1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New and needing to know, Is it just me?

14 REPLIES 14
millymolly_m

Re: New and needing to know, Is it just me?

Diane,
Hope you have been back to hosp to get someone to look at you. I have a drain in just now following ANC and am very frightened that I'll fill up with goo when they remove it. It blocked the other night and I too struggled to get help. Please try to get someone to speak for you. My OH had to be quite firm to get me the help I needed.
Big hugs,
M x
millymolly_m

Diane,
Hope you have been back to hosp to get someone to look at you. I have a drain in just now following ANC and am very frightened that I'll fill up with goo when they remove it. It blocked the other night and I too struggled to get help. Please try to get someone to speak for you. My OH had to be quite firm to get me the help I needed.
Big hugs,
M x
mandyj

Hi Diane
When I was a staff nurse our ward cared for patients having breast surgery. We always advised patients to call us if there was a problem over weekends and bank holidays. They may be able to let you know what you need to do. As for the consultant, you just ring the hospital where you had the surgery done and ask to be put through to your consultants secretary. She/He will sort you out as they are the consultants diary and right hand woman/man. From my experience the secretarys are usually on the ball and have all your details and information at hand. It's just a shame they don't work weekends!
If you are in a lot of pain then ring A+E and ask them for advice before you go up there. It gives you chance to let them know you will be attending or they may advise you about the best course of action.
Never be afraid to phone these hospital departments, they really don't mind. Not enough people do and spend too much time worrying at home.
Good luck, it will be sorted eventually.
mandyj.x
Cybele

Only just seen this, and maybe you've done s oalready, but I would reiterate what others have said:
You do NOT have to suffer like this - go to A & E.
As a cancer patient , you are a priority for urgent help if you need it.
I have had to go to A & E twice, once after my op, once with the chemo, and in both cases I was seen pretty much immediately, and they were brilliant.
I really hope you will get some help this morning.
The thing is, you do have to demand it, and it's so hard to do when you're feeling so bad, but it's definitely worth it.
BIG HUG , hope you wil lget help and be feeling better soon xxx
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi diane
so sorry to hear your problems with draining; I think what's needed here is:
You need is a good friend to go with you and speak on our behalf; all too often we just put up with things that we really should be stronger about !!! you clearly are in pain and when feeling like that you probably don't have much confidence to speak up as much as you would if you we're feeling ok .
I wish I was there to offer you the support as I know how hard it is to cope with Bc ; let alone all the complications that go with it,,,, get someone to take you to the critical care or A/E dept......(you need someone with influence and determination) That's what they are there for and your well being is much a priority as any one else xxx big hugs and good luck
Sam_BCC

Hi Diane

I'm sorry to read you couldn't get through to the BCC helpline and that you're still struggling with this. As Funkilala says do go to your local Critical Care department or A&E unit if you need to. The helpline will be open again this morning if you would like to ring the lines are open between 10am and 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

mandyp

Diane - how are you doing? Remember you should be a priority patient.
Xxxx
Funkilala

Hi Diane
I'm in a completely different part of the country to you and things may not be the same where you live but if I were you I would would ring NHS direct and get them to have a GP call you back and see what he suggests.

Or
Go to my nearest Critical Care department which is like an A & E but smaller and it's open 24/7
Or

Go to A&E

You cant stay like this till Monday.

Funki X

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies

Louise. I did call the dedicated help line, live chat thing, but there was no answer. Just every now and then a voice recording saying that all were busy and would ansewer me as soon as possible. I didnt hang up, because I am worrying about this. I held for 45 minutes, and at 5pm, the message changed. It said something about the opening hours, and to go to the website for help, Im sorry Louise, thank you but I tried that first, and sadly it was not helpfull. I do understand there are probably lots of people with lots of reasons to call, so its ok. I will try again, but it didnt work for me today.

Gaynor, I would not know how to contact my consultant. I called the number I was given, my dedicated Macmillon nurse, who was the one to tried to drain the fluid. When I got to the hospital breast unit, it was in darkness, so I am glad that she was there, and she did tell me that she had to leave at 2.30, She did try for 45 Minuts to drain fluid off, but it just didnt work. I asked her how much in total we have removed, and she said, maybe 50ml. She did say that she predicted that there would be about 800 ml to drain, this was before we started of course.

