not been feeling sore, sick, sad or terrified! I’m sure it will impact my practice, although I don’t yet know what form that will take! I will have been off for about a year, and sometimes I have felt quite guilty that I am not working, while other times, when I burst into tears in an instant, or feel I just have to sit or even go back to bed for a nap, and then I realise, no it’s true I couldn’t handle it just yet.

I get a lot from this site too, both receiving and giving support. In fact, kicking my therapy bones into gear, I guess, if I feel I can help even one other person through this awful scary thing we all face, then I feel better about it myself!

My husband doesn’t want to discuss all the nitty gritties, although he supports as and when he can, so this is where I feel I can say anything!

Give my regards and best wishes to your wife, and thank you for caring! :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the warm welcomes !..I often find medical professionals forget that BC is a ‘family’ illness not in a genetic sense (though that can be true) but in that it has far reaching consequences on all family members. We have 3 boys, they were 15,12 and 9 at diagnosis time and perhaps telling them was the most difficult thing we had to do. Now we rarely talk about it, it is ‘fixed’ and we know we were lucky.
Incidentally, I was a blubbering wreck at first, I just ran the worst-case-scenarios through my mind and remembered all the young and not so you ladies I’d been involved with as their doctor…It took a long time to switch off and go into Husband/dad mode !

Now my boys proudly wear their wristbands, spread the message and actively raise funds and awareness of this wonderful site/resource…I do too!

J xx

Well Done John and your boys,
It is great to know that a GP cares enough to spread the word about Touch Look Check …and all that the BCC website and services offer. We rely on it in times of extreme need and like to think that we help each other get through the tough times. I think your patients are very lucky to have such a caring doctor.
It will soon be Strawberry Tea time so I would like to take this opportunity to spread the word about how much fun it is to organise and of course it is another way of promoting awareness with leaflets, pin badges and information. If you check out the Strawberry tea website you will see some of us from here . I am the lady in pink with my Mum and Dad and my Dad is pretending to pinch all the strawberries which is why he has a funny grin on his face.
Thanks again John . We love it when hubbies , partners, daughters, sons and friends take the time and effort to come on here and share concerns and fears. Sending everyone lots of love Tracy xxx

John,
You sound like a lovely man and a fantastic GP. Your wife and patients are very lucky to have you looking after them. Well done to you, and your sons. Here’s hoping your wife continues to do well.
Poemsgalore xx

Hi John
Knowing this resource is here has already been invaluable for me. I am at the very early waiting stage. I find out on Wed what the biopsy says and then a plan will be formulated. Like Morwenna my husband is very concerned but not able to understand all the irrational fears and emotions I am going through. Reading through other ladies’ (mostly) experiences helps me tremendously.
Your boys will grow up to be caring young men too. I am glad to hear that your wife is recovered.

Sian

Hi John
What a lovely post. In a way, it’s nice to know that even a doctor can turn into a blubbering wreck.
I’m recently diagnosed and having WLE and SNB next week and I know it sometimes difficult to get out of the “me” mode and realise that this disease doesn’t just impact on us but also on our family and friends.
Maggie xx

Hello maggie, that is exactly what Alison had, I do hope your results are as positive (nowt in node and hormone sensitive)
good luck and our fingers are crossed for you

J & A