New girl

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed on the 20th Feb and somehow found myself in hospital a week later having a masectomy. I’m sat at home recovering now and still waiting for someone to tell me they’ve got it wrong! I guess that’s not going to happen which is how I’ve found myself on this site. I’ve made the mistake of googleing which I know everyone says don’t but it’s really hard not to, I think I’m just looking for someone who can tell me that if I go through all this rubbish I’m going to survive. I’ve got so many questions but thought I would start with Hello first.

Hello Foxy01

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

hi foxy
i was diagnosed on 6th feb and had mastectomy last week on 5th march. i felt the same, thought i was going to die and all that, now im looking forward to going back to work and getting a new boob reconstructed next year and whatever has to be done will be done i’m sure. so far so good, thats how i see it, and i think thats probably best, not to load your mind up with ‘what if’ and just deal with little bits at a time. keep off the google unless youre looking for a nice bra and occupy yourself with happy tasks. its working for me up to yet, its such a smack in the face when it happens isnt it, but you can change your mindset and look at the positives if you try.
hope this helps, there are lots of lovely ladies on here who will chat with you or let you have a moan, and its a real big help to know that there are so many others doing the same as you, or have done the same in the past.
any niggles you want to talk about, this is the place, youre not on your own.
big happy cheery smiles to you
angie x

Hi Foxy

We are ALL survivors on here. You will feel more optimistic when you have your surgery results (more waiting I’m afraid) then they can provide you with a treatment plan which will make you feel as if your are doing something.

Was dx November 2012, Mx and snb 12.12.12. tumour was 3cm, grade 3, stage 2b, three nodes removed, one with cancer cells, ER+ PR+ HER2-. Now having chemo Fec T. Am supposed to be having rads, but don’t want them unless I REALLY have to, then five years on a hormone tablet. I’m feeling fine - although tired, and can see the end of treatment ahead.
Good luck, sending big hugs. Poemsgalore xxx

Hi Foxy,
Just wanted 2 say hello.I was dx with bc on 28th Dec 2012 stage 2a grade 3 with no lymp node involvement ER an her2 +,so il be havin all the lot wen it comes to treatment. Think u hav described how most of us felt wen we found out we had bc.Despit my sister havin bc in 2005 which made me more breast aware, im 1 of 9 sisters an out of all of them i would of considered my self the most health aware??? so it was defo how i felt. An like you i went straight on to the internet an freaked myself out. I convinced my self that every previous ailment i had was connected, i wish they could remove that part of your brain wen removeing the lump.lol ask as many questions as u need cause it does help to talk, if ther is anything on your mind that is worrying you, say it, an dont feel that its not worth mentioning. IT IS if you get answers/ peace of mind. Unfortunately none of us can tell what the future holds, but i do know that this treatment is giving me a fighting chance. I want to b around for as long as i can i have four beautiful kids who need me so bring it on.x
I hope all goes well for u.xox
Monicaxx

Hi I’m new here just looking to connect with people in similar situations. Am now 6 weeks post mastectomy & TRAM FLAP reconstruction & have just stated chemo none of it an easy pathway for anyone.

Hi Debbie, There is a thread in the chemotherapy section of the forums especially for those starting chemo in March, called Spring Into Chemo. Maybe you would like to join the ladies in there to share stories, and support one another. There is also one for February called February Valentines and a new group for April. Please take a look at the postings in there as you might find it helpful to see how others are coping with chemo. I’m a February Valentine and I don’t know what I’d do without the support of the other Valentines.

Big Hugs and good luck with your treatment.

Poemsgalore xxx

Hi Monica
Thank you so much for your message. It really helps talking to people that REALLY understand what it feels like. You go around with this very brave front for your family and friends when really you’re falling apart inside. Breast cancer seems to mess your head up just as much as your body.
Gail xx

Thank you for your kind words Angie, I think I could be using this site quite alot over the coming weeks!
Gail x