New and diagnosed with bc yesterday

my head pretty much all over the place just now. Got results from core biopsy yest and told I need mastectomy on left breast in next 2 - 3 weeks. Going in to get lymph nodes tested on wed. Just feel like my world crashing round about me, but trying to stay strong for my 2 kids and husband. Told I have 1 mass that is cancerous and one with pre-cancerous cells.
Had to make a decision on reconstruction procedure quickly.
Family and friends have been great but just feel physically sick.
Good to know your not alone with a site like this xxx

Hi Debs75

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I’m sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

Whilst you wait for the the other users to reply with their experience and support you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They are there to offer emotional support and practical information and are on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi debs75,Just wanted to say hi.Sorry I can’t help you on reconstruction as I am waiting to go in for a second wle as first wasn’t clear but I’m sure someone will be along shortly to give you some advice.take care meggy x

Hi deb 75 I am still waiting for my tests for my mass on left breast , so don’t have any personal experience with reconstruction But my friends mum had double mx and recon this year and her new boobs are great! She had implants put in… New woman and very confident… Have you been given the Option of implants Hun? I had implants 8years ago after loosing a lot of weight to cheer me up and they have truly done that for the last 8years chick…take care xx

Hi Debs. I have Grade 2 Invasive Ductal Breast Cancer and am having my operation on 17th May. I am having a reconstruction at the same time as my quadrantectomy as I have very big boobs and my surgeon has said that she has plenty to play with (as it were!) I am also having a breast reduction in my right breast at the same time to even me up.

It is the worst time waiting around and watching how people around you treat you differently, some good, some not so good.

There is a lot of support and understanding on these forums. I have found it very useful and also know that it is Ok to feel the way we do and we have permission to be scared, angry, sad if we need to be.

Look after yourself at this time. Best wishes, Jan x

Hi Debs,
Sorry you find yourself here but there is a lot of support from other forum users. I had a lumpectomey but I believe that you don’t have to rush into a decision about post mastectomy reconstruction immediately - you can delay it. There’s some very helpful information on this site at
breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/treating-breast-cancer/surgery/reconstruction
Also do give the BCC helpline a ring they are really good at talking through treatment options. Once you have a treatment plan it is actually easier. At first when you get the diagnosis you feel as if you have been hit by a truck. Take care and hope all goes well
Nora

Thanks everyone for your support. It’s good to speak to people in the same position. My consultant was keen on me to think about reconstruction as he feels at my age (38) I would want it done at a later date. Have to see a plastic surgeon this week. They are suggesting taking muscle and tissue from my back for reconstruction. lymph node scan came back clear, but told that is not always 100%, so keeping everything crossed that stays the same when they check them properly on Wednesday.
Wishing everyone the best for results and operations, we can fight this!
Big hugs and thanks

Debs x

Thanks Emz76 I am meeting with plastic surgeon on Friday. Have def made up my mind to go for recon but just need to discuss the options. Am going for my mastectomy on 6 June so things are all go. Have you had your results back, am keeping everything crossed for you. Thanks for getting in touch with me debs75 xxx

I had a Mx and immediate LD back flap with implants reconstruction 16 weeks ago. It was the best decision for me, 1 am 52 and 38c my new boob looks great, feels like me and I am now back to doing most things that I did before this nightmare began. I go the gym 2 -3 times a week and walk my dogs for an hour daily. It is a long operation, i was in theatre nearly 10 hours and in , hospital for 7 days but I was never really in any pain. You are extremely restricted with arm movement for the first 6 weeks. If you want to know anything else just post again or message me …happy to share my experiences. Hope tHis helps. Xx