cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member in Cambridge / Huntingdon area

63 REPLIES 63
SonjaT

Re: New Member in Cambridge / Huntingdon area

I have finished treatment 2 ops 6mths chemo and 4 weeks radiotherapy, but love to catch up with others struggling to get back to normal

raechi

Hi ladies,

I missed all your replies... did you manage to sort anything local?

Rae

turbanite

Hello, I live in Cambridge area, just had last chemo session on Friday, hoorah!  Surgery and Radiotherapy to go.  I know there's lots of free alt therapies, counselling, yoga ets available, but not much use to me with no creche as I am full time mum to a toddler.  So I've been soldiering on on my own.  So Cathy some new mates going through the same thing would be lovely.  Helen xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello, I live in the Cambridge/Huntingdon area, have been having breast cancer treatment for the past 2 years, like to think i am over the worse, would like to talk to other people going through similar experiences just to know i am not aloneSmiley Very Happy Many Thanks Cathy x

Guest user
Not applicable

I live in St Neots and would love to join a Cambridgeshire forum and start chatting to Rae too. So might start a new Forum titled Cambridgeshire Breast Cancer Young Forum? Hope you can join me xxx
Lulu34

Just bumping this for Rae again to see if any ladies in or around the cambridge/east anglia would be interested in meeting up.
please get in touch x
raechi

Bumping to see if there any more people in the area out there 🙂

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Guys n gals,

I would most certainly be up for meeting if welcome - but I so wanted my Union Jack moheccan wig ready first ! NVM - hehe!

I have my pre-chemo visit at 11:30 am on the 30th April @ Lister (first cycle on 1st May), but will move hell & high waters to make it to whatever is decided.

Love the idea of a garden centre, but am trying to think of one with a decent cafe!

Merc
xxxx

Patchit

Bump

Patchit

Great! Thanks Jo.

So shall we earmark those dates in May and go with whichever one is the more popular?

Anyone got any suggestions re meeting up place? I see the St Albans ladies meet at a garden centre, which seems a good idea? They usually have nice cafe's!

Joan xx

raechi

Thanks for the title change. Dates should work for me as next chemo is may 9th 🙂
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies

Same here I can't do 30th April but the May dates are good for me. Look forward to it, but I'll see Joan and Caren am 30th anyway.

Carolyn xxx

Jo_BCC

Title changed for you ladies.

Jo, Facilitator

Patchit

oooh yes, thats a good idea Caren, maybe the Mods could do it for us?

Joan x

Care_N

Hi ladies, lovely to see some more local ladies popping up - we might get more if we change the name to Cambridgeshire/Hertfordshire but not sure if that's possible?

I'm able to make any of those dates, but have got something arranged for pm of 30th. Would be really good if we could all get together.

Caren
Xx

Patchit

Hello ladies

I am just thinking about a possible date for a meet up. I know some ladies chemo dates, and from that, I wondered about 30th April, 21st or 22nd May. I think that would suit Caren, Carolyn, Rae, Merc and me. Kinsee, you said you are back at work, so not sure how you would be fixed? Chocdrop and Danica, would Stevenage area be too far for you to get to?

Anyone else interested in a meet up? More the merrier!

Hugs
Joan xxx

Patchit

Hi Kinsee

It would be great if you could join us too! You are qute a way down the line from me, being in the middle of chemo. Its a long road, made easier by the company and friendship I get on here!

Hope you have a great weekend! We have mentioned a possibility of meeting up on the March 2012 chemo thread, and I really hope we manage to get together in the Autumn.

Joan x

kinsse

Evening ladies

I've just read your posts thinking Cambridge isn't far from me, I'm in Hitchin. I finished rads in january after chemo and am back at work now, struggling sometimes with the tiredness that hits you like a brick wall.
If you're talking about meeting up sometime in my area i'd love to join you. In fact I'm meeting up with 9 others tomorrow from the august chemo thread in Leaminington Spa for the weekend, really looking forward to it as these are the ladies that helped me through those really tough chemo days

Patchit

Evening ladies

How lovely to have a couple more local ladies! Not that I really mwan that, of course youwould rather not be here, but if we have to go through this, its good to have some company along the way!

