Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Nipples!

11 REPLIES 11
AnnaG

Re: New Nipples!

Hi Lyn,
sorry for butting in, just wondered how you have been through your chemo and rads., as lost touch when your internet kept going down. You were having trouble with some of your wounds healing up.if i remember rightly.Glad to hear things seem to be going ok for you now.
I've finished rads, and waiting for first check-up with onc.team. I'm not thinking of recon at the moment. Waiting to see what may happen with my remaining breast.
Anna x

palomino98

Can they use the skin from dog-ears at the end of a DIEP scar to construct a new nipple? Mine can't be done for a while, just finish rads this week, but the scar and dog-ears seem to be a similar pale brown colour to the remaining one. The circular scar where the abdominal skin was stitched in is different, deep pink, and the circle of skin is much paler than the breast skin, and much wider than the areola on the other side, so I think it's going to look daft anyway, but right now I can't imagine ever letting anyone other than medical staff see it!

mazaroo

Hi all .... I have decided not to have my nipple done as my recon is very tight and there doesnt seem any spare skin ....good luck to all you ladies that have had successful ones xxxxxx

sunflower8

Hi girls - I had a nipple graft taken from the 'good' side at the same time as I had a MX with immediate tram flap recon. I was apprehensive as I didn't want to lose any sensation on the other nipple but I needn't have worried - there isn't any change in it. To begin with the new nipple looked like a dried up raisin but then that fell off after a couple of eeks leaving a lovely little pink blob! I will have the 'areola' area tattooed in the new year and it will hopefully look better.
Yes - how do they do all this?????

poannie

I was under local and it only took around an hour......

......I can't quite explain how they did it so we shall try some actions for you to do to see if this makes it any easier.....

1. Stretch out your arms.... horizontally so they are out from your side. (as if you are doing half a star jump LOL)
2. Wrap your arms round to in front of you, as if there was someone in front of you and you were hugging them. Your hands should be clasped.
3. Bend your head in front of you so it is in the gap where the fictional person you are hugging should be.

Where you arms were stretchd out symbolises where my mastectomy scar was. The bending of your arms round symbolises the 2 flaps they cut on each nubbin site, to make up the 'height' of the nubbin (like a cake tin lining would define the shape of the cake - mmmmm cake) Your head, bent into the space in front of you, symbolises the 'head' of the nubbin. These 3 flaps of skin and tissue were then sewn in an elaborate manner and then some sponge, similar to the shape and size of a pineapple ring, was placed over each nubbin for support and a clear plaster stuck over each ring for safety.

I went to the clinic today and they removed my dressings and had a look. From the smug smile on my consultant's face, I knew it was a good job...

I have a new set of dressings on which I can remove next Monday myself - I'm going to ask my husband to do the 'unveiling' for me, so he feels part of it.

julro

I had my nipples done last week, sound the same as absimums reconstruction.The surgeon asked me if I wanted to look, and they did look strange, like the top of my little finger sticking out of the breast. I had the dressing changed today, and they did look a bit calmer.
I had the dog ears done as well, and the op under local took 2 hours for all 4 areas. I felt a bit sick afterwards and sore on the sides and had a few days off work.

gillc

Hi girls
So how did the rest of you have your nipples done? I've been told that I can use ear lobe, nipple share (from my one remaining nipple) or use my labia!!
Anyone had any of the above done? Any recommendations? How long were you off work for?
Thanks
Love Gill x

abismum

Hi everyone

I had a nipple recon on Thursday, it took about an hour and a quarter under local. Went home after tea and toast. I was given a quick look before the dressings went on, very odd! red blob! It is now covered, the dressings come off on 25th.

It was done with an angel shape cut into the skin that replaced the nipple when the recon was done. The wings of the angel are twisted round and stitched in place. I couldn't see how it was done but it must work. There are no nerves in the area, so almost no pain, just felt a bit sore for a couple of days more from the pushing and pulling that went on!

I can have the area tattooed when it is all healed and I shall be as good as new.

BeverleyButton

Hi Poannie

I had my nipple created 5 weeks ago, it took 1 1/2 hours under local - no pain and looks brillant, could have it tattooed but waiting for it to heal a little more. How do they do it?

Bev

cher33

hi poannie,

cant answer your question as not having mine done for 2 weeks but wondered if you were in hospital long, did you have local or general anesthetic, and are you sore or in any pain?

Cheryl x

gillc

Hi Poannie
I am due to have a new nipple in the new year following my DIEP flap last July. How did they create yours? Can you please tell me what the op was like, how long it took etc.
Can't wait to have mine done-I love my new boob but it does look odd without a nipple!
Thanks
love Gill x

poannie

New Nipples!

I got new nipples created on Friday.... I've still got dressings on as I go to the clinic for a check and change of dressings tomorrow.

Just wondering how long it took for others to heal enough to get the tattoo finished off and then wave goodbye to bloody surgeries!!

Thanks x