New cancer drug in the news

I saw the headline on the front of the Daily Express and have found a link to their article online. Not a great source i know but here it is:

express.co.uk/posts/view/283527/Wonder-drug-to-kill-off-cancer

Here’s another link:
sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111113141407.htm

This new drug they say doesn’t have the side effects of other drugs and apparantly causes the cancer cells to ‘commit suicide’. It says it could become available in 5 years.
Here’s hoping that this is an important new breakthrough.

Elinda x

Hi elinda45, this is very interesting thanks for posting, I will keep my eyes firmly planted on this subject and post if I hear anymore.
Love and light
sarahlousie xxx

Thanks elinda- I saw this in the paper this morn. I’m hoping it is available much quicker than in 5yrs and will be resesarching where the trials are being held (although I think most of the progress has been in the US).
Fingers crossed hey :slight_smile:
Tina x

Mmm, suicidal cancer cells, I like the sound of this drug.

Me too, AlexD!

Thanks for sharing this Elinda, it is always brilliant and encouraging to hear new drugs are being developed. What miserable comments on the Daily Express article though!

I don’t want to be a downie let’s hope if it comes out the nhs let us have it most things the nhs won’t pay for

Sallieannie - I hadn’t read the comments on the Daily Express site - see what you mean!

The only hope is that this is a really effective drug and therefore it will more than pay for itself. One of the good things is that it seems to work for a variety of different types of cancer. If we think about the cost of chemo (drugs, nursing staff) and all the other care and drugs that go alongside that, it could be more cost effective.
Let’s hope so although I agree it could be a while before it reaches the UK. Elinda x