New Primary in other breast- benefits of masectomy?

Hello,

I originally posted this in the dg with BC section but think it is better fitted to this part if the forum.
I was Dg 3 years ago G3- had chemo/rads/herceptin/tamoxifen . At my mamagram last week I got a call back and was subs dg with BC in my other breast. I am waiting for my core biopsy results re grading etc but the consensus is that due to my age (just turned 39) it’s likely to be G3.
I really feel like the time has come for me to have a double masectomy/reconstruction- I know that they are not keen on doing this but I think that for me it would be the right decision, both from a health and psychological perspective. I’m just wondering if anyone has had any experience of this that they would be willing to share? Thank you

Hi Lab123

Along with the support and shared experiences here, please see our ‘Someone like me’ team of volunteers as there may be someone who has had similar experiences who can offer you support:

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/support-you/someone-talk/someone-me

Our younger women together events may also be something you may benefit from, you can meet others and gain support and information on these 2 day events held around the country, here’s a link to the dates and venues:

breastcancercare.org.uk/support/younger-women-together-manchester

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Lucy. 14 years ago I had aged 38 mast/recon plus chemo. My maternal side do not hv the brca gene but one yet to be discovered - mum has had bc twice. At the time I considered bilateral but my three kids were small so they thought too hard for me at the time. I’m now having to have chemo again and will hv another mast/recon in the autumn. It’s a very personal decision but I wish I had opted for the double back then. Hope you do well.

Hi my original diagnosis was 2006 aged 36. I had a WLE, chemo and radio. Second diagnosis Dec 2014 (other breast) so I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using LD flap. In view of history I asked for double and was refused. I now have to go through it all again on the other side. I wish you the best of luck, I wish I could have had a double however one down one to go … .I wish I had a mastectomy in 2006 but we are where we are! X

Hi my original diagnosis was 2006 aged 36. I had a WLE, chemo and radio. Second diagnosis Dec 2014 (other breast) so I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using LD flap. In view of history I asked for double and was refused. I now have to go through it all again on the other side. I wish you the best of luck, I wish I could have had a double however one down one to go … .I wish I had a mastectomy in 2006 but we are where we are! X

I’m just back from hearing that I have a new primary in my left breast. Lumpectomy, chemo and rads on the right in 2012/13. It was spotted during year.y mammogram. I’ve been offered the same treatment unless a further biopsy shows a bigger tumour. I’m considering asking for a double mastectomy to get this all over. Don’t know what the decision will be. This thread has been a great one to consider options thank you

Hi all, I had a WLE / Lymph clearance/Rad/Tamox, 2002 in R breast, just been dia same breast, so mastectomy this time and think I am going to have a DIAP recon but I want a double mastectomy. Talked with one surgeon, he was against but going to speak to another next week after the results of bone scan and CT that I had today. Dont know what to do really just dont want to go through this again! Thanks