cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New diagnosis

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted

Re: New diagnosis

Oh Molliebee, I am so sorry, just as you think you have come through it, it always seems to throw you a curve ball, it's never straight forward is it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you that it's positive news,that's all any of us can do. Ongoing treatment hasn't been discussed with me yet, I am hoping with a mastectomy if all the cancer is gone I won't need any but no doubt that's simplistic thinking!

Anyway Thank you for the support and encouraging words, it really does help. Please also let me know how you are going as you find out.

Janet x

Highlighted

Hi Janet, thanks for your good wishes.  I do hope your mastectomy goes well.  Mine was ok, not as painful as you might think, and although I was upset and tearful at first, I am quickly getting used to my lopsided look and even with only using the  softie I don't look too bad in my clothes, don't think anyone would notice.  However, had my dressings removed yesterday and got results after the op.  Had a lot of DCIS and also another small tumour which is HR negative,  original was positive, so this makes another complication.  Surgeon wants me to have an MRI on the other breast and also now talking about radio/chemo therapy.  Originally I was not going to have any ongoing treatment so this feels like a real setback.  It may all be ok but very uncertain again now.  I should have known, cancer is never that simple.  A bit depressing, I thought I was on the way to being over it.  Good luck with yours, I wish you all the very best for Tuesday, don't worry, you will be over it before you know it and only a few days before you come to terms with your "new look".  It's really not so bad.  Let me know how you feel after.

Highlighted

Hi Carmia,

Sorry to hear your diagnosis, it seems as though your partner is being very supportive which is great. How are you feeling now, have you found out anymore information regarding treatment?

thinking of you and hope you had a lovely holiday

janet x

Highlighted

Hi Mollybee, I've finally found you, I seem to have lost my original post! So glad to hear your surgery went well and it was the right choice for you. I went in for WLE and SNB on 13th then yesterday was told that lymph nodes were clear but margins weren't so a mastectomy is the only option. I'm going in next Tuesday 4th. Feeling a bit crappy right now as I really thought that was it but I'll get through it. Like you I think it will be emotional afterwards seeing you missing a part of you that's been there forever!! Hope you start to feel better about it as you get used to it.

Hi again to Jill1998 as well, hope you are doing okay?

janet X

Highlighted
Community Champion

Nice to hear such a hopeful story Seagulls,thank you .
Highlighted

I'm one of the survivors. I had some of my left breast removed, radiotherapy and took tamoxifen for a few years as my kind of cancer was oestrogen positive. I had a small tumour, low grade cancer which is more treatable and no spread to my lymph nodes. All treatment is tailored nowadays depending on how abnormal the cells are, how big the tumour is, and the kind of breast cancer you have. It's quite difficult to compare with other women as there are many differences in the likelihood of spread. More is being learnt every day about how this happens too.

I had breast cancer diagnosed on 5 Dec 2003, was operated on 19 Dec and finished treatment by Easter 2004 except for the tamoxifen.

I was 49 at diagnosis and my 60th birthday is in a week or two.

Highlighted

We are both at early days, but I am sure we will continue to fight 🙂 the ladies on this site keep me level headed xx
Highlighted

I know, it's out, and that's all that matters in the end. I will deal with it - early days yet but I will get there. And this forum is a massive help. So many lovely supportive women. It's terrible that there're so many of us but we are there for each other and that's such a big help.
Highlighted

You have to think that it's out and that now you can continue fighting until it's all gone. It's a scar we have to bear but with time we will all be able to deal with it out own ways xx chin up. Plus we have all the lovely ladies around us to help when we need support xxxx
Highlighted

Thanks Sarahd-1, you are right it's part of who we are and has now been taken away. Everyone says I am still me, and I know that's right. We are still ourselves inside, it's only the outer covering that has changed. In time we will learn to accept that. All best wishes to you for a good outcome and I'm sure you will come through it well. xx
Highlighted

Thanks Ange, you too, I hope you come through ok. We are all in this together and it's quite a process. Coming to terms with how we look and accepting it is I suppose just a matter of time. You do feel unfeminine and I also dread people feeling sorry for me. Grateful to be "cured" but hating the way I look - Hoping it will all be straightened out as time goes on. All the best and hope we both come to terms and enjoy better health.
Highlighted

Molly bee you are not being vain. Having boobs is part of being a woman. It feel like part of you has been taken away. You are being very brave and in time you will get used to it. I feel the same. I'm only 3 weeks in after op so not far behind xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi Molliebee, I had mine in Tuesday and I understand how you feel. Had very bad pain yesterday but it had eased a little today. I am the same it's strange to look at a wonky chest makes you feel unfeminine. I guess it's something we will both deal with eventually. Keep your chin up sweetie xxxx
Highlighted

Good luck if you still have your surgery to come.
Highlighted

Hi MadAnge, thanks for that, you are right that we make our personal decisions and have the final say. I had a few doubts but have now had my mastectomy on Thursday. I am fine physically, no real pain or problems so far but I am surprised how upset I feel. I thought I would be fine and no mental problems but now feeling like a freak. I hate the look of just one boob, it looks so odd, and I'm a bit tearful. I know I should just be happy I am free of cancer but I hate the way I look. Suppose this means I am vain, but it's early days yet, hope I will settle and come to terms with it. Have you had your surgery yet? How are you feeling about it?
K
Highlighted

Hi Molliebee I found my first tumour by luck following the usual tests they found more so Aftet discussions with my BCN and my consultant we went for a masectomy. It mean all my areas could be removed in one operation as the likelihood of removal by lumpectomy was low and it would mean numerous operations. What you choose will be personal to you just listen to what you are advised only you have the final say. The ladies here are marvellous and to be honest they are keeping me level headed and are offering amazing advice. It is a difficult time but these ladies are amazing xxxx big hugs xxx
Highlighted

Carmia, I had an invasive tumour but when I had the WLE to remove it successfully, some low-grade, ductal cancer was also present. From what I know ( which is not a lot!) this does happen sometimes. I could have had another WLE and it could be 5 or 10 years, or maybe never, that there is any problem. I was also due to have had radiotherapy after the WLE. But I opted for mastectomy with no further treatment because I feel I am at risk and the surgeon said I made a good decision. Try to enjoy your holiday although I do know how hard that is. Believe me you will feel so much better when all results are in and you know exactly what's going on. Even facing up to everything you have to go through is much better than not knowing, and imagining the worst as we all do. It's true that treatment is so different these days, there is so much they can do and you will come through and be with your partner for many many years. Thank you for your good wishes, it is really helpful to know that others know how we feel and so many of us have been here before and survived. The waiting time seems to drag but you will get there, very best wishes for your surgery, let us know how you get on. x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Carmia,I was diagnosed on 28th May.It truly is totally overwhelming at first ,your whole world is turned upside down and you can't imagine doing anything normal again,but it does get better once you know more and you know what you are dealing with.It must be very difficult for you to know your other half lost his wife to this horrible disease ,but please remember that the vast majority of us will still be here in 10 years time,breast cancer treatment has come on amazingly in last few years and there is a very very good chance you will survive this.There are quite a few ladies at a similar stage talking on the "Just diagnosed and wanting to talk to people who understand" thread if you want to join us.
Highlighted

Thank you mollybear, did they find more when you had the WLE, they have already to me I will need radiotherapy, not sure about chemo, have to wait for Bx results, I am sorry to hear you will need mastectomy, I do have an appointment with my breast care nurse 10/8 but can ring her at any time, we have come away in caravan, my partner thought it would help, and it is nice to be away, but I feel miserable and I am trying to be strong... Good luck my lovely,hope everything goes well for you
Highlighted

Carmia, so sorry to hear your diagnosis. What do you have to decide? Have they offered mastectomy as an option? You need to talk to surgeon or your breast cancer care nurse. Ask for an appointment, they are very knowledgeable and always helpful and nice. You are at the worst stage of the process, not knowing is torture. When you have all the facts and know what is happening you will feel so much better. I have had WLE but more was found and now waiting for a mastectomy, my own choice. Could choose the lesser surgery but have had it before so now just want to be free of the worry. I know it must make the decision harder being in a new relationship. You might not need radiotherapy, I don't need that or chemo, it's not automatic. You need more information, call the hospital and ask to speak to BCC nurse. They are there to advise. Good luck!
Highlighted

New diagnosis

hello, got the news last Wednesday, I have breast cancer, a 19mm tumour in my left breast, I am all over the place, strong then weak, had to cancel our holiday, my partner is being great, we are a new partnership, almost a year, his first wife died of breast cancer, how do you deal with that? She had a wide local excision, I cant decide, how do you decide? I can't bear to touch it or have it touched, my op is 13/8 then a wait of 3 weeks to see if it has spread, does the radiotherapy start then? And how long for? This is so hard to deal with.