Mandy P, thank you for your reply. I only have the number for the main hospital, my macmillan nurse who did see me, and the helpline. I dont have a contact number for my consultant, and it was clear when I got there, that the whole unit was closed anyway, and the only person there was the one who saw to me.
I dont know, but maybe here in Barnsley, friday is finish early day? I was upset when i left, and in some discomfort, and I was trying to be "normal" because my daughter was with me, who reacts to me, and I didnt want to upset her by demading things.
Im feeling scared, because if you read my other message, you will see I wrote abo9ut the agonising pain I had with the drain, felt like i was being hit with a tazor etc.... Im frighted that it will hurt me again like that as the fluid builds up over the weekend, pressing on raw nerves etc.
I dont know really what to do, I am just really at the point now of feeling like saying to hell with it all, but what then? Id run away from myself right now if I could.
Im worried that on Monday, they wont be able to get any and offer me another drain, but im really frightened of that because of what happend when i had it last time.
I really dont know, but I appreciate that you took time to reply and try to offer some confort.

Diane
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Diane

I had a mastectomy and 7 lymph nodes removedd on 27th November and I have the same problem with seroma.
When I first went the doctor said dont worry it will go away , a week later they drained 880mls, the nest day 220, then each day 180, 220, 330. They decided just before christmas that they would send me for a ultra sound scan as they were struggling to get any fluid out but I was still swollen. My luck had ultra sound , person unable to drain, so sent with a mark on my stomach x marks the spot and they drained 120mls. Today they tried to drain again and after 6 stabs with the needle and 3 doctors later they decided that i needed to have another ultra sound with drain!!!
Mind feels tight especially when I have been sitting for a long time , but on the last ultra sound he showed me the different pockets which was the reason why they were having difficulty finding a site to drain. So dont worry, but I would if I was you push for a scan with drain.
Hang in there on this long road

Best wishes Norma
Guest user
Not applicable

also it does get easier , and it will get bigger, but when they drain you will be as flat as a pancake !!
GMT
Volunteer
Volunteer

If it helps, I agree with mandyp. I wouldn't like to be left like this for a weekend. I can't comment from experience as my mx was straight forward and I didn't have any nodes taken.
Hope you get it sorted soon.
Gaynorx

mandyp

Diane - have you contacted your consultant - personally I wouldnt want to be left like that for the weekend - before everyone goes home for the weekend, can you not recontact the unit and demand that a consultant see you?
Mx
Louise_BCC

Hi Diane

Whilst you're waiting for replies, I just thought I'd say that you might find it useful to talk through your concerns with one of our nurses on the Helpline. They're open tomorrow 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 and again Monday to Friday 9-5.

Do give them a call in the morning if you need to chat through things.

Kind regards.

Louise, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

New and needing to know, Is it just me?

Hello to anyone who is reading, thank you. I am Diane.

I wish I could write it all down, but I can't at the moment.
I have looked for any threads on the subject of, " Fluid, and what to do if it wont drain"
I am one of those people who produce a lot of fluid. I had a Masectomy and 27 lymph nodes removed from under arm.
I am not kidding when I say, it looks like my breast has grown back. Its the same size now as the good one, and I have been to have the fluid drained, but it wont drain.
So, nurse changed the needle incase it was blocked. 12 attempts later in various parts of the scar, and me feeling some what light headed, she leaves, returning with a huge syringe, and says, we will suck it out with this.
6 attempts at that. I left hospital. She told me, im very sorry, come back on Monday. In the mean time take paracetemol for the pain.
Im home. Im crying and feeling very stupid and sorry for myself. If the4 nurse can't drain it, well what then. Its getting bigger and bigger and I am feeling sore, low, and very sorry for my self.
What if on Monday, It's now friday, what if monday, they still can't drain it off. Im already in too much pain with this, and it's only going to get bigger right?

Please, can anyone tell me something good becauese I am now, probably at the lowest point.
Diane.