Welcome chocdrop and merc. I too am a little further along, had my third FEC last week, 4 x TAX to go, then rads. I had a lumpectomy in October last year, then an mx in January. Surgery was at Welwyn QEII, chemo at Stevenage Lister and rads will be at Cambridge Addenbrooks. As you say, lots of travelling around!

It would be really good to maybe start making plans for a meet up? I dont know whether chocdrop and merc are having treatment at the moment, or waiting to start? Just trying to get a rough idea of dates, the chemo cycles wipes out nearly 2 weeks out of 3 really!

Good to hear from you all.

Hugs and xxx
Joan

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello ladies

Good to see members growing.

Welcome Merc, I live in Welwyn Garden city and I know 2 other ladies are also local to here. I'm a little further on from you had FEC3 last week so halfway through. I've been treated at QEII for surgery and consultations, Lister for chemo and then it'll be Mount Vernon for rads, so yes definitely lots if hospital hopping.

Hello to Chocdrop as well, the more the merrier I say when we do meet.

Good luck ladies

Carolyn xxx

raechi

Hey choc drop,
Nice to hear from you. I am in st Ives, so I know bluntisham well as its just down the road. It's funny actually as we were looking to move when I was diagnosed ( we had sold my house) and we were looking in bury. I really like it there. I don't blame you not wanting to come to addenbrookes. It's a bit of a mare to get to and parking is atrocious.
So where a outs are you in your treatment? How are you getting on with all of it? Are all your treatments at Ipswich?
It does not seem like there are many of us ladies in the part of the world. May be its all the healthy east anglian air.
Hinchingbrooke is a funny one as its now being run by a private company, so there are a good few changes going on. I wonder how it would compare to when you worked there.
Please do keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. And likewise to you, if we do manage to meet up you would be more than welcome to come along.
Rae
X

ChocDrop

Hi girls

Just reading this thread and, in answer to the question posed by Raechi regarding "Where are all the East Anglian ladies?" - I am one!!!

I'm in Bury St Eds but, instead of Addenbrookes, have chosen Ipswich for Rads. Two reasons - one is I have relatives in Ipswich but also it's a very good road (A14), slightly closer, and easier to get to the hospital there, I feel. So, I'm hoping for some good social times with relatives over the next few weeks!!!

So, would be interested to hear of/from others from over here in the east!!!

Just as a point of interest, I worked in Hinchingbrooke Hospital when newly opened, lived in Bluntisham!!! So, it's good to hear it's still providing a service. They were 'good old days' (25 yrs ago!!!)

Cheers

raechi

Hey,
Of course we don't mind you joining in. I am a little bit ahead of you as I have just had FEC number 2 yesterday.
I am having treatment at my local hospital in hinchingbrooke and will have some treatment at addenbrookes as they will do my radiation there.
How are you feeling about it all. It all seems a bit surreal at times doesn't it.
The other ladies may go to the same hospital as you I think. So may be able to advise you more of what goes on locally.
We are planning to try and meet up in the near future and I am sure you would be more than welcome.
Rae
X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone,

Hope you don't mind me popping in to say 'Hi'- I'm in Stevenage, but a bit confused as to which is my base hospital atm as I seem to be going all over the place for different things.

Had MX & ANC early March for IDC G3 ER+ and due to start FEC-T next month.

Bit odd really - I've spent many hours here - reading/trying to understand and accept, and now it somehow feels a bit daunting making a post. Perhaps it's finally all starting to sink in?

Merc

raechi

I dont think there are many of us in this part of the world! Good in some ways, not in others..
Where are all the East Anglia ladies?
x

Patchit

Bump!

Patchit

Hi Rae

Just wondered if you had thought any more about Jasmin's sessions? Hope you are doing ok this weekend?

Joan x

Guest user
Not applicable

Ah thanks Rae that explains problems. Fingers crossed they get it sorted then we can get booked and meet up.

Carolyn xxx

raechi

LGFB - Cambridge

Hiya,
I know some of you wanted to come to this. I finally heard back from the team in Cambridge and i have been told they are experiencing logistical problems for the workshops in Cambridge and they are unsure as to when the next workshop will be.
I have been told someone will be in touch when the problems are resolved. Not much good to us though huh 😞
Just thought i'd let you know.
Rae
x

raechi

Hi Joan,
M liking the wig! I actually live near Huntingdon, so about 50 miles away. But it's straight down the a1 so not too bad a drive (although I dont think I will be having the roof down with my wig on, that could be amusing if it flew off mid drive!)
I have not booked in the courses with jasmine yet, but will have a look at dates and when my chemo is to see what works best.
Will be so nice to meet you. 🙂
Rae
X

Patchit

Good morning ladies!

Danica, you would be most welcome to join us for a meet up! We had thought about meeting up at a scarf session near us but as there may be more of us, it might be better to go for somewhere central to all. What does anyone else think? There is another lady on the March chemo thread who is also local and I have told her of our potential plans.

Rae, whereabouts do you live. I know you work in Welwyn, but am not sure if that is where you live also?

Have a good day
Joan xx

raechi

Hi Charlotte,
Welcome to our little group. I've not managed to meet the other ladies yet - which was a shame but i was spoilt and got taken away so i cant complain 🙂
We will defintely keep you posted of any meet ups planned.
Rae
x

Danica

Hi ladies,

I saw the post and thought I would join in. I live just south of Milton Keynes so on the herts/beds/bucks boarder.

I'm just over halfway through chemo on weekly taxol now till the end of may. I'm four months in had a mascotomy in nov with lymph node removal. Mines a invasive cancer too.

Rae, I'm only 32 so understand your fears regarding body image etc. please feel free to message me. I used the cold cap once and didn't like it but I still have hair, I'm bald on top and had three hair cuts since my diagnoses to help me get used to it going.

My hubby takes me away just before chemo it helps as a good distraction...well while I was on three weekly not the weekly.

It's lovely to hear your all in the local area and maybe I can meet up with you all at some point?

Charlotte

Patchit

Hi Rae

Glad to hear you had a lovely time in Southwold. Its a lovely place to wander round, lots of lovely little shops!

I have just replied to your contact request, hope you get my message ok. I will send you the details for the classes, it will be lovely to meet up with you too. I am going to the same place tomorrow morning for Jasmin to give me a no 2! Its not very nice when your hair starts to fall out and I feel it will be bette to just let it go now!

Going to catch up with the other Marchies now! Hope to hear from you soon.

Joan xx

raechi

Hi Joan,
BAck from Southwold and yes it was beautiful. We stayed at a place called Sutherland House (its a restuarant with rooms) - and very nice.
We had a nice wander round, just relaxing and enjoying the sun. We want to Aldeburgh yesterday too before coming home. It was such a shame to leave.
ALthough it was nice to try and put the cancer out of my head for a day or so - which i struggle with!

It would be great to join you on those classes. Thank you for thinking of me. Please feek free to send me on the details. I'll message you my e-mail address.

I'm please you all met up - it bet its nice to put faces to names 🙂

I'm all set to get my hair chopped off on Thursday...(its shoulder length right now). And then my first juicing at 08:30 Friday morning.
I have to say though, reading your posts you ladies do seem to be coping really well. I defintiely makes me less scared!

Now to try and catch up on the March chemo thread... it may take a while. There have been some busy posters 🙂

Take Care,

Rae
x

Patchit

Hi Rae

Hope you had a lovely time in Southwold. Was the weather kind to you?

Caren, Carolyn and I met up at Lister yesterday. It's just as well we hadn't arranged to meet you as they were running 2.5 hours behind schedule! We met Jasmine, the hair lady who is lovely and kind. She runs some workshops at a salon in the old town in Stevenage, so we wondered if you may like to book on to one of those with us? There is one on 19th April and one on 26th April, one for hair and one for make up. Anyway, let me know if you would like to do that and I will send you the details so that you can book on too if you would like to.

Joan xxx

Patchit

Hi Rae

What a lovely surprise! Southwold is beautiful, hope you have some good weather! Have fish and chips from the chippy sitting on the sea front wall. Yum, yum, but watch out for the seagulls!

We will arrange another get together in the weeks to come. Sure we will all meet up before long. Where are you having your chemo?

Have a lovely little break!
Joan xxx and hugs

Care_N

Hi Rae, I'm sorry that you can't come tomorrow, but have a fabulous time at Southwold, how lovely of him to do that for you!

I hope we will arrange to meet again, I'm sure we will, and will definitely let you know.

Love and hugs
Caren
xx

raechi

Hello lovely ladies,

I'm afraid i am not going to be able to meet you on Monday (i'm disappointed actually).

ALthough it is down to a surprise from my bf - he is taking me to the coast to Southwold today and we are staying overnight..coming back tomorrow...bless him - he wanted us to do something nice before i start chemo on Friday...

I really do want to meet you all though - so if you do arrange to meet up again please think of me 🙂

Hope you are all ok and your SE's are not driving you potty!!

Take care and big hugs,

Rae
xx

Care_N

Hi All,

My appointment is 11.20 on Monday - I was there at around the same time last Monday for an appointment with Jasmin (hair care), and the waiting times were over an hour, so lets hope its not the same.

Rachael I'm so sorry I missed your messaage, we could have arranged this ages ago and I've been sat around getting bored. I hope you feel better over the weekend, if you can't manage the drive, maybe we could arrange something closer to where you are?

Really looking forward to meeting you all!
Caren x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rae

My appt is 11 15, think Joan and Caren are straight after. Would love to see you, here's hoping your up to driving.

Carolyn xxx

raechi

Hi Joan,
That would be lovely. I have not had a mx yet I am having my chemo first. I had the sentinel node biopsy a week ago now. I did try driving yesterday but the movement makes my armpit a little sore. Will see how it fairs over the weekend. Keep me posted on plans 🙂
Rae
X

Patchit

Hi Rae

We all have appointments late morning, I am fairly sure they are all before 12. Lister is in Stevenage, if you come off the A1 at Stevenage north (think its junction 10), I am fairly certain its signposted from there. Its 2nd exit off the roundabout after leaving the A1. At the next roundabout turn left. Lister is on your left. You need to go in the second entrance for the multi storey if you cant park on the road. I would happily offer you a lift, but I am not sure exactly where you are coming from and also you would have to sit and wait for us to all have our appointments! I suppose we can sort out the details over the weekend? Maybe Carolyn and Caren can confirm their appointment times. Save scrolling back through all the posts on the March thread!

Its not long since you had surgery, is it? It would be lovely for us all to get together!

Joan xx

raechi

Hi Joan,
That would be really nice - hopefully i will be ok to drive then. I've never been to the Lister - where is it?
It would be lovely to meet you all in person. What kind of time were you thinking?
Rae
x

Patchit

Hi Rae and anyone else local!

Carolyn, Caren and I are meeting up next Monday at Lister as we all have appointments late morning. Are you about, if so would you like to join us, or anyone else interested in having a coffee and chat?

Joan x

raechi

Well we shall organise something then 🙂
I dont mind travelling..where would be best for everyone? I'm rubbish with geography!
I drive to Welwyn for work normally but am working from home at the moment..

Rae
x

Care_N

Hi Raechi,

I certainly would be, I'm in Hertfordshire, so not too far from you.

Caren

raechi

Hi all,
Hope you are all well. I was wondering if anyone did fancy a meet up at some stage. No pressure..
Would just be nice,
Thanks,
Rachael

raechi

Well d day has been and gone. I now need a sentinel node biopsy. Looks like chemo will start mid march all being well. Praying the biopsy comes back clear.
Hope everyone is doing ok.
Rae
X

raechi

I would defintely be happy to meet up if others wanted to 🙂

Hope all of you are doing well today. Lets hope we have some lovely sunshine for the weekend.

Rae
x