New To Site, Take 2

Okay. Now I think Im getting the hang of this. So I initially tried to join in discussion by replying to last post (sorry Neeka for piggy-backing). Now I see that I just need to open new topic and introduce myself…so here I am. All the pertinent deets are in my profile, but just want to say that I have been reading the site for a couple of days and just decidede today to join in. I tried a couple of face-to-face support groups but found that I really didn’t like going at all (mostly I just cried a lot and ended up more depressed then when I started). I think that maybe this kind of forum will work better for me so here goes…

Hi VonnieGirl

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where you will find that the users of this site have a wealth of knowledge and experience between them. Here at BCC we have a number of publications that you might find useful, just click onto the ‘information’ tab at the top of the page and this will lead you to our publications catalogue, if there’s something you can’t find please ask and one of the moderating team will do our best to direct you. Alternatively our freefone helpline staff are just a phone call away if you need that good listening ear 0808 800 6000, lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Hi VonnieGirl

I’m 4 years older than you and was dx Sept 2011. I started using the Forum part way through chemo, initially just reading before plucking up courage to post a comment. I’ve found the site really helpful as, other than one friend who went through the same as me 12 months earlier, I find no-one else really understands how I feel but that may be partly because I don’t want to keep talking about it as I think they’d get fed up. Once treatment finishes people just expect you to be back to normal and don’t realise the mental difficulties that a cancer diagnosis leaves you with. That’s why I still use the Forum.

You should find the support you need here. I also like to be able to offer support to those who are new to it all. I remember only too well how I felt waiting for diagnosis when I hadn’t shared my worries with anyone at all. I only told one friend after the tests as deep down I knew it wasn’t likely to be a good outcome. Fortunately he took me to my diagnosis.

I’m sorry to hear of your latest worry. I developed symptoms which made me panic about the same issue as yours. However, a blood test suggested an overactive thyroid so I’ve just had another test and am waiting for the results, although I’m feeling a lot better now so maybe it was just a blip.

I hope you’re feeling a bit happier.

Best wishes.